What is the worst movie remake of all time?


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, poorman said:

Waterworld

 

It was so bad there was no remake. 

I believe Kevin Costner was trying to remake Mad Max (Road Warrior in the USA) on water. I agree, he shouldn't have bothered. However, I do think that George Miller's own remake of Mad Max in 2015 was excellent.

Incidentally, I just finished watching a terrible remake of 13 on TV tonight. The original in French was much better. And I was wondering today was Point Break needed to be remade a few years ago. The remake was a complete stinker, unlike the 1991 original starring Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ErikB said:

Vanilla Sky - wasn’t that a remake of Abre los Ojos ? But then I cannot stand Tom Cruise so I might be biased


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Came here to say this.  Abre los Ojos was a much better film. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know for sure about what might be worst, but there's a(nother) reboot of Scarface in the works......

 

Get the **** out of here... They’re seriously doing this?

 

 

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I say leave the originals alone crap or not. Remakes pimped up with technological advances/special effects or big name actors just dont do it for me. I think the film industry is loosing it's imagination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, IPORTER said:

I say leave the originals alone crap or not. Remakes pimped up with technological advances/special effects or big name actors just dont do it for me. I think the film industry is loosing it's imagination.

Loosing? They have lost it already. When Hollywood started making film adaptations of TV series (especially anime), that's when they lost their creativity.

Look at the crappy film versions of TV series: Bewitched, Aeon Flux, The A-Team, The Avengers, Masters of the Universe, The Last Airbender, Dragonball, Baywatch, CHiPs, Dad's Army, Duke's of Hazzard, Mission: Impossible (I will admit I am biased here, as I can't stand Tom Cruise), Starsky & Hutch.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Loosing? They have lost it already. When Hollywood started making film adaptations of TV series (especially anime), that's when they lost their creativity.

Look at the crappy film versions of TV series: Bewitched, Aeon Flux, The A-Team, The Avengers, Masters of the Universe, The Last Airbender, Dragonball, Baywatch, CHiPs, Dad's Army, Duke's of Hazzard, Mission: Impossible (I will admit I am biased here, as I can't stand Tom Cruise), Starsky & Hutch.

 

CHiPs was pretty funny......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2018 at 7:25 AM, SigmundChurchill said:

The remake of Heaven Can Wait, with Chris Rock, was horrible.

   WHAT remake w/Chris Rock??? Did it go by another title?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, cigcars said:

   WHAT remake w/Chris Rock??? Did it go by another title?

ditto - never heard of it. i think that the warren beatty one, which i liked (harmless) was also a remake - here comes mr jordan? from memory. but i don't think i ever saw the original. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, cigcars said:

   WHAT remake w/Chris Rock??? Did it go by another title?

 

8 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

ditto - never heard of it. i think that the warren beatty one, which i liked (harmless) was also a remake - here comes mr jordan? from memory. but i don't think i ever saw the original. 

Yes, the Warren Beatty one was a remake, though a very good one in my opinion.

The Chris Rock remake was in 2001 and was called Down To Earth.  It was really bad.  Propbably why you guys never heard of it.

 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0231775/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about adaptations of the one film?

The Seven Samurai (which was inspired by Westerns) spawned The Magnificent Seven (and its remake), Battle Beyond The Stars (Robert Vaughn played a similar character to the one he played in The Magnificent Seven) and The Seven Magnificent Gladiators (I Sette Magnifici Gladiatori).

The Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven both stand on their own as great films, but the other two... well, it was the 80's.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2018 at 9:08 AM, JohnS said:

And I was wondering today was Point Break needed to be remade a few years ago. The remake was a complete stinker, unlike the 1991 original starring Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves.

 

 

THIS 100% THIS!!!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

 

Yes, the Warren Beatty one was a remake, though a very good one in my opinion.

The Chris Rock remake was in 2001 and was called Down To Earth.  It was really bad.  Propbably why you guys never heard of it.

 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0231775/

       Okay, gotcha!  :ok:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soon to be on this list....

Big Trouble in Little China.  Starring The Rock.

 

The original was epically 80's, but that's what made it pure gold.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/03/2018 at 9:30 AM, Fuzz said:

Loosing? They have lost it already. When Hollywood started making film adaptations of TV series (especially anime), that's when they lost their creativity.

Look at the crappy film versions of TV series: Bewitched, Aeon Flux, The A-Team, The Avengers, Masters of the Universe, The Last Airbender, Dragonball, Baywatch, CHiPs, Dad's Army, Duke's of Hazzard, Mission: Impossible (I will admit I am biased here, as I can't stand Tom Cruise), Starsky & Hutch.

 

I'll agree they have already lost it. I'll add another here.  Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. I realise the original UK TV series was very low budget and a little corny, but it had a cult following, the acting was OK, and the narration was fantastic. And I loved it as a kid - might be a llittle nostalgic, but hey. I had high hopes for the movie, but, as usual, Hollywood completely screwed up the story and made an appalling movie to fit the Hollywood formula for what they consider a "good" movie.

I'll add a few book adaptations to this list. Dune, the David Lynch version (amazing book, rather silly movie impossible to understand unless you had already read the book), and The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Haven't seen that one yet, but a fantastic story for which the movie adaptation starring Idris Elba completely flopped at the box office apparently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IanMcLean68 said:

I'll agree they have already lost it. I'll add another here.  Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. I realise the original UK TV series was very low budget and a little corny, but it had a cult following, the acting was OK, and the narration was fantastic. And I loved it as a kid - might be a llittle nostalgic, but hey. I had high hopes for the movie, but, as usual, Hollywood completely screwed up the story and made an appalling movie to fit the Hollywood formula for what they consider a "good" movie.

I'll add a few book adaptations to this list. Dune, the David Lynch version (amazing book, rather silly movie impossible to understand unless you had already read the book), and The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Haven't seen that one yet, but a fantastic story for which the movie adaptation starring Idris Elba completely flopped at the box office apparently.

i'd argue adaptations are a different kettle of fish. but dune was a shocker. 

what would be interesting would be to know how many of the movies named (and i am not arguing the lack of artistic merit/quality) made money. and hence would not be considered flops by hollywood.

the problem is we are looking at this from two perspectives. we want great movies. they want to make money. the two are not mutually exclusive but often don't get near each other. unfortunately, enough films make so much money that it allows them to keep throwing darts at the board hoping to get the next big hit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.