To the champions of conspicuous consumption....what is your last purchase

.....if I were to option the Macan with the Evoque HSE equipment, it would have run to $139K 

Welcome to Porsche options pricing ;)

I really like the looks of the Evoque - even more so of the two door but that is very impractical.
  • Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a woodworking geek. Gave myself this new dust collector for Xmas and replumbed my shop with hardpipe form this to all the tools. Sounds like a jet engine when I turn it on - I love it! P.S. I

The Yoder YS 640 pellet smoker. My wife almost passed out when this beast got delivered. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Learning to fly so this was this weekend's purchase. The wife is learning to fly also so she approved the purchase which makes it a lot easier. I figure I either have a pile of receipts at the end of

1 hour ago, Lotusguy said:

Welcome to Porsche options pricing ;)

I really like the looks of the Evoque - even more so of the two door but that is very impractical.

Macan S was on my radar but the option costings were mind boggling. In the back of my mind a replacement for Di's car. 

Both cars (macan & Evoque) are to my mind some of the best designs of the past couple of decades.  

I too really dig the design of the Macan. I can’t see why anyone would opt for a Cayenne. The Cayenne’s design has truly become more pedestrian looking. 

...until you have to sit in the backseat ;)

Back on topic: I just bought a Sous vide percolator just because it was on special.

21 hours ago, El Presidente said:

You know you are a tosser when you purchase your Jeans from the US.  

The car is a week or two away while they prep it. It will go well with the new Jeans. 

Loire Blue RRE.JPG

I had a similar blue on a XJ8 Vanden Plas.  Very nice.  On my 4th JLR car.  Yours looks quite fancy.  My wife wants the Evoque convertible next.

8 hours ago, dangolf18 said:

I too really dig the design of the Macan. I can’t see why anyone would opt for a Cayenne. The Cayenne’s design has truly become more pedestrian looking. 

The loss of bright work trim has made the Cayenne cheap looking.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Learning to fly so this was this weekend's purchase. The wife is learning to fly also so she approved the purchase which makes it a lot easier. I figure I either have a pile of receipts at the end of this or a plane. It costs about the same.

20180609_201339.jpg

Well you just killed this thread, lmao!!! Anyone have a yacht to one up our friend? 

All kidding aside, I love to fly. Learned on a 182, then moved to a Mooney Ovation. Cheers and happy smoking, just not at 10,000 feet!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Learning to fly so this was this weekend's purchase. The wife is learning to fly also so she approved the purchase which makes it a lot easier. I figure I either have a pile of receipts at the end of this or a plane. It costs about the same.

20180609_201339.jpg

Nice!  Keep us posted on your progress.

A bit of unsolicited advice, get your instrument rating.  Could be a life saver one day.  

Most importantly, have fun.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, luv2fly said:

Nice!  Keep us posted on your progress.

A bit of unsolicited advice, get your instrument rating.  Could be a life saver one day.  

Most importantly, have fun.  

Very good advice. And if I may add a couple of more. Don’t fly in weather, at night and continue to fly with an instructor well after you get your license. This last point saved my life once. We came up against some weather and he took the controls over in a situation I wish I could forget. His thousands of hours of experience guided us to safety. The sky is like the sea. Beautiful beyond words, but deserves a healthy dose of respect. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

20180609_201339.jpg

A buddy has the same plane in similar colors!

• Like 1

I have a problem. My cigar budget has been taken hostage by bourbon...68db7f199807d2952e10f4c9368874da.jpg94ad6677f239e6ed957238fe02944c5d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, oliverdst said:

lol now I understand the receipt thing. Thanks.

Until I did the research it seemed crazy that I could own my own plane.  It turns out to be roughly the same price as renting a plane for the duration of time it takes my wife and I to get our private pilots license and get our instrument rating.  So, either rent a plane for all the hours it takes two people to become instrument rated...and have a pile of receipts OR buy a plane and spend the same amount of money and have a plane instead of receipts.

That plane cost less than my minivan :)

...and only 208 hours SFOH.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Until I did the research it seemed crazy that I could own my own plane.  It turns out to be roughly the same price as renting a plane for the duration of time it takes my wife and I to get our private pilots license and get our instrument rating.  So, either rent a plane for all the hours it takes two people to become instrument rated...and have a pile of receipts OR buy a plane and spend the same amount of money and have a plane instead of receipts.

That plane cost less than my minivan :)

Congrats on the Cherokee Harvey! :)   Single engine planes end up being pretty good purchases.  When I owned mine (a Beech Sierra that I got my instrument rating in) I flew it hundreds of hours and still sold it for more than I bought it for.  With all the maintenance and upgrades it all netted out, so not a money maker but definitely not the bottomless pit that some people joke about.

Now my Aerostar twin was a much bigger budget item.  And that's typical of twins, but still a heck of a lot of fun.  The Aerostar I flew for 1,500 hours and so had to overhaul two engines and put in a new avionics stack, etc.  BUT, I got to fly it for business and expensed a helluva lot! :D Pilot Nirvana! :) 

• Like 2

That plane cost less than my minivan

Thanks for the clarification!

My friends that fly all have partial ownerships instead of owning the whole plane.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PapaDisco said:

Congrats on the Cherokee Harvey! :)   Single engine planes end up being pretty good purchases.  When I owned mine (a Beech Sierra that I got my instrument rating in) I flew it hundreds of hours and still sold it for more than I bought it for.  With all the maintenance and upgrades it all netted out, so not a money maker but definitely not the bottomless pit that some people joke about.

Now my Aerostar twin was a much bigger budget item.  And that's typical of twins, but still a heck of a lot of fun.  The Aerostar I flew for 1,500 hours and so had to overhaul two engines and put in a new avionics stack, etc.  BUT, I got to fly it for business and expensed a helluva lot! :D Pilot Nirvana! :) 

Someone has a sports car for an airplane lol :D

• Like 1