Dunhill brand exiting from the cigar business?

According to an article on Halfwheel.com, British American Tobacco will no longer be offering Dunhill cigars and pipe tobacco.  They will continue to offer cigarettes though.  I'm not well versed on who own's what these days, but it makes me wonder; is there a chance for Habanos SA to get their hands on the brand for the sole purpose of cigar production?  When it comes to brand power in the tobacco business, Dunhill is up there with Cohiba and Davidoff.  The brand hasn't sold like those other two for decades I'm sure, but it's pretty much synonymous with cigars and tobacco.  Should it be offered for sale and the price was right, something tells me Habanos SA probably wouldn't bite as it wouldn't be one of "their" historic brands.  And while they could never recreate, the short lived Dunhill releases of old, the potential of releasing new Cuban Dunhills seems promising.  

• Like 3

Habanos should pick up this brand and license use of other luxury brands that make sense.  I remember the days of being able to smoke cigars inside the Dunhill store when it was on Newbury St. in Boston.  They had a nice small walk in humidor and served free drinks while shopping for clothes (which they make great stuff).

I saw that news article as well, and I thought it was strange the way it was positioned. BAT announced this originally in early 2017:

https://cigar-coop.com/2017/02/cigar-news-british-american-tobacco-to-discontinue-dunhill-cigars-and-pipe-tobacco.html

It's unfortunate because their pipe tobacco is a good seller, and for their NC lines I felt like they finally started to get it right in terms of blend strategy.

I don't think it would happen. Dunhill wants to distance itself from tobacco products. The Dunhill pipe blends now belong to Scandinavian Tobacco Group, and they sell well. But hey, I'm sure the 30 years old banker/broker who enters a Dunhill shop to buy a pen, leather bag or perfume doesn't know about these tobaccos, or Dunhill pipes…

A few years ago, in the Paris Dunhill shop, the pipes were hidden. Not a single one on display!

3 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

I don't think it would happen. Dunhill wants to distance itself from tobacco products. The Dunhill pipe blends now belong to Scandinavian Tobacco Group, and they sell well. But hey, I'm sure the 30 years old banker/broker who enters a Dunhill shop to buy a pen, leather bag or perfume doesn't know about these tobaccos, or Dunhill pipes…

A few years ago, in the Paris Dunhill shop, the pipes were hidden. Not a single one on display!

I too thought this was a "distancing" effort for their brand and it's tobacco history. But according to the article, the luxury good side of the brand is owned by a different entity; Richemont  And given there will still be cigarettes sold under the Dunhill brand through BAT, that association might not be too much of an issue. I wonder if it has to do more with sales? Or perhaps the onerous new FDA regulations ?

The only things Habanos buy are boxes and bands.

I seriously doubt the idea of paying money to use a name on a Cuban Cigar would pass at any HSA meeting....unless it was to be given to HSA as part of a settlement in a trademark dispute....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bundwallah said:

I too thought this was a "distancing" effort for their brand and it's tobacco history. But according to the article, the luxury good side of the brand is owned by a different entity; Richemont  And given there will still be cigarettes sold under the Dunhill brand through BAT, that association might not be too much of an issue. I wonder if it has to do more with sales? Or perhaps the onerous new FDA regulations ?

Tobacco has to be a slow dying industry across the board and tobacco association is looked down upon increasingly year after year.  It could be a branding decision, sales, regulations, etc...  Every brand does evolve and this could Dunhill's next chapter.  Last Dunhill store I was in, was in Singapore and I did not see anything tobacco related.  There may've been a humidor or something, but not as I think of their stores in decades past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ayepatz said:

I somehow can’t imagine the Dunhill name attached to triple-banded, 50+ ring gauge monsters.

Doesn’t seem quite right, somehow.

I agree. Quad-bands seems much better.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ayepatz said:

I somehow can’t imagine the Dunhill name attached to triple-banded, 50+ ring gauge monsters.

