The last LE fail?

The only " decade dud" in terms of sales was the Romeo y Julieta De Luxe.  It is actually a very good cigar, better than many that sold well. 

That is a pretty remarkable effort by HSA. We bag them often but when it comes to the specialties, they read the market prety damn well. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if there is a second band it´s never a fail.  

It probably will because I'm willing to bet he has a Diplomaticos No.1, Rafael Gonzalez Lonsdale or Ramon Allones Petit Corona lying around somewhere...

Yeah, @NSXCIGARwhat's with all the complete sentences and multisyllabic words assembled to form coherent thought?  It's 2018, man.

On 3/31/2018 at 12:09 PM, ChanceSchmerr said:

I used to love trying the LE's to find ones I like, but I've definitely gotten disillusioned and turned off by the skyrocketing prices and terrible wrappers, so I barely bother anymore. Stick with what @PigFish says - a decently aged corona beats the crap out of just about all LE's I've ever tasted.

I agree with most on here - biggest LE fails I've seen:

HDM Regalos '07 - Crap Wrappers, Crap Taste.
Trini Ingenios '07 - I don't care what @CanuckSARTech says, these were an epic fail.
Cuaba Piramides '08 - Languished for years, was actually a decent cigar but way stronger than the rest of the line. Confused people.
Partagas SD5 '08 - I think this is the first of the "Let's shorten a good cigar and charge more for it!" brigade.  For that reason alone, a despicable cigar.
Trinidad Short Robusto T "10 - :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I still remember the hundreds on boxes on the shelf in Charles Grech tobacconist in Malta. I bet they are still there, years later :rotfl::rotfl:
HdM Short Piramides '11 - Lame taste (HdM suffers terribly from darker wrappers IMHO), lame release.
HdM Grand Epicure '13 - HSA STOP MAKING HdM LE's - they are never good!

My $0.02.  I stick with RE's when I want a double bander for the most part now (at least the wrapper has the same chance at quality as a regular cigar), but even that market is drying up for me based on the skyrocketing price - @NSXCIGAR is bang on about the RG88s.  Fonzie on his surfboard is about to jump for RE's if they keep going this way,....

agreed on all counts except for the HDM Regalos. yes, they are a sales blunder, but if you happened to get a box with the good wrappers then you had a potentially great cigar down the line. Which is exactly what i have...and happy to report that at 10 + years of age....they are bang on great! would love to get more but at the current price, at triple what it used to be, i'll get myself a few boxes of the current LE's. No, not the Talisman....the price is ridiculous for a 10 count box!

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The only " decade dud" in terms of sales was the Romeo y Julieta De Luxe.  It is actually a very good cigar, better than many that sold well. 

That is a pretty remarkable effort by HSA. We bag them often but when it comes to the specialties, they read the market prety damn well. 

Agreed on the RyJ De Luxe. They are actually quite good. i've had about 5 over the last 4 years and never had a bad one. Two were great and the others where good. Overall, still young in my opinion. needs another 2 -3 years to start showing its true colors.

20 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The only " decade dud" in terms of sales was the Romeo y Julieta De Luxe.

I knew it would be one of the 13s.

FWIW, I also liked the RyJ DL, however I think the Capuletos are the best RyJ EL ever.

13 hours ago, godpheonix said:

Agreed on all counts except for the HDM Regalos.

I always liked the Regalos, assuming of course the wrappers are flammable. Most of the ones I've had were fine and they're easily identifiable upon inspection--the fireproof ones are very dark, rough and very thick. 

I think the Regalos is the best Hoyo EL ever.

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2018 at 8:45 AM, MrStixx said:

It’s been hit and miss for me with the LGC Caribe...found several underfilled cigars out of a box I have...a year ago they seemed HTF now all over online sites.

I will say the JL4 is all over too (8 yrs from release) but personally think it is smoking great right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my understanding that is an ER, not an EL. That being said, every review and comment I've seen on those seem to praise them so much. I haven't tried any though. They seem way overpriced now