What does 'cigar lifestyle' mean to you?

I tend to think of this the other way round personally.  It's more about enjoying the nice things in life, than it is about "lifestyle choices" or "cigar lifestyle", which I agree is a really wanky marketing term.  It just so happens for me, that enjoying my life includes enjoying cuban cigars.

On a further note, rather than edit my post above again for further clarification...

I believe enjoying the nice things in life means different things to different people. It doesn't have to be all rich and pretentious. It's more often the simple things. Relaxing at home with a nice drink, a nice cigar, nice food, laughing and having a good time with mates, etc. Rather than prescribing to some predetermined expensive check-list of what a particular lifestyle should contain.

• Like 3

That's my problem with CA. They cater to the wealthy or the wannabe's. I personally don't care or want to own that $650 shirt, $19k watch or pen, whatever. 

I believe Fuzz is right. We all live the cigar lifestyle and the editors at CA must think that everyone wants to be the guy wearing the $650 shirt. @El Presidente What's it like wearing those fancy shirts? :rotfl:

• Like 1

Cigar lifestyle to me is more of a relaxing moment in my life. Sitting outside in complete quiet and taking it in. Enjoying time fishing or next to a fire while smoking.

A while back, Rocky Patel had a video on the "Rocky Patel" lifestyle. Old rich dudes with half naked girls a quarter their age handing them cigars and drinks. I now refuse to buy anything RP because of it.  I'm like @Colt45, I have no problem with people who are wealthy, I'm happy for them and they can do whatever they want with their money. But that "lifestyle" gives off the impression we're pretentious jackasses.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MooseAMuffin said:

I'm like @Colt45, I have no problem with people who are wealthy, I'm happy for them and they can do whatever they want with their money. But that "lifestyle" gives off the impression we're pretentious jackasses

This. Agreed 100%. 

1 hour ago, Colt45 said:

I don't consider it a hobby - it's really just something I do.

Same here. 

As per the lifestyle, to me it's just part of the broader sense of really enjoying things that taste good, be it cigars, food, wine, whisky, etc. It's the pursuit of sensory experiences that shape who we are as individuals. Some people could care less and some people will to great lengths just to taste something amazing, that's a lifestyle to me.

As for the magazine cigar lifestyle bit, all I see is the marketing department.   

• Like 1

Cigars in my opinion aren't a lifestyle it's an amazing tool that if treated with respect can reward you greatly. It can be a facilitator when meeting with a friend and you can bond with that person over a cigar. It can be used as a tool to self-reflect, take stock and appreciate where you are in life and figure out what you next challenge is in life. That 1 hour a week when I smoke with a good drink or coffee helps me re-establish balance in my life. Some b/s marketing or ad person can't take that away from me my creating some idiotic idea of what cigar lifestyle is. 

1 hour ago, MooseAMuffin said:

Cigar lifestyle to me is more of a relaxing moment in my life. Sitting outside in complete quiet and taking it in. Enjoying time fishing or next to a fire while smoking.

A while back, Rocky Patel had a video on the "Rocky Patel" lifestyle. Old rich dudes with half naked girls a quarter their age handing them cigars and drinks. I now refuse to buy anything RP because of it.  I'm like @Colt45, I have no problem with people who are wealthy, I'm happy for them and they can do whatever they want with their money. But that "lifestyle" gives off the impression we're pretentious jackasses.

This?

Wow, just, like,  wow!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

It's an appalling portrayal isn't it. :D

I know my share of wealthy guys.....I don't know anyone like them!  Wealth (unless inherited) comes from discipline, hard work, risk taking and luck. They keep a low profile. They generally keep their thoughts to themselves unless asked for an opinion.  If they are cigar smokers they generally enjoy a good one as with their booze. 

The increasing level of class warfare in society is disheartening.  The  attitude of "I have nothing against rich people except that they can buy whatever they want"  tends to forget how most of them attained their wealth in the first place.

To my mind, wealth has little to do with "Cigar Lifestyle".  Everyone is capable of laughter, caring, inclusiveness, sharing.  "Cigar lifestyle" is simply doing those things in a ritualised manner over a cigar.

I share this same experience with wealthy people. When I say "I have nothing against wealthy people, they can do what they want with their money." I don't say it in a derogatory manner. I say because I truely don't care. My father-in-law started farming/ranching when he was young and has become very successful. It only took 45 years of no vacation, 100+ hour work weeks and paying his farm off 3 times over. People like him deserve to spend their money on whatever they like.

Hell, if I had the guts, which I definitely do not, to risk my own money and time on a business venture, I'd be buying a lot more cigars, fishing and hunting equipment!:fishing:

I just wouldn't be throwing a RP style party and smoking 60rg cigars because I'm a cool rich dude. I think the "rich persona" in that video takes away from what you mention in terms of discipline, hard work and sacrifice. :D

Just now, MooseAMuffin said:

I just wouldn't be throwing a RP style party and smoking 60rg cigars because I'm a cool rich dude. I think the "rich persona" in that video takes away from what you mention in terms of discipline, hard work and sacrifice. :D

I am with you on that one!

In Rocky's defence, he is not producing a documentary........simply marketing! Let's just assume he was taking the piss out of "Cigar Lifestyle".  

I doubt anyone in the industry works harder than Rocky. 

• Like 3