WHAT TO BUY ON A CUBA TRIP???

BOSCO

If you were planning a trip in the next couple of months what would you buy when you are there?  What are some quality items that are in production right now that are available? I am trying to plan ahead and don't want to go without a plan. It is my first trip there. I have read that some things are better than others at certain times? What would you buy if you had a couple of grand to spend? My Aristocrat is going to be ready about the same time and I want to start loading it up.We are going next month for a couple of days if anyone is going to be there April 15-17 let me know we can meet up. 

Link to a similar and fresh thread below. Stock changes/rotates so fast that this is a very hard answer to nail down. The thread below has some good general insight though. I'll be in Havana from April 19th to the 22nd. You'll have to let me know what you find!!

Freeze whatever you bring back before putting them in the new humi. 

I'll be there in June, and will concentrate on custom rolls, including Rob's new sticks rolled by Alex.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stogieluver said:

Freeze whatever you bring back before putting them in the new humi. 

I'll be there in June, and will concentrate on custom rolls, including Rob's new sticks rolled by Alex.

What are Robs new sticks rolled by Alex?

Go with a varied list. Not all cigars are always available or at good quality, Every time I go, my list is at least 20 cigars deep and custom rolls are always included in my purchases if possible.

Go with an open mind and deep list, buy what smokes/looks good and enjoy!

• Thanks 1

As I always say, why bother with regular production cigars when you can get them anywhere? Just go for customs, and if you really want, the LE or RE cigars. Personally, on my next trip, I'm bringing home nothing but custom cigars.

• Like 4

On 3/16/2018 at 2:52 PM, BOSCO said:

If you were planning a trip in the next couple of months what would you buy when you are there?  What are some quality items that are in production right now that are available? I am trying to plan ahead and don't want to go without a plan. It is my first trip there. I have read that some things are better than others at certain times? What would you buy if you had a couple of grand to spend? My Aristocrat is going to be ready about the same time and I want to start loading it up.We are going next month for a couple of days if anyone is going to be there April 15-17 let me know we can meet up. 

Custom Rolls are the best thing to get, with some of the places they will be kind enough to offer you a cigar to try.  Meet Alex at Hotel Commodoro, he is the young torcedor there who has Prez's blend, but also many other he has available on hand.  PM me and Ill get you some additional information.  Ill be in Havana a week before you, my third trip in 6 months. 

As @Shlomo mentioned.  Bring a wide and varied list.  There's no guarantee you'll find what you really wanted, but you might find some things you did not expect.  Go for custom/house rolls as well.  Try and contact the rollers you know in advance. Usually 2 - 4 weeks lead time so that they can source the tobacco.  There is no guarantee they will have unclaimed stock available. If there is an expensive box you want and it's there, go for it.  Dont bother buying cheaper sticks (other than custom rolls).  Especially those of you who have limited duty free allotments (ie Canadians)  :D.  Try and smoke as much as you can while down there.  That might shape your list a bit better.  If something didn't smoke great;maybe don't drop $'s on a full box or two?  Havana is a bustling city, but there's a slow pace at many of the shops, restaurants you will visit.  Slow down, relax, enjoy it.  Don't rush things.  Live in the moment.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Like everyone here is saying custom rolls is the way to go. I was there last year and went to the Melia Cohiba, I bought 25 rolls from her and she even gave me a free one to smoke while she did what she had to do. I also managed to bring in 2 Hotel Nacional Marble Ash Trays. The rum and alcohol I would recommend getting them at the airport in duty free. Its known that airport workers will swap out the bottles. I will hopefully be back again later in April or late may. Enjoy the trip.

On 01/04/2018 at 3:08 AM, Bossman said:

Like everyone here is saying custom rolls is the way to go. I was there last year and went to the Melia Cohiba, I bought 25 rolls from her and she even gave me a free one to smoke while she did what she had to do. I also managed to bring in 2 Hotel Nacional Marble Ash Trays. The rum and alcohol I would recommend getting them at the airport in duty free. Its known that airport workers will swap out the bottles. I will hopefully be back again later in April or late may. Enjoy the trip.

Swap out the bottles?