Atabey & Wrappers

I don't know about his remark on saying Atabey tastes like a Cuban since I've yet to try one. But I wonder what he means by Cuban. It would be interesting to know if he means a specific marca like Cohiba or something. Anyone here try an Atabey? Would love to hear your experience and opinion(s) on them since I don't want to spend the coin on one lol.

As for the wrapper thing... 70%? I personally don't agree with that comment at all, but I know this is a topic with very split opinions. But seriously, 70%???

• Wushy changed the title to Atabey & Wrappers
25 minutes ago, nvrp813 said:

At the suggestion of @PigFish I recently pealed the wrapper off a JL2 halfway through smoking to see if I could notice a discernible difference. The cigar tasted the exact same. 

Sounds like a fun experiment. Maybe I'll do that with the next cigar I smoke. Maybe try with both lighter and darker shade wrappers to compare the differences, if any,

Wrappers matter. How much, I can't say for sure.

Then there's this...I had never heard of Atabey cigars before. Found their website. One of the pages contained a bunch of Latin looking words. Chrome asked me if I wanted Google to translate. I clicked yes, and what follows is the result.

"Pid smile and a boat, banking and ugly, the environment, the entrepreneurs who invest in homes? Just choose either pede! Urn, jasmine augue? Bananas, macro, into the mainstream? In the undergraduate lundium aenean! This is now, tomorrow sad ugly consumer hardware developers dictum lundium! Lundium enforcement peanut gate. Chocolate, big ugly lived boat! Microwave important protein, archery! CNN will feel the author? Importantly diameter and now? Or a whole? Want outdoor hardware. Thermal hate football and volleyball? It is not great, and the street of lorem dapibus. Types of arrows in the pot boat! They hate street of lorem tincidunt, diam, pulvinar magna,! Nascetur football, and loves all as ridiculous person, and, please get a sit vel tempor, mid aliquet? Propaganda propaganda, propaganda propaganda, law enforcement developers Eu, unless! Now. Who jasmine Mountains Zen."

:lol:

No! Atabey does NOT taste anything like a cuban cigar. I've had a few (and man they were f'n expensive) and they tasted like a nc. All tobacco with hardly any flavors. As far as I can discern, you are paying for the packaging, which is quite beautiful. 

I will never, ever buy one again. Just not worth it.

LOL!!! 

So..  the 'New World' smoking crowd, like Bradley here, often dismiss Cubans for 'always tasting the same, grass and hay grass and hay grass and hay'.

Then he lauds a 30 dollar cigar..  for being CUBAN??!!?

I can get 3 Petit Edmundos for that price.... and spare change...

And....  Honestly..  i think when a cigar is good, its more often than not just the burn being good, because then you're getting the exact blend as per intended.

When a cigar is bad, yes it can be partially due to the wrapper (and binder) not burning right.. 

IMHO of course

• Like 1

*One of the reputable (but domestic) online cigar companies offered me a special deal in shipping and price since my birthday is coming up in 2 days: And I took advantage of the opportunity to buy Drew Estate's Pappy van Winkle since it's also expensive as hell and my curiosity was piqued. It's on the way. IF I can find a special in price on this Atabey I will be seeking out and trying it too. I've been really duly impressed with the current batch of Dunhills offered out of Dominica and Honduras. They seem to have it "goin' on" as far as flavor and enjoyability. The prices though...eeeyuuugah! are almost as outrageous as Davidoff's Churchill selections. When I have enough bucks to burn, as they say, I'll be trying out the Escurio since I like Brazilian tobacco as an inclusion with others in these smokes of today.

I've heard that 60-70% of the flavor thing since, like, forever.  Difficult to reconcile with the sheer volume of tobacco in a cigar, but then many of us here argue for the skinnies because the wrapper represents a bigger percentage of the total tobacco.

Back in 2011-2012 (?)  Rob and the boys did an experiment with switching wrappers on cigars and they smoked them.  The videos are still around on FOH somewhere.

2 hours ago, cigcars said:

*One of the reputable (but domestic) online cigar companies offered me a special deal in shipping and price since my birthday is coming up in 2 days: And I took advantage of the opportunity to buy Drew Estate's Pappy van Winkle since it's also expensive as hell and my curiosity was piqued. It's on the way. IF I can find a special in price on this Atabey I will be seeking out and trying it too. I've been really duly impressed with the current batch of Dunhills offered out of Dominica and Honduras. They seem to have it "goin' on" as far as flavor and enjoyability. The prices though...eeeyuuugah! are almost as outrageous as Davidoff's Churchill selections. When I have enough bucks to burn, as they say, I'll be trying out the Escurio since I like Brazilian tobacco as an inclusion with others in these smokes of today.

