Your February 2018 cigar Awards

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best Montecristo No.2 from 2003. Just a wonderful smoke.

Best -  2015 Partagas Short. Superb, rich smoke.  Bought at Delhi Airport duty free. Tried one in the smoking room. So blown away I bought a second box with the same box code.  Worst - 2015

Best—2013 Sancho Panza Non Plus-was a salty stunner in what’s been a box of really good cigars. Worst—2015 CORO Tubos smoked a few days ago. Middle was passable, but paying the premium the whole d

Best—2013 Sancho Panza Non Plus-was a salty stunner in what’s been a box of really good cigars.

Worst—2015 CORO Tubos smoked a few days ago. Middle was passable, but paying the premium the whole damn thing should be awesome. It makes me very grouchy to get bad Cohiba. And no age wasn’t going to help this dog rocket. Harsh, bitter, tarry, burned horribly. Really hope it was an anomaly.

Here’s the **** in all its glory...
87ed0c027648ba406bbe5d92c490b8fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Worst: RnJ short Churchill picked up along with 6 other in Paris. Worse draw with little to no flavor. Ended up not finishing it due to the bitterness. 

Best: Partagas d 4 (2015). 

Best: HU Magnum 50 OBM DIC 16...  Was like smoking three cigars in one.  Each third had a very distinct and different profile

Worst: Rocky Patel Decade

I’m not home, so I can’t give box codes now, but...

Best: Cohiba Siglo VI, 2017.  It was surprisingly good for such a young cigar.

Worst:  VR Famosos, 2014.  It’s from a box that I keep waiting to come around, but it just doesn’t.  I typically do like this cigar though.

Best: Partagas P2 unknown box info

Worst: HDM DC unknown box info

I set up half a dozen trades in January, all for cigars I have never tried. I have been sampling them the last couple weeks and there have been many greats, but the P2 is what stands out the most. It was an excellent cigar, dark and oily in appearance, medium full, rich and delicious. Definitely now high up on my 24:24 want list. Unfortunately the HDM DC was maybe the biggest disappointment in a cigar I've ever had. The flavors were there at times, but the construction was horrible, if I had more I would have chucked it 5 minutes in. It felt like it weighed a pound, way over packed and with a draw so tight it gave me a headache almost instantly. I attempted to pull out tobacco from both ends which helped a bit but the draw was still way too tight. The whole cigar burned horribly and eventually fell apart on me. I will have to get another, as I am a huge fan of the DC format and the HDM DC being a legendary cigar, I have to imagine I just got stuck with a crap example of what the HDM DC can be. 

Best: Partagas P2 unknown box info
Worst: HDM DC unknown box info
I set up half a dozen trades in January, all for cigars I have never tried. I have been sampling them the last couple weeks and there have been many greats, but the P2 is what stands out the most. It was an excellent cigar, dark and oily in appearance, medium full, rich and delicious. Definitely now high up on my 24:24 want list. Unfortunately the HDM DC was maybe the biggest disappointment in a cigar I've ever had. The flavors were there at times, but the construction was horrible, if I had more I would have chucked it 5 minutes in. It felt like it weighed a pound, way over packed and with a draw so tight it gave me a headache almost instantly. I attempted to pull out tobacco from both ends which helped a bit but the draw was still way too tight. The whole cigar burned horribly and eventually fell apart on me. I will have to get another, as I am a huge fan of the DC format and the HDM DC being a legendary cigar, I have to imagine I just got stuck with a crap example of what the HDM DC can be. 

Sad to hear about the Hoyo DC, usually a stellar cigar

Best, Mur 13 RASS. These have legs.

I can’t comment on the worst. I got an URTI, that's an upper respiratory tract infection, that laid me out for 4 days and left me weak for two weeks. Not influenza, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Not too many cigars smoked last month.

3 hours ago, joeypots said:

I can comment on the worst. I got an URTI, that's an upper respiratory tract infection, that laid me out for 4 days and left me weak for two weeks.

is this an urti?!  :thinking:

image.thumb.jpeg.d004debce724bff73bda3fac0326d118.jpeg

• Haha 1

After a rather enjoyable cigar counseling session with a good friend I was reminded about the Reyes and went digging through the humidor for hidden treasure. The Trinidad Reyes certainly responded as one of the more surprisingly enjoyable cigars with lots of nuance.

Best: Trinidad Reyes BMP Jun 16

worst: Alex Bradley special release called filthy hooligan, gift (not so much) from a friend, I should know better than to think that any barber pole will actually impress but well it was a gift?

So eager to try some sancho but I heard they can be spotty in terms of quality....any advice?

As@topdiesel said the uglier the better. I don’t think Sancho Panza is any more inconsistent than any other marque. Occasionally I’ll run across a bad one, but at around half the price of Cohiba it doesn’t bother me near as much. Dive in is my advice.

Best: Cohiba Robusto  - The construction and burn were spot on, a model of consistency.

Worst: Edmundo Dantès Conde Belicoso -  In contrast to the Cohiba this cigar had serious burn issues. From the get go there was canoeing which required numerous burn corrections. During the second half of the cigar the burn was only moderately wavy. Burn issues were so distracting I don’t really recall the flavors of the cigar.

Best: San Cristobal Fuerza LGR JUL 17

Worst: HUPC 17 — my fault I rushed it, needs more rest.

Best -  2015 Partagas Short. Superb, rich smoke. 

Bought at Delhi Airport duty free. Tried one in the smoking room. So blown away I bought a second box with the same box code. 

Worst - 2015 Patagas Short from the second box. No flavor, bland. 

CC roulette. You win some, you lose some. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Best - Montecristo no. 4 BRU AGO 10. I’ve burnt through a few from this box so far. They’re all freshly introduced to my humi and I’m aure they’ll only improve with good rest. The worst of them has been a tight-ish draw and took til the second third to wind up. The best was a firebomb of flavors from the light to the nub.  Really great profile on these. 

Worst - Vegueros Tapados SLE DIC 15. I only say this for a few reasons.

1. It was completely ROTT and clearly needs rest. It was one dimensional... but that dimension was good. Really strong, rustic tobacco intensity. Brought me back to some of the late 80s boxes i enjoyed in the late 90s.

2. I really didn’t smoke anything that i *disliked* in February. I’m sitting on really good stock and enjoying all of it. I only chose this because I had to have a ‘worst’ lol

• Like 1

Best- Montecristo No. 2 (Mel May 17)....all Monte milk coffee and a perfect burn

Worst- my first PLPC (Lep DIC 16)....it tasted like I was smoking a bit of newspaper, and I had enough of the ash taste to throw it after only an inch. Hopefully the rest might be better.