offal - do you eat it?

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

excellent point. and a few things other than just hot dogs. 

a friend once work in the "kitchens" of one of our two large department stores.

said that for every 144 chicken pies, they used two small chooks. 

Just to clarify: yes, there is "pink slime" in hot dogs and other processed meat products (baloney, spam, burger patties etc) but such "lean finely textured beef" does not contain offal.  Think centrifugally recovered cartilage, connective tissue etc...

As for chooks, they do come in differing sizes, don't they?  A common chicken for roasting as may be had at a normal supermarket is rather smaller than a poulet de Bresse .... but then, it would be a crime against haute cuisine to waste a poulet de Bresse on a chicken pie.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a few years ago, talking to a mate who is a terrific chef, tony from tartufo (brother is amando from buon ricardo for sydneysiders). on the subject of tripe. in typical modest chef fashion, he de

Another vote for haggis - all those parts of a sheep you don't want to look at in one tasty package. On Burns' night each year I get my Cub Scouts to try it (along with me channelling my Scottish half

I will eat whatever tastes good. Have had various grilled chicken parts in Japan, monkfish liver (ankimo) is a favorite food, however I have had some truly disgusting offal.  There is a latin tri

1 hour ago, gweilgi said:

Just to clarify: yes, there is "pink slime" in hot dogs and other processed meat products (baloney, spam, burger patties etc) but such "lean finely textured beef" does not contain offal.  Think centiriugally recovered cartilage, connective tissue etc...

As for chooks, they do come in differing sizes, don't they?  A common chicken for roasting as may be had at a normal supermarket is rather smaller than a pocket de Bresse .... but then, it would be a crime against haute cuisine to waste a pout de Bresse on a chicken pie.

indeed. my mate's version was that they were rather small chooks. 

My family has been in the hot dog business for generations. Big whoop. I would eat a great hot dog 10 times a day :lol:.

This has more to do with sitting at a restaurant table, and then, on a nice plate and with lovely body parts, you get served in delight. :hungry:

CB

• Like 1

How is it that so many people here got all bent out of shape over seeing "trophy pics" of deer harvested during hunting season, but skinned goat heads floating in a pot is acceptable? Not trying to start anything, I'm just genuinely curious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

How is it that so many people here got all bent out of shape over seeing "trophy pics" of deer harvested during hunting season, but skinned goat heads floating in a pot is acceptable? Not trying to start anything, I'm just genuinely curious.

I personally don’t need to see either one. Not that I’m squeamish but some people are.

“Harvesting” - nice euphemism ;)

Speaking of euphemisms, my all time favorite is “accelerated attrition” for “layoffs”
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, prodigy said:

I think the perception of hunting is different all over the world. Mates of mine that hunt in the UK and NZ, approach it in a very sombre attitude. I think the reality of killing animals for land management and meat is a great and honest thing. I think the question is in the word "trophy". Yes the hunter has displayed skill and aptitude in stalking and killing the animal, but I do find something very weird in the need to take a picture of a slumped dead animal and a grinning person stood over it. To me is sort of sullies the respect element of it. If someone took a picture of the animal in its element or well done taxidermy, i have no issue with that, but to me, trophy pics are a weird way of someone saying "look what I did, aren't I awesome" and less about saying "isn't this animal awesome, it's great it had a good death" etc etc.

I think thats the main difference with this thread.  i.e with this they're saying "jeese that sheep skull in the soup pot looks gross", where as maybe if someone has expressed being creeped out by "trophy pics" they're saying they find the need for it disturbing, as opposed to the image itself. 

5 hours ago, prodigy said:

How is it that so many people here got all bent out of shape over seeing "trophy pics" of deer harvested during hunting season, but skinned goat heads floating in a pot is acceptable?

It's a more than fair question.

35 minutes ago, 99call said:

I think the question is in the word "trophy".

I guess trophy in quotes is simply a hunter taking a pic with an animal (s)he's killed. More times than not, they'll eat what they've killed. The rest of us can be warm and fuzzy with the goat head selfies that have been butchered and provide to us, or by us.

So, in reality there is zero difference between hunting shots and offal shots.

P.S. people who eat horses deserve the foulest of deaths......

See how these things go? Do we allow pics of dead animals or do we not...

• Like 1

I have enjoyed most of the Offal that I have tried so far. I think cooking technique/thorough preparation is especially important when preparing most of the offal meats, it only takes a small bit of missed cleaning to really "taint" the whole dish. 

