El Presidente

To the champions of conspicuous consumption....what is your last purchase

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, kwsaw63 said:

In my defence, I was in an emotionally precarious state as I had just renounced my Malaysian citizenship to become a Singaporean. Also the bean counter in me couldn't resist the deal. The cost to change from my previous car was only S$13k and the mechanics of the deal meant I got S$22k cash back. Throw in 5 year extended warranty and free servicing, running costs that were half that of my previous car and a pretty sales lady and I couldn't say "no"!

there is a great story about the aussie actor who played aunty jack from many years ago (it might have been re thin arthur but pretty sure it was aunty). graeme bond. he was walking past a showroom for caddies when in LA on one occasion and looked through. saw one he absolutely loved. went in, spoke to the dealer, got the deal and paid for it on the spot. it was only when he was about to leave that he remembered he had never learnt to drive. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kwsaw63 said:

In my defence, I was in an emotionally precarious state as I had just renounced my Malaysian citizenship to become a Singaporean. Also the bean counter in me couldn't resist the deal. The cost to change from my previous car was only S$13k and the mechanics of the deal meant I got S$22k cash back. Throw in 5 year extended warranty and free servicing, running costs that were half that of my previous car and a pretty sales lady and I couldn't say "no"!

...you had me at "pretty sales lady". ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

jancis robinson's oxford companion. fantastic book. 

Oh yess, many times considered (many times in hand), never pulled the trigger (so far).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Akela3rd said:

Original Edwardian smoking cap - saw it, bought it, will have to spend hours explaining it.

What is it?!    :lol3:

(looking good)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What is it?!    3:
(looking good)
You sir, are very silly, and shall never know. Suffice to say - if you want to get ahead, get a hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fugu said:

Oh yess, many times considered (many times in hand), never pulled the trigger (so far).

it is probably the one wine reference book i'd grab if i was only allowed one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most recent purchases have been mostly NCs.

However I had six dozen golf balls delivered the other day.  If I'm lucky they'll last me the summer.  If it's anything like last sumer, they'll last me about two months.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 6:38 PM, Fuzz said:

So, save a few hundred to spend $70k.

 

Holy crap $70k for an A4?? That's like double the price it is here in the states. You could get an S6 or A7 for that price!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fitzy said:

 

Holy crap $70k for an A4?? That's like double the price it is here in the states. You could get an S6 or A7 for that price!

Luxury car tax. Don't forget exchange rates. AUD$70k equates to USD$55k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 5:04 PM, CigarAsh said:

I'm a woodworking geek. Gave myself this new dust collector for Xmas and replumbed my shop with hardpipe form this to all the tools. Sounds like a jet engine when I turn it on - I love it!

P.S. It came in about a 500 lb crate. My wife sh!t when it showed up unannounced. Oops!

pflux-3-cyclone-dust-collector.jpg

That's awesome Gary! Did you run a hardpipe from your smoking room too?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Luxury car tax. Don't forget exchange rates. AUD$70k equates to USD$55k.

I gotcha. Not as bad as it seems but that luxury tax sucks eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Starts for vehicles above AUD$65k, and fuel efficient vehicles at AUD$75k (which kind of sucks as it has hardly increased in 10 years). A rate of 33% is imposed on the value of the vehicle above the threshold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

That's awesome Gary! Did you run a hardpipe from your smoking room too?

That’s one step the wifey won’t allow.  I turned the upstairs bedroom into my man cave when my youngest moved out last year.  Guitars, amp, big screen, couple of recliners.  But so far no movement on the indoor smoking ban! I’m playing the long game here, hoping I can wear her down. Think it would cost me some major home remodeling expenses to trade for this one though.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2018 at 3:18 AM, fitzy said:

 

Holy crap $70k for an A4?? That's like double the price it is here in the states. You could get an S6 or A7 for that price!

Still cheap compared to Singapore. An A4 runs to US$135k over here and you only get to run it for 10 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, kwsaw63 said:

Still cheap compared to Singapore. An A4 runs to US$135k over here and you only get to run it for 10 years. 

So 9 years and 11 months longer than you'd want to keep it. :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, kwsaw63 said:

Still cheap compared to Singapore. An A4 runs to US$135k over here and you only get to run it for 10 years. 

You need to have really deep wallets to renew the permit after 10 years.  Whenever I saw an older sports car driving around Singapore, you know that owner is loaded!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

So 9 years and 11 months longer than you'd want to keep it. :P

Actually as a beancounter I would never buy an Audi coz they’re nothing but overpriced VWs :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

You need to have really deep wallets to renew the permit after 10 years.  Whenever I saw an older sports car driving around Singapore, you know that owner is loaded!

Not so bad at the moment - it’s about US$30k to US$35k to renew for another 10 years. Just 3 years ago it would have cost you US$70k!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kwsaw63 said:

Not so bad at the moment - it’s about US$30k to US$35k to renew for another 10 years. Just 3 years ago it would have cost you US$70k!

So, you would have to pay additional fees on top of that.  Let's say you had a 10 year old Ferrari...  After the 10 years it's just another 35K and that's it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

So, you would have to pay additional fees on top of that.  Let's say you had a 10 year old Ferrari...  After the 10 years it's just another 35K and that's it?

Yup and an additional 10% on your road tax until it hits the cap of 50% - i.e. at year 15 you pay 150% of your annual road tax. On a Ferrari you could be paying an additional US$1500 a year. 

Oh and you kiss goodbye to about US$100k (for a Ferrari)  to US$7k (for a Toyota Corolla) in rebates if you had scrapped the car after 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.