What does 'cigar lifestyle' mean to you?

3 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I am with you on that one!

In Rocky's defence, he is not producing a documentary........simply marketing! Let's just assume he was taking the piss out of "Cigar Lifestyle".  

I doubt anyone in the industry works harder than Rocky. 

He is coming to my local B&M in October. Since you said it, I will take your word on his work ethic and try to talk to him at his event. Maybe he can change my mind! :cigar:

5 minutes ago, MooseAMuffin said:

He is coming to my local B&M in October. Since you said it, I will take your word on his work ethic and try to talk to him at his event. Maybe he can change my mind! :cigar:

You don't get to sell 20 million cigars a year by sitting on your arse ;)

Hell.......HSA only sells 80 million. :cigar:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

It's an appalling portrayal isn't it. :D

I know my share of wealthy guys.....I don't know anyone like them!  Wealth (unless inherited) comes from discipline, hard work, risk taking and luck. They keep a low profile. They generally keep their thoughts to themselves unless asked for an opinion.  If they are cigar smokers they generally enjoy a good one as with their booze. 

I've met my share of those who have inherited their wealth, and by and large, they tend to keep a low(wish) profile to avoid the politics of envy you mentioned.  Most of them also consider it quite simply bad manners to flash their wad ... and if they are truly Old Money, they also inherited the social self-confidence that makes them less susceptible to the need for status signalling by way of conspicuous consumption.  Those who are cigar smokers feel free to indulge their passion without regard to cost (cue the custom walk-in humidors and Behikes by the box) but not the need to show off about it.

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The increasing level of class warfare in society is disheartening.  The  attitude of "I have nothing against rich people except that they can buy whatever they want"  tends to forget how most of them attained their wealth in the first place.

There has always been an element of class tension, but I reckon it has become much worse in the last few decades -- mostly due, IMHO, to a changing definition of "class".  Time was when social status was not just determined by how much money you make but by your education and active commitment to your community.  Time was when the local teacher or lawyer were accorded the same respect as the big farmer or business owner because their services were of clear and direct benefit to the community.  Nowadays, it's all about the noughts on your pay cheque.  

• Like 2

That video reminds me of my years working in nite clubs in the 90's.  Cigar smoking was allowed inside and I was friends with uber-rich middle eastern college students that would blow 50-100k a month on partying.  One guy's 21st birthday, we ordered 21 bottles of Dom and 400 shots.  Keep in mind the club was open from 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM; so not a lot of time to be festive.

• 3 years later...

Cigar lifestyle?

I know a few very rich people, believe me or not they are very normal people, down to earth. 
I know a lot of ponytails wannabes, believe or not some of my cigars are bigger than their dicks 😉

I love my cigars, good food, good wine & champagne and cherish good company. 
No bling bling or credit card can pay this off. 

Now I am going back under my fig tree 

BE860F94-BCA7-4450-8F30-FFF3D11AA9F3.jpeg.a6ca0a9d2ccbaa25a5855d24cd884185.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/12/2018 at 9:44 PM, Stump89 said:

'cigar lifestyle'

I would happily re-classify this as the 'show pony lifestyle'.         I genuinely have no problem with people that are passionate, genuinely knowledgeable about art, clothes, fine spirits, cars etc etc. 

But sadly money really can't buy class.  I would say 90% of people who involve themselves in this world, have very little knowledge of what they like.   they buy Rolex's because it's safe.......they buy Macallan, because James Bond drinks it. etc etc.    It's really sad to see amongst all of these 'influencers' instagram accounts, that they themselves are the ones who have been influenced,  there is very little individualism, it's all just painting by numbers for playboys. 

All that said, if they themselves are happy... thats great, to each their own. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ha_banos said:

For me it's bits of cigar cutting everywhere. Bands all over the shop. Lighter always empty. Punches always having old cuts in them. Random box full of bands and being surprised. Finding old sticks in the humidor(s) completely forgotten. Smell of cigars in the office. Wife sending you outside to have a cigar so she can watch TV. Not affording Behikes. Drawer full of too many boxes of matches and splinters of cedar. Lighters that stopped working years ago. Dried up boveda packs. Bottle of distilled water as a paper weight. Hygrometers with run down batteries. Old CA magazines in the shelf. Membership card to some long gone cigar club. Having no idea what to smoke. Cherishing that one stick. Always photos of cigar in the digital photo album holiday rotation. That sort of thing.

I feel attacked

• Haha 2

I never considered enjoying cigars as a life style. 
‘For me, it’s about relaxation, peace, thoughts, enjoying life and being thankful for what I have earned.
99% of the time I enjoy alone. (Notice, I never claim to smoke cigars, I enjoy them).

• Like 4

... what is the 'hot dog' lifestyle? I suppose that is what I have. I love a good hotdog, grilled cheese sandwich and a dill pickle. Maybe I chase it with a 20yo Lanceros.

Cigars are a food group. They are a small portion of life that should be about personal enjoyment, however anyone sees it. Cigars are better when affordable. They are not precious, except in smoking, they are not art, except by the artist handcraft that made it, they are not valuable, except in the small glimpses of luxury (time spent purely for enjoyment) that, at least at one time in history, all could afford.

Cigar lifestyle goes against all that I think a cigar is and should be.

I think what RP posted is 'stupid money' lifestyle. This is/was found generally by: 'rocker/celebrity' types. Oligarch and drug-lords. Royalty, from A to Z...

Cheers! -Piggy

PS: Please, someone give me stupid money and I will see if I can adapt to it! FoH herf on the moon. All accommodations provided!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, PigFish said:

... what is the 'hot dog' lifestyle? I suppose that is what I have. 

I’m with you brother!  

5 hours ago, therealrsr said:

When I read the topic I went a different way with it.  Cigar lifestyle brought to my mind an individual who can slow down, relax and enjoy whatever in the moment amidst a world bent on speeding up.  Maybe I am just getting old.

Rocky's video brought the reality of the term crashing down.

Your definition is better

• Like 2