I occasionally buy 5ers of NCs just to see if there's anything I would enjoy to the point of wanting to buy a box. So far I haven't found any. There have definitely been singles I thought were pretty good like the Crowned Heads La Imperiosa, but I didn't feel compelled to buy a box. So far, I'd say I've loved more than 90% of the CC boxes I've bought, while the 5ers of NCs have been more like 50/50. Not like the NC stuff is cheaper either. Most of the time they seem to be more expensive, it's just people always compare to the premium prices of stuff like Cohiba.

• Like 1

I've heard that 60-70% of the flavor thing since, like, forever.  Difficult to reconcile with the sheer volume of tobacco in a cigar, but then many of us here argue for the skinnies because the wrapper represents a bigger percentage of the total tobacco.
Back in 2011-2012 (?)  Rob and the boys did an experiment with switching wrappers on cigars and they smoked them.  The videos are still around on FOH somewhere.

I just feel that thinner ring gauges burn more evenly therefore the blend ratio is preserved better. IMHO YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The closest NC for me personally that I’ve experienced is Warped Flor del Valle...had a lot of that Cuban twang profile...I assume bc they use the top leaves of the plant like the Behike to make it. Truly a great smoke

af53e4b7c142586d1a4c28d0355e27d3.jpg

15 hours ago, nvrp813 said:

At the suggestion of @PigFish I recently pealed the wrapper off a JL2 halfway through smoking to see if I could notice a discernible difference. The cigar tasted the exact same. 

Try that on a small RG cigar and you might notice it. I took off the bottom inch on a Panetela and could taste a difference. I've tried in a 6x60 Toro and couldn't tell any difference. 

12 hours ago, Wilzc said:

Then he lauds a 30 dollar cigar..  for being CUBAN??!!?

Yeah that's just silly. I've seen a few of his video's where he complains about Cubans being one dimensional grass and hay. So why would I want to spend $30 on a NC that might taste like a Cuban when I can spend $5 and actually smoke a Cuban. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrStixx said:

The closest NC for me personally that I’ve experienced is Warped Flor del Valle...had a lot of that Cuban twang profile...I assume bc they use the top leaves of the plant like the Behike to make it. Truly a great smoke

If you can find ANY Warped. Been trying to find a Black Honey at the various B&M's around here and they say as soon as they get them in, they are gone.

• Like 1

If you can find ANY Warped. Been trying to find a Black Honey at the various B&M's around here and they say as soon as they get them in, they are gone.

Yes can be a bit HTF. Snagged some BH last year — if you are interest my friend shoot me a message!

The wrapper is the most expensive tobacco that is used in making a cigar. The amount a wrapper influences overall flavor is entirely a ratio of the ring gauge. Part of the reason I enjoy smaller ring gauge cigars is that on a 42, 44 or 46 you're going to have more flavor imparted by the wrapper than if it was a 50 or 52 ring gauge.

As far as Atabey goes, they make phenomenal cigars. But if you dislike NC cigars, why would you spend $30 on an Atabey just to be reminded you don't like NC cigars?

I think wrapper plays more of a significance in New World cigars, where there is a blend of different nations than in CC.  It's what touches your lips and if it is significantly different from the rest of the cigar, then certainly it will have an effect.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cigcars said:

I really enjoyed the Escurio petit robusto - want to says it was 3 3/4 by 50?

The release of the Atabey Spiritus Lancero just became available for $30.00 and I had to try one. It was good and better than the larger ring gauge Atabeys, but not worth 30 bux. And while there where hints nice flavors it didn't taste Cuban..

11 hours ago, MrStixx said:

I don't think SkyFlower tastes very cuban-esque in the traditional sense, but it's an incredible cigar nonetheless. Absolutely always bang on... the media tiempo in the blend definitely gives it great depth. 

And this 70% nonsense is nonsense. Different vitolas have various ratios of filler/binder/wrapper and they contribute in varying amounts depending on vitola and the components that make up the filler/binder/wrapper. This guy is a dingus. 

• Like 1

I don't think SkyFlower tastes very cuban-esque in the traditional sense, but it's an incredible cigar nonetheless. Absolutely always bang on... the media tiempo in the blend definitely gives it great depth. 

And this 70% nonsense is nonsense. Different vitolas have various ratios of filler/binder/wrapper and they contribute in varying amounts depending on vitola and the components that make up the filler/binder/wrapper. This guy is a dingus. 

Maybe I’m missing the traditional flavors then...my experience with aged CC is still pretty minimal — mostly smoking regular production from last couple years.

Is there a marca / year you’d say exemplifies it best?

Maybe I’m missing the traditional flavors then...my experience with aged CC is still pretty minimal — mostly smoking regular production from last couple years.

Is there a marca / year you’d say exemplifies it best?

Hmm. I don’t think that there is a flavor profile or Marca that exemplifies Cuban tobacco. Cuban tobacco is Cuban tobacco and Nicaraguan tobacco is Nicaraguan tobacco. Just keep smoking everything you can.
  • Like 2