Atabey & Wrappers

No proper BOTL would buy an NC hoping it’ll taste like a CC. If I want that CC taste I’ll buy a CC.

Actually that’s generalizing. If I wanted a Cohiba, I’ll get a Cohiba. If I want a Monte, or a HDM. I’ll go ahead and get that.

If I’m buying an NC It better not be similar to a CC.... it just doesn’t make sense.

I’m fine with Atabey pricing it at ultra-premium. Padron and Opus does that too... the only thing I cannot brain is that their biggest marketing pull is that they are saying it tastes like a Cuban cigar... which can be had for 50% cheaper... sorry 70% cheaper....

Somehow... Costa Rican based cigars... tend to be..... ambitiously priced. Ditto El Septimo..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

Rob a wrapper swap experiment a couple of years ago with some Cohiba.    I believe  determined that the wrapper had a significant influence on the flavor of the cigar. 

Yes. The experiment (Cohiba regular/Cohiba maduro, swapping of wrapper) showed that a difference in taste can't be expressed as a %. If a wrapper has a huge taste, this taste will be determinant in the global perception of the cigar.

In Rob's experiment the maduro wrapper was obviously the star of the show…

Does anyone has the link to the thread? I can't find it…

21 hours ago, alloy said:

If you can find ANY Warped. Been trying to find a Black Honey at the various B&M's around here and they say as soon as they get them in, they are gone.

@alloy In my personal opinion, BH was shit and was not at all worth the $16.50/stick it demanded. However, PM me your address and as soon as I get off this god forsaken ship in a few weeks I'll send you the one I've got left!

1 hour ago, Colt45 said:

It seems a bit truncated, but scroll down a bit:

There is also another fairly recent discussion on the topic:

That's the one.  Too much bourbon and not enough sleep to find it last night.  

But my head remembered it existed... :ok:

That wrapper experiment was very interesting to read. It seems that wrappers are used as sort of a "backbone" of sorts to support the blend in the filler. Someone earlier also mentioned that he couldn't taste the difference when he removed the wrapper from a JLS2, which seems to indicate the impact that wrappers make to the flavor profile does not hold equal weight between different marcas and vitolas.

In the end, it all comes down to the blend and blenders. I think we can conclude that making blanket statements like "wrappers consist of x% of the flavor" is simply wrong. When wrappers do contribute significantly to the flavor profile, it's simply a part of the symphony.

14 hours ago, Wilzc said:

No proper BOTL would buy an NC hoping it’ll taste like a CC. If I want that CC taste I’ll buy a CC.

Actually that’s generalizing. If I wanted a Cohiba, I’ll get a Cohiba. If I want a Monte, or a HDM. I’ll go ahead and get that.

If I’m buying an NC It better not be similar to a CC.... it just doesn’t make sense.

I’m fine with Atabey pricing it at ultra-premium. Padron and Opus does that too... the only thing I cannot brain is that their biggest marketing pull is that they are saying it tastes like a Cuban cigar... which can be had for 50% cheaper... sorry 70% cheaper....

Somehow... Costa Rican based cigars... tend to be..... ambitiously priced. Ditto El Septimo..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the significance of Atabay is to have a New World cigar at a price point comparable to Behike.  I've never smoked one but have heard good things.  It's just marketing that brought us here,  not cost, I'm sure.  I don't imagine a Behike costs much more to make than a regular Cohiba in Cuba just like I don't think an Atabay costs significantly more than other NCs.  Sure they are made in a different country than most (Costa Rica but they aren't rolled on the thighs of young virgins.  The lack of disclosure of binder/filler/wrapper on Atabay is probably more due to the fact it's nothing special than it is something special.  I might have said something like this about OpusX in the 90s but OpusX was really the first Dominican puro, and it turned out it was something special.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:55 AM, alloy said:

If you can find ANY Warped. Been trying to find a Black Honey at the various B&M's around here and they say as soon as they get them in, they are gone.

My local B&M had some Black Honey's last week--PM me if you're interested.  I've only had one but it wasn't all that great.

I finally have an Atabey (pyramide) on the way to me; there was a 10% off for Easter ordering from one of the online cigar companies, as I was NOT anxious to spend $30+ on ONE NC cigar...but you all had my curiosity up, so I'll be seeing for myself how it is.  And YES! Those Warped cigars are fantastic and on the ball for a non-Cuban smoke! :cigar:

• 1 month later...

** Well - finally sampled my Atabey pyramide last night. Pre-light aroma was indeed maple and raisin Habana-esque!  But upon lighting and smoking it - meh <_< 

What a boring smoke for $20+ bucks. Again - MEH