Doesn’t seem quite right, somehow.

60 rg or triple-banded? Late to the party Aye - happnin' already....:lol:

Dunh_Signed_toro.jpg.df43343c8f2b2a51a76cc357c09f4202.jpg

Dunh_Signed_gigante.jpg.fc5629902c3a5ae4cb7badb6cef42596.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Smallclub said:

This.

A future launch of any newly created, original, "exclusive" Cuban brand (be called whatever they fancy) would generate more excitement (and revenue) at the moment, than reviving the outdated Dunhill (cigar) brand. They surely won't need the Dunhill name to move their stock.... :rolleyes:  And quite unlike Davidoff - sadly - that name has been scorched for cigars.

One of my favorite places to have a cigar when I travel is The aquarium at Alfred Dunhill in Ginza, Japan. Hopefully this doesn’t change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m an avid pipe smoker and this news broke officially well over a year ago and it’s only begun to hit people. They are withdrawing from the pipe tobacco business and cigars, deciding to be a lifestyle brand, slowly distancing themselves from tobacco. Between McClellands and Dunhill, they account for almost all my favorite blends. Sad days.

I stocked up though, buying a lifetime supply.

https://halfwheel.com/dunhill-plans-exit-cigar-pipe-business/139232

cd8ee329e079c84ea017a3a49efbe38f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Hope that HSA purchase the rights of Dunhill and releases it as a premium cigar brand as others suggested. Sad to see one of the legendary cigar brand which was in the same league as Davidoff from pre embargo being disappeared from the history...

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

And err… do you often smoke that blue pipe which lies in the glass display, just above and left to the blue globe? Just curious…   Fantastic stash, btw. These Germain blends made for Smoker's Heaven are my favorite! 

Lol when I was like 18, college freshman, there was an article in Playboy Magazine... when there was such. thing. which mention a company which was making dongs (most PC word I could think of at the moment) out of three “religious icons”. I’d never heard of anything more sacrilegious than that and had to have the set. ‘Twas a terrific conversation piece... although my extremely religious roommate at the time, Eugene Donald Winkler, was extremely unimpressed and quite disturbed. Ironically, Satan was the only one which remains after almost 30yrs of packing/unpacking/relocating.  

And I agree about Smoker’s Haven!! Just this past month, for the first time in years, their blends became available once again for pre-order, due to be delivered this month. There is currently still Cognac and Exotique still available. It’s entirely possible this will be the final time. Luckily, Premal is a really nice guy and reached out to let me know. I’ve ordered 30 tins of Exotique (my favorite), 20 tins of Our Best Blend, and 15 Cognac blends. That, combined with what I currently have, should translate into far more than I’ll smoke in this life. Honestly, between those three blends, I could smoke them exclusively for the rest of my days and never tire of them. Germaine’s truly is the finest blender out there. They make things using ancient equipment/techniques and have a staff so small it’s difficult to believe, but explains why their blends are so impossible to find. Pipe smoking is so globally small and costs of production so high that it’s getting extremely difficult to produce blends for a profit. The grade of tobacco required for great pipe tobacco is not-so-slowly being phased out. There’s more money in the cheap stuff used for cigarettes and the good stuff just isn’t worth producing for what amounts to what is statistically only a few pipe smokers. Add to this the American FDA... and well, the future of pipe tobacco is bleak to say the least. The closing of McClellands and the withdrawal of Dunhill says nothing good about the future. I’m just thankful I was able to read the tobacco leaves and stock up in time. Also, a lucky coincidence is tobacco is best when aged, which means in another 10 years I’ll be sitting on some of the best tobacco there is.

Luckily, my tobacco interests are diversified and I’ll be okay, but damn, it’s a sad thing to watch what’s happening. Cigars are popular enough to need not worry about such things. Obviously, the FDA is not now, nor will ever be, a friend to tobacco, but at least cigars are relatively safe due to a huge global base. There’s money to be made in cigars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro