If you could buy any RE/LE (current or historic) as single from our host, what would it be?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Original Behike

What lotusguy said.... First release Behike at original price would be awesome!

None of the above. I'll stick to regular production stuff. 

doesn't ll this depend on price? i would suspect that almost every cigar mentioned could still be found somewhere for the right price. do you mean at original release prices? if so, the early LEs must win hands down. my so-close-to-empty box of the LE 2000 pyamides still has the price - $130. for 25. things had skyrocketed by the time of the 2003 Cohiba DCs - $440. 

19 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i would suspect that almost every cigar mentioned could still be found somewhere for the right price.

Most of them named here are available if one looks. Some at not outrageous prices. Obviously, the early Cohiba ELs are going to be tough to find at any price. Some are downright impossible to find like PL Magnificos, Punch Superfinos and most of the 05 and 06 ERs. The Edmundo Dantes 109 and 54 are just totally gone. The ELs seem to be  a bit easier to come by, although prices can be very high. I haven't seen the 01 Monte DC at all however. Anywhere. But I'm sure there's plenty of Monte C for you out there Ken if you look! 

5 hours ago, gnosmas said:

edmundo dantes conde 109!  la escepcion selectos finos!  (if anyone out there has these and can hook it up, slide into them dm's.)

My two choices as well. Maybe throw the Monte or Cohiba Sublimes in there as a runner up.

14 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Most of them named here are available if one looks. Some at not outrageous prices. Obviously, the early Cohiba ELs are going to be tough to find at any price. Some are downright impossible to find like PL Magnificos, Punch Superfinos and most of the 05 and 06 ERs. The Edmundo Dantes 109 and 54 are just totally gone. The ELs seem to be  a bit easier to come by, although prices can be very high. I haven't seen the 01 Monte DC at all however. Anywhere. But I'm sure there's plenty of Monte C for you out there Ken if you look! 

My two choices as well. Maybe throw the Monte or Cohiba Sublimes in there as a runner up.

lord spare me from the Monte Cs.

if i recall, the Monte DC from 01 was not that prolific even back at release. some, you'd see regularly for a while but this was one that was rarely seen. 

14 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

doesn't ll this depend on price? i would suspect that almost every cigar mentioned could still be found somewhere for the right price. do you mean at original release prices? if so, the early LEs must win hands down. my so-close-to-empty box of the LE 2000 pyamides still has the price - $130. for 25. things had skyrocketed by the time of the 2003 Cohiba DCs - $440. 

Buying from @El Presidente, so decent price and quality is a given. I’m interested in what people would choose, were they hypothetically available.

Probably the 2000 Partagas Piramide EL - never had one, wouldn't mind trying one.

Or the 2009 Ramon Allones Celestiales Fino RE - had one (young) which was so strong it put out of my mind any notion of a box full. Wouldn't mind seeing if / how they've progressed.

9 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

lord spare me from the Monte Cs.

if i recall, the Monte DC from 01 was not that prolific even back at release. some, you'd see regularly for a while but this was one that was rarely seen. 

I had a box of the MC DC EL '01. Terrible cigars young and they never came around.

Many of the old Els had  multiple releases from different factories with the first getting rave reviews and the subsequent releases not so much. The Hoyo Pyramid, '03, I think, was touted as the bomb. The secondary release, like the ones I bought, never did it for me. The R&J Robusto EL, and the R&J Els in general, aren't to my taste. Is there a pattern here? If I don't like cigars that people raved about, so be it. I know this is a thread about the special releases one would buy again but other than a few I have that I'll flip and the PL Lonsdales I have, I'm sticking to regular production.

For limited stuff...in the following order, just my preference of what I miss most, and a couple that I've never smoked.

Partagas C1
Guayasamin I Esplendido
Cohiba 30th Humidor Robusto Especial
Montecristo Réplica de Humidor Antiguo Double Corona
Montecristo Colección Habanos 2005 Maravillas #1
Cohiba Dinner of the Century A
2006 Behike

3 hours ago, mk05 said:

For limited stuff...in the following order, just my preference of what I miss most, and a couple that I've never smoked.

Partagas C1
Guayasamin I Esplendido
Cohiba 30th Humidor Robusto Especial
Montecristo Réplica de Humidor Antiguo Double Corona
Montecristo Colección Habanos 2005 Maravillas #1
Cohiba Dinner of the Century A
2006 Behike

Im glad someone else mentioned the C1.  I thought they were fantastic.  Actually, I found all of the “book” cigars to be of the highest quality.  Much better than the ELs or REs.  But IMHO of the “book” cigars, the C1s were the best.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Im glad someone else mentioned the C1.  I thought they were fantastic.  Actually, I found all of the “book” cigars to be of the highest quality.  Much better than the ELs or REs.  But IMHO of the “book” cigars, the C1s were the best.

You know, I was going to quote you, because I kept scrolling and scrolling, but yours was the only one that made sense. But...I got lazy. So credit where credit is due @SigmundChurchill

The C1 was the best book release of all. Absolutely in 100% agreement with you. Humidors have been really spotty, running the gamut from unsmokeable to amazing. My favorite has always been the Montecristo Antiguo DC.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mk05 said:

You know, I was going to quote you, because I kept scrolling and scrolling, but yours was the only one that made sense. But...I got lazy. So credit where credit is due @SigmundChurchill

The C1 was the best book release of all. Absolutely in 100% agreement with you. Humidors have been really spotty, running the gamut from unsmokeable to amazing. My favorite has always been the Montecristo Antiguo DC.

I remember drooling over the pictures of that Monte humidor.  The cigars looked perfect, but unfortunately, I never got my hands on one.

On 2018-03-22 at 7:37 PM, gweilgi said:

Fonseca #4, the 2010 RE for Benelux -- bought three, one was plugged and the others were fantastic.  I keep having damp dreams about this as a regular release...

Such an underrated cigar. 

Wish that I would have gone deeper on this particular release as well.

2 hours ago, Buck14 said:

Probably SP Eslavo or one of the old 109 style sticks if they were ever made in RE

You read my mind, @Buck14! Despite a preference for slimmer RGs, I must admit to being a bit of a sucker for a 109.

SP Eslavo, Dip Bushido, ED El Conde, Punch Clasicos, and the one I’m desperate to try (despite being continually told that it’s disappointing), the Boli 5ta Avenida.