Rate your Cuban Cigar Vintage by year since 2007?

With all due respect and deference to El Pres and his previous post on this topic, I'd be interested in seeing a refresh of his post from 2006. If those with much more experience would weigh into the topic, I'm confident it would be a great education for the novices, myself included, on FOH.

Rate your vintages. What are your thoughts? (Rearrange the years and list your vintages top to bottom....bottom being worst, from the list of vintages below):

Just my opinion here:

Edit: Just to clarify, this is the order of years I look for cigars I’ll smoke in the short term.

• 2 years later...
On 4/3/2018 at 6:37 PM, El Presidente said:

on sheer quality, however some of these can be grouped (11/12/13) as there is little between them. 

2017/16

O.k. from an old post on the best vintage years. Wondering what your thoughts are on 18, 19 and 20. The cigars I have smoked from last half of 19 through first half of 2020 have been incredible. Monte 2's, 4's, Edmundo, D 4's, BPC, BRC, BBF incredible! They have been very very rich and flavorful. I think they will age well, but were still not quite like the fresh cigars from 08 and 09 which had more tannins and those have aged incredibly. The newer offerings tasted further along comparatively. Honestly some of the best Monte's I've ever smoked. I would put 19 and 20 somewhere in the top 3 for sure, but would like to smoke more variety of things. I have only smoked a couple of cigars from 2018, were good, but they were less exciting than the fresher sticks. What are your guys thoughts ? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I don't notice much a difference to scale one year from another like a Bordeaux vintage?  Am I the only one?

It's a probability thing I think with cigars, since there is so much more variability, between boxes with the same box code and even between cigars from the same box.

Some years have more dud boxes, some years have more winners. There are always good and bad boxes, in good years and bad. At least that's what it seems to me, having smoked some great cigars from 1999-2001, which were probably the worst years in somewhat recent times.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bijan said:

It's a probability thing I think with cigars, since there is so much more variability, between boxes with the same box code and even between cigars from the same box.

Some years have more dud boxes, some years have more winners. There are always good and bad boxes, in good years and bad. At least that's what it seems to me, having smoked some great cigars from 1999-2001, which were probably the worst years in somewhat recent times.

Yes, better probability of good boxes of cigars. Also, the cigars seem richer with flavors some years to me from what I've smoked. To me the very highly produced cigars such as D 4's, Monte 2's, 4's were not as consistent some years. I quit buying those cigars for a number of years myself. But smoking cigars is subjective and it's just my thoughts and it's good to hear other's perspective.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sw15825 said:

O.k. from an old post on the best vintage years. Wondering what your thoughts are on 18, 19 and 20. The cigars I have smoked from last half of 19 through first half of 2020 have been incredible. Monte 2's, 4's, Edmundo, D 4's, BPC, BRC, BBF incredible! They have been very very rich and flavorful. I think they will age well, but were still not quite like the fresh cigars from 08 and 09 which had more tannins and those have aged incredibly. The newer offerings tasted further along comparatively. Honestly some of the best Monte's I've ever smoked. I would put 19 and 20 somewhere in the top 3 for sure, but would like to smoke more variety of things. I have only smoked a couple of cigars from 2018, were good, but they were less exciting than the fresher sticks. What are your guys thoughts ? 

I have no direct first hand knowledge of this but I've heard a few people say this is the best quality since the mid 90's. 

On 2/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, sw15825 said:

Personally I have really enjoyed 2019-2020 boxes. There are many standouts and a large increase in the number of quality boxes from the previous 2 years. I am curious to see how they age, I would argue that due to the great oil content and beautiful wrappers we are all in for a real treat in 2024-2025. Time will tell that is if I don’t smoke them all within the next 24 months. Thanks to all who have recommended boxes to buy in this time period.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 10:34 AM, sw15825 said:

Agree completely on the Montes.  The Edmundos I've got from 2019 are phenomenal.  I think even better than the Linea 1935 cigars.

Sadly prior to 2017 I was a buy and smoke cigar man so my older boxes are looooong gone. Only recently have I invested and started aging, coincidentally right at the time I found this forum. 

Since 2017, I haven’t seen a stretch of quality that touches on late 2019 through 2020 production and can only hope this trend continues.