The Photography Thread

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great images on this thread! Here are some recent shots from me - @hechoencamera on Instagram is the best way to keep up with me.

Ok, great thread idea. I'll play! I'm an amateur "picture taker" as Photographer I perceive may be too strong of a title for me. I love photography though and it's something that relaxes me and c

Here's a still life I shot when I got back from Cuba with some merchandise.  FYI, those "ice" cubes cost more then a Talisman ... each. 

11 hours ago, photorob said:

Some great images on this thread! Here are some recent shots from me -

@hechoencamera on Instagram is the best way to keep up with me.

FONSECA.jpg

Love this one.  The tonalities are really nice and a nice compliment in textures between the cigar cover and pickled wood. 

• Like 1

Love to shoot, good topic. Always amazed at the knowledge, talent and passion of this group,  lots of beautiful pics.

20171010_140437.jpg

20171002_172801.jpg

20170201_172104.jpg

20180121_161257.jpg

surfer kid.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JoeKitchen said:

Love this one.  The tonalities are really nice and a nice compliment in textures between the cigar cover and pickled wood. 

thank you Joe....and to think it looks not far from the always dreadful "selective colour" approach :rotfl:

Right. I'm preparing to embarrass myself here!!!

A fellow FOH member was kind enough to get in touch with some encouragement and a few tips, so I revisited the Fire Station location and had another go today. At the risk of sounding like a Grand Prix driver getting his excuses in early, the new photo was taken earlier in the day and the light was not so warm, but I did my best to improve  both the angle of the photo, and to try and capture some shadow on the side of the building to give more interesting contrast.

I thought it might be interesting to compare the two, and get your thoughts.

Yesterday:-

5aaaa6684ad2c_SkansensFireStationBergen.thumb.jpg.9ac55016824352d1bed25925910bc531.jpg

and today:-

5aaaa6871cbb9_SkansensFireStationBergenrevisited.thumb.jpg.c51e46c00f0e65ef570f3ee8f0541bda.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

Right. I'm preparing to embarrass myself here!!!

A fellow FOH member was kind enough to get in touch with some encouragement and a few tips, so I revisited the Fire Station location and had another go today. At the risk of sounding like a Grand Prix driver getting his excuses in early, the new photo was taken earlier in the day and the light was not so warm, but I did my best to improve  both the angle of the photo, and to try and capture some shadow on the side of the building to give more interesting contrast.

I thought it might be interesting to compare the two, and get your thoughts.

Yesterday:-

5aaaa6684ad2c_SkansensFireStationBergen.thumb.jpg.9ac55016824352d1bed25925910bc531.jpg

and today:-

5aaaa6871cbb9_SkansensFireStationBergenrevisited.thumb.jpg.c51e46c00f0e65ef570f3ee8f0541bda.jpg

The lighting looks more three dimensional.  Also, since you are converting it to black and white, the color temperature should not matter too much. 

I hate to tell you to go back to the same church again, but have you tried photographing it from the other side?  That steeple is so much bigger then the rest of the church, and since it is the closest portion of the building from the camera, the size is being accented compared to the rest of the building because of it being front in frame.  You're also standing below it, which is making it even more so since you need to look up at it. 

If you shot it from the other side, that portion would be further away and smaller in the image then here, which would be a lesser contrast to the smaller portions of the building.  Not to mention those smaller portions would be bigger in the image.  Also, you would be uphill a bit and would not be looking up quite as much. 

I would also try getting architectural details with cross light.  Those chimneys look really nice. 

Really, you should capture as many pictures as you can think of.  I dont know how much time you have, but I would suggest grabbing your camera, and your tripod, and a double corona and go back a little before when you captured this one.  Take as many pictures as you can think of that would make sense.  Eventually the light will start hitting the church straight-on, which will be boring and flat.  So break, light up a cigar, and wait until the sun hits on an angle again.  Then start firing away again. If you can, get them all printed, 4x6s are fine.  Lay them all in front of you and start turning over the images you don't like.  (Editing on a computer is really hard when your green since you can only really look at two or three images at once.) 

2 hours ago, JoeKitchen said:

The lighting looks more three dimensional.  Also, since you are converting it to black and white, the color temperature should not matter too much. 

I hate to tell you to go back to the same church again, but have you tried photographing it from the other side?  That steeple is so much bigger then the rest of the church, and since it is the closest portion of the building from the camera, the size is being accented compared to the rest of the building because of it being front in frame.  You're also standing below it, which is making it even more so since you need to look up at it. 

If you shot it from the other side, that portion would be further away and smaller in the image then here, which would be a lesser contrast to the smaller portions of the building.  Not to mention those smaller portions would be bigger in the image.  Also, you would be uphill a bit and would not be looking up quite as much. 

I would also try getting architectural details with cross light.  Those chimneys look really nice. 

At the risk of turning this into a fire station thread, lol, do you mean like this? I took this a fortnight ago on a cloudy day. I like the image, but you can see there was very little light on the front of the building:-

5aaac8e1c87e2_SkansensBataljon-2.thumb.jpg.ff2d0d449914699b10516baccc3a2256.jpg

*edit - looking this on my iPad, it comes up much darker than in Lightroom. I was going for moody, but this is a bit much! ?

49 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

I took this a fortnight ago on a cloudy day. I like the image, but you can see there was very little light on the front of the building:-

Ansel Adams was not afraid to dodge and burn.... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SignalJoe said:

I almost forgot this one.  To me this image really showcases the bokeh Nikor lenses are capable of. 

Very nice images. ? I recently got the Nikkor 85mm 1.8g, and have started messing around with portraits. I’m having to reject a lot of images, as I have a bit of a tremor in my right hand, and it gets me most times. Not badly blurred, but noticeable when zooming 1:1. I’m trying to figure out a way of holding that the camera that compensates. The VR is such a boon on my 24/120, but the 85 doesn’t have it, and the 1.4g was way out of my league financially!

Yes Ayepatz that is what I mean, although the lighting kind of flat.  If you could get all of the lights on, that with the background would make a nice dusk or night time image. 

• Like 1

Nothing technical, taken with my HTC U11 phone a few weeks back, but I liked the long shadows against the lines of the garden table. The RyJ looks like its floating. f70101362ddb23e689b9e2177a133a5a.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ayepatz said:

Very nice images. ? I recently got the Nikkor 85mm 1.8g, and have started messing around with portraits. I’m having to reject a lot of images, as I have a bit of a tremor in my right hand, and it gets me most times. Not badly blurred, but noticeable when zooming 1:1. I’m trying to figure out a way of holding that the camera that compensates. The VR is such a boon on my 24/120, but the 85 doesn’t have it, and the 1.4g was way out of my league financially!

The Nikor 85mm is an amazing lens.  Perhaps one day when the bulk of my disposable income doesn't end up in Oz I will purchase one myself.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1