Solo, Weekend Trips from US?

bierz

I'm toying with the idea of flying from Chicago to Havana to enjoy the city, smoke some cigars, drink some rum and of course, pick up a few things.  Have any of you done something similar?  I'm curious of what to budget for travel, hotel and spending per day.  Would love to hear your stories.

Many of us have done it. You can find accommodations from $30/nt on up. Eating, drinking budget would be like anywhere else. I'd figure $200-$300 / day. You can go a lot cheaper depending on how frugal you are but for me when I'm on Vacay I'm on Vacay so I spend accordingly. Custom smokes are $3-$8 each so again, depends on what you want. Rum is cheap $7/ bottle. Hope this helps.

Have fun!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah I have done weekend trips from Dallas connecting through Miami and direct from Miami. I budget like this:

-  $25-30 for the taxi from the airport to Old Havana (one way) - round trip $50. 

- $50 per night for a nice Airbnb. Could go cheaper or spend more. $50-60 will get you a nice apartment in Old Havana with a balcony (essential for unwinding with a cigar at the end of the night)

- $50 per day for food/drinks/bottled water/coffee etc. Food at good paladars costs about $5-10 for small dishes or sandwiches/soups, $10-15 for entrees or maybe up to $20 for something special.

That covers the essentials. I usually just walk everywhere so there are no transportation costs. For cigars it’s completely up to you. You could get just customs and bring back great stuff for $5-10 per stick depending on vitola or you could bring back boxes of marcas and spend thousands.

So in total I budget around $600 ($250 essentials - $350 for cigars) for a weekend trip. Better to always take extra because whatever you bring in is all you will have until get back home - no ATM or card options for American banks. Enjoy the trip, it’s a great time!