To the champions of conspicuous consumption....what is your last purchase

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a woodworking geek. Gave myself this new dust collector for Xmas and replumbed my shop with hardpipe form this to all the tools. Sounds like a jet engine when I turn it on - I love it! P.S. I

The Yoder YS 640 pellet smoker. My wife almost passed out when this beast got delivered. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Learning to fly so this was this weekend's purchase. The wife is learning to fly also so she approved the purchase which makes it a lot easier. I figure I either have a pile of receipts at the end of

22 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i do not have a problem, even if i do have more zacapa xo than any retailer in australia!

wine, rum, books and fishing gear. spare me.

this morning i found a second copy of an extremely expensive wine book. i have no recollection of buying either. i would have got one as soon as released but i have absolutely no idea how i got the 2nd one. and who doesn't need a fly rod for every occasion. 

rums - last count, i was in the high 90s for different rums. and of course, one needs more than a single bottle of most of them (although i am not there yet).

not even starting on wine. 

I've done that a few times. Bought a book, then a few months later, bought the exact same one again. Last time the publisher through me, as they changed the cover, so I thought it was a new book.

I’m about to go full retard and drop too much money for some Japanese whisky that’s not even bottled yet...

https://dekanta.com/shizuoka-distillery-first-japanese-whisky-releases/

The program is still open, planning to drive down to Shizuoka next week to have a look at the distillery and then will decide if it’s actually a good idea!

They also offer a private cask option but I think 9500$ would really drive the wife over the edge!

https://www.nomunication.jp/2017/11/23/shizuoka-distillery-private-cask-2018-coming-soon/

But hey, at least you’ll have 240 bottles of 10 year old Japanese whisky at home in 10 years time!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I've done that a few times. Bought a book, then a few months later, bought the exact same one again. Last time the publisher through me, as they changed the cover, so I thought it was a new book.

just checked. bought it from UK amazon in sept 15. then bought it from US amazon in june 16. spare me. 

I just picked up the Apple Homepod. I won't pretend to be super knowledgable about sound and speaker equipment, but, for a speaker that I can pull out of a box and plug in and connect all my devices to it in about 1 minute...it sounds great!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

just checked. bought it from UK amazon in sept 15. then bought it from US amazon in june 16. spare me. 

which one is it, if you mind sharing? Recommendations?

30 minutes ago, BuzzArd said:

Doesnt look like it needs it.  

40 years old, It doesnt need much suprisingly. Would like to upgrade her look a bit. For now she'll be a put put around town truck where i can enjoy my cigars. :cigar:

1 minute ago, Stormin691 said:

40 years old, It doesnt need much suprisingly. Would like to upgrade her look a bit. For now she'll be a put put around town truck where i can enjoy my cigars. :cigar:

At least in a dentside you're not leaning back and smoking against the fuel tank like I do in my bumpside. :ok:

23 hours ago, Islandboy said:

A 4/4 slab of Spanish Cedar....because every connoisseur should have at least one:D.

IMG_8940.thumb.JPG.a5d4d5c36bdf6e8485c50bd8bedcaef7.JPG

Where’d ja get that?? I’m thinking of buying a new whynter wine cooler (found a great deal) and wanna make really basic cedar shelves. I have perfectly adequate woodworking skills to make what will suit my needs, so I’ve zero interest in paying hundreds of dollars for some cabinetry-grade custom crap that I don’t need. Gotta source the right grade/cut of cedar for it though...

6 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

Where’d ja get that?? I’m thinking of buying a new whynter wine cooler (found a great deal) and wanna make really basic cedar shelves. I have perfectly adequate woodworking skills to make what will suit my needs, so I’ve zero interest in paying hundreds of dollars for some cabinetry-grade custom crap that I don’t need. Gotta source the right grade/cut of cedar for it though...

Got it yesterday at Hardware Lumber Maui, one of only 2 local sources for raw lumber on the island. The timing was perfect for this thread, as I was over there to pick up other materials for a project, and I half-jokingly asked if they had any Spanish Cedar. To my surprise they did, so I impulsively bought a plank, knowing that I want to line the plastic interior of a wine cooler-turned humidor that I have with the stuff, but not really having a plan for turning a 1” thick plank into something suitable. Turns out the owner of a small woodworking shop across my office was all too happy to help me re-saw the plank into three 1/4” thick strips, but not before we chopped off 3’ of the original plank that I can make a few shelves out of. Perfecto! 

Of course most folks know Spanish Cedar isn’t really a Cedar but rather a certain type of Mahogany that happens to have a Cedarish aroma. Boy does it smell great cutting coming off the saw. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kwsaw63 said:

Took a half day off work to run an errand one morning last month but finished early. Was near a few car showrooms so popped in to see a couple of cars that had just been launched rather than go back to the office. Next thing I knew I was the proud owner of this.....

A friend of mine did something similar. I was going to play golf with him and his wife on a Saturday afternoon. While they were waiting around after lunch, he didn't want her to go to DFO (factory outlet complex) and spend a few hundred dollars, so he thought, "Why not just have a look in Audi? We're not after a new car, so it should be safe...."

They arrive at the golf course, he looks a bit sheepish, she's grinning from ear to ear. They bought a brand new A4, that hadn't even been released yet (release date was that Monday). So, save a few hundred to spend $70k.

43 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

A friend of mine did something similar. I was going to play golf with him and his wife on a Saturday afternoon. While they were waiting around after lunch, he didn't want her to go to DFO (factory outlet complex) and spend a few hundred dollars, so he thought, "Why not just have a look in Audi? We're not after a new car, so it should be safe...."

They arrive at the golf course, he looks a bit sheepish, she's grinning from ear to ear. They bought a brand new A4, that hadn't even been released yet (release date was that Monday). So, save a few hundred to spend $70k.

In my defence, I was in an emotionally precarious state as I had just renounced my Malaysian citizenship to become a Singaporean. Also the bean counter in me couldn't resist the deal. The cost to change from my previous car was only S$13k and the mechanics of the deal meant I got S$22k cash back. Throw in 5 year extended warranty and free servicing, running costs that were half that of my previous car and a pretty sales lady and I couldn't say "no"!

• Like 1