In all seriousness, everybody(that eats meat) should be exposed to the reality of killing, butchering and preparing their own meat. If you eat meat, but  look down upon the hunter, you have a seriously twisted view of the world. I do understand and completely agree with the general disdain for "Trophy Hunters". The guys blasting feral fogs out of Helicopters in Texas and paying guides to track elephants for days, so that the "hunter" can pull up in a Jeep and take the shot. These are the same type of guy that buys a box of Talisman, posts 50 pictures on IG, Snapchat, FB, etc., etc. Then tucks them into a $50 eski humidified by a $3 bag of cat litter. Some people are just confused.

Fresh (cooked before the body heat leaves it) Venison liver is one of the most delicious meats I've ever eaten. The flavor is only enhanced by the days/hours of hard work required to earn it.

28 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

The rest of us can be warm and fuzzy with the goat head selfies that have been butchered and provide to us.

So, in reality there is zero difference between hunting shots and offal shots.

I can agree with the fact that I'm more than grateful to anyone who see's to the human killing of all animals that find their way to the butchers window. I'm not detached from that, nor do I wish to be. 

Completely disagree with there being no difference. If someone showed me a pic of a shot dead deer in a field, and then another of a dead deers head in a pot, yep no difference.  Trophy shots however, nearly always feature the hunter. and to one extent or another, its about saying, look what "I" did. 

If someone showed me a picture of them stood over an animal they'd successfully hunted, my main response would be "and why am I looking at this again?". I wouldn't be disgusted in anyway shape of form, I would just question what sort of positive affirmation that person was looking for?. If an animal is killed for land control or food, then I only really have interest in seeing them in those two states. If it's along side some lady/bloke in camo, then it seems like that want to reap some sort of congratulations or kudos!?. thats what I find weird. 

13 minutes ago, 99call said:

Completely disagree with there being no difference.

You'll have to take my word (or not) that I'm not trying to be antagonistic. But I think I have more respect for someone posting a pic of their own kill ( and I've no idea of their intention), than someone posting a pic of their offal stew (and I've no idea of their intention). Perhaps the real issue is humans posting photos of any kind period - but that's another story....

So again, my only real point is that here on the forum, why would we disallow or allow one type of killed animal pic over another? It's really is hypocrisy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

how about because they are completely different things and leave it at that. 

because going any further will take this into prohibited zones. so can we drop it and leave the thread as it was.

if you want to discuss hunting or any aspect thereof, set up another thread and see how long it, and more than likely the proponents, last. 

and if you really insist on posting more on hunting on this thread, please don't waste time asking where your post went. 

• Like 1

another one? really, i have better things to do than spend the day deleting idiotic posts on hunting (idiotic because you have been told endlessly not to do it because it ends up in a bigger mess than anything that ever gets posted on US politics or religion or any other topic). do not post on hunting, guns or anything pertaining thereto.

there must be a squillion places you can have a reasoned discussion on these things elsewhere.

please stop. if you really have to, don't hijack another thread. set up your own so it is easier to delete the entire thing. 

and why is it the people who really should know better? 

1 minute ago, 99call said:

Hey Ken. If that was me, genuinely sorry. I had not seen your shut down message. And had not realised hunting was on the no go list. Apologies Stefan

it was and i apologise if i was a bit curt but a bad day. there was absolutely nothing in your post that was not reasonable. the problem is that it leads to other posts and before we know it, we have genuine antagonism and abuse. yes, you'd think think we'd be above it (sadly, i am as bad as anyone - all in the past, Rob). if you have any doubts, try American politics. same thing. i'd love it if we could discuss what really is one of the most interesting topics on the planet in a sane, reasoned and respectful way. but time after time, we have proved incapable. 

hunting is effectively on the don't touch list because it is so closely linked to guns and because it genuinely and deeply offends a lot of members (and yes, understood it is a love of others)

memo to all - that is not an invitation to debate as to whether or not it should offend people. 

16 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

it was and i apologise if i was a bit curt but a bad day.

My apologies in turn: I just noticed you cut one of my posts.  The timeline suggests I posted it just as you laid down the law....

Wouldn't wish to offend anyone in here -- this forum is friendly, good-natured and even courteous, all too rare on the inter web these days.

Balls.

One thing I can't ever get my head (or mouth) around is eating sweetmeats, prairie oysters or bollocks as they are more commonly known. I'm sure many enjoy them be they stewed, sliced and deep fried, roasted or whatever but I just can't. Purely psychological I'm sure as many enthuse about the flavour and texture but no, can't do it. Feeling nauseous just writing this but getting the thread back on track is an important job to do even if it makes me gag.?