Have a crack at the pricing for the new Montecristo Linea 1935 cigars

19 hours ago, Hookmaker said:

I also smoked a Dumas on Friday, and it was awesome, real Monte Flavour but with more intensity. A bit loose on the draw to my taste but very very nice. 

Good to hear a positive review. 

I'm also interested to see how this blend stacks up against the Monte 80th which by all accounts seemed to be described by many similar to how you've described this Dumas. I wonder if the 1935 line and the Monte 80th are the same blend...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

$1 Bob  

Wait!!! Wait wait wait...!!!!!    This is a social experiment. You want to see how much we are willing to pay!  Well sir $150, $175 and $200

9 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Good to hear a positive review. 

I'm also interested to see how this blend stacks up against the Monte 80th which by all accounts seemed to be described by many similar to how you've described this Dumas. I wonder if the 1935 line and the Monte 80th are the same blend...

I've been wondering the same thing - Monte 80th = Layenda in looks AND flavor?

On 5/15/2018 at 6:33 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

I swear HSA has a bunch of monkeys in the blending and tasting departments.

Your experience may be an isolated one, but only HSA can set out to blend a strong cigar, take over a year to produce and distribute it and end up with the complete opposite with a higher price.

Also, I love how HSA decides to develop and blend a premium line at the tail end of a raw materials drought. After the stellar 2017 crop it would have been wise to delay the announcement and production of these until 2019. Pre-production was made presumably in late 16/early 17 for the Festival in Feb 17 and they were nothing special from what I've read. The raw materials situation through 17 wasn't getting any better. Just a terrible time to produce a new premium line which HSA has always had limited success with since 2000. 

I am interested in how these turn out but my expectations are very low...

We were really surprised as well, our expectations were high because the Leyenda was just that good!  We still have another stick to try but going to give it 6-12 months to see if a bit of rest will help the burn issues.  The flavour profile was ok, but was basically a mild RASS and for triple the price I'd choose the RASS every day!

On 5/15/2018 at 4:23 PM, Hookmaker said:

I also smoked a Dumas on Friday, and it was awesome, real Monte Flavour but with more intensity. A bit loose on the draw to my taste but very very nice. 

89174F8E-7D16-4BEF-812A-394B19C2B87E.jpeg

Glad you enjoyed, maybe it was just a one off for me.

12 hours ago, Riverstyx said:

I've been wondering the same thing - Monte 80th = Layenda in looks AND flavor?

Yes same size but my friend who's smoked both says the Monte 80 is a little better, I'm waiting to get my hands on a stick to smoke to compare.  In the meantime definitely try the Leyenda, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KavalanWhisky said:

because the Leyenda was just that good!

Great, the size I'm least likely to smoke is the best...still hoping the reasonably-sized Dumas comes around as it's the only size of the line I'd buy. I was actually in disbelief that any of them were less than 50 RG. 

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Great, the size I'm least likely to smoke is the best...still hoping the reasonably-sized Dumas comes around as it's the only size of the line I'd buy. I was actually in disbelief that any of them were less than 50 RG. 

I was surprised also, i thought they would follow the Behike 52/54/56...

Have you tried a V cut, i find that makes the cigar seem a little smaller but I generally enjoy a larger RG cigar but 52 is probably my most comfortable size.

Tried the Dumas yesterday and I think it was surprisingly light for some reason. Also not a lot of flavors to be honest. The construction was excellent on mine. 

Just finished a Maltes and it's significantly stronger and much more flavorful. 

Don't know if it's just me but they seem very large. Took me a long time to finish the Maltes today. So really hoping the Dumas would be better.