great wine disasters...

I brought over a 2000 Clerc Milon to a friend's house last weekend that was corked...  That is my most recent wine disaster...  So pissed as I bought that case as a future and it was the 2nd bottle from the case.  The first was fine.

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I brought over a 2000 Clerc Milon to a friend's house last weekend that was corked...  That is my most recent wine disaster...  So pissed as I bought that case as a future and it was the 2nd bottle from the case.  The first was fine.

Screwcaps!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

Screwcaps!!

But there is just something magical about that 'pop' sound...

I guess i could record the sound and play it whenever i unscrew the cap...

Damn it, i WILL POP MY CORK!! :D

2 hours ago, s1911 said:

I broke a bottle of 1927 Croft vintage port and my last bottle of 1896 Dow was corked. Needless to say I wasn't so happy!

The decry

I’ve had a few wine disasters in my wine career, being a old baseball player my reflexes and hand eye coordination I’m sure saved me from a few more. My worst involved a magnum of 49 Margaux....the story is still too painful ?

I had a retailer drop a magnum '77 Dow after I paid for it.  UPS stole a two magnums of '01 Pio Cesare Barbaresco out a six pack shipper.  FedEx broke a 3L bottle of 77 Taylor...

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I had a retailer drop a magnum '77 Dow after I paid for it.  UPS stole a two magnums of '01 Pio Cesare Barbaresco out a six pack shipper.  FedEx broke a 3L bottle of 77 Taylor...

when i worked in the states, sent three cases mixed, home. wharfies stole two of them. a heap of mixed 77 VPs, an 83 Margaux and more. not happy. 

6 minutes ago, HDGSN said:

I knew a guy who got drunk one night and woke up to find out he opened and drank half of a bottle of Screaming Eagle.

a mate and i knocked off a 59 DRC Romanee-Conti in similar circumstances. could not believe it. rang the next day to offer the most humble apologies. my mate just asked if we'd had fun. yes - way too much fun. 

then what is the problem? 

great attitude. but i still felt guilty. 

10 hours ago, thedame007 said:

But there is just something magical about that 'pop' sound...

I guess i could record the sound and play it whenever i unscrew the cap...

Damn it, i WILL POP MY CORK!! :D

trust me, the sound thing won't bother you after about a day. and when you suddenly realise how much corks stuff wine, you will join those of us who give thanks for screwcaps every day.

come away from the dark side! 

Not the biggest loss comparatively but woke up one new years day years ago to find that my ex girlfriend and her friend had drank half a bottle of 1985 Salon at 1am then just put the open bottle in the fridge. Was totally gone the next day. She said she didn’t want to waste the Veuve Cliquot. This was not the entire reason she’s now my ex, but it didn’t help. 

I have drank many great bottles while half drunk. It’s the only time I have the courage to open some bottles. 

I had a TCA infected bottle of '83 Cockburn's VP (like everyone else) that I thought, "might as well use for a port wine reduction at this point...."  The friggin' reduction tasted like TCA!

10 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

For most wine, a screw cap is fine.  Heck, we've enjoyed some nice daily quaffers out of a box.

just so as i understand, you are "so pissed" that a cork stuffed your expensive wine but you'd rather that than have your wine in perfect condition under a screwcap? 

7 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I had a TCA infected bottle of '83 Cockburn's VP (like everyone else) that I thought, "might as well use for a port wine reduction at this point...."  The friggin' reduction tasted like TCA!

i have to ask. what on earth did you think it would taste like? 

i will concede that VPs seem to show less taint (i suspect being a more powerful style of wine) but i had one evening at a mates in adelaide with three bottles of VP, all top producers and all excellent vintages - all different - and all stuffed by taint. at that point we gave up and went back to fizz.