Cigars and Divorce

Sorry about your trouble and I hope you can work something equitable out. 

For a little comic relief I give you the one and only Eddie Murphy.

2 hours ago, JamesKPolkEsq said:

2,000 cigars at $10 each is $20k.

Purely from a financial consideration, I can understand why she wants a piece... 

If she had $20,000 worth of make-up, wouldn't you want that to be accounted for in the divorce proceedings? 

Perhaps offer something in exchange of equal value (like a car)? 

I understand the logic here, and it might be the right approach, but net present value for collectibles can be very tricky to figure out. Given the dubious nature of acquisition you may not want to resist too much so you won't have to get into the how they were procured.

I'm sorry that you're going through this. It's never easy.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have been professionally involved in some divisions/distributions of assets in the past. Laws can vary from state to state, and IMO, it would be best to get legal advice from an experienced lawyer who is admitted in the state you live in.

8 hours ago, Squarehead said:

and the winner(s) in all of this are the lawyers.I'm sure they will enjoy some if not all of your cigars

No, the lawyer will light his own cigars with 100 dollar bills from the OP!

Much good advise in this thread.   But the best is:

1. Hire a good lawyer immediately as your wife,  soon to be ex,  has shown her stripes;

2. Smoke away,  as many as you can enjoy. 

Good luck in navigating these tough times. 

11 hours ago, Buck14 said:

I am going through this now, my longtime girlfriend (13 years) and I broke up two days ago. We are not married thank god. But she would never go after anything thats clearly mine (cigars) and neither would I to her (jewelry). There are a coup,e of things that we will fight over but I’m optimistic we can work it out. This sucks.

Sorry to hear mate. 

51 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Again, sorry to hear you are going through this. 

Best advice I was given. 

1. divorce is expensive because it is worth it. 

2. It's only stuff. She will exit with the same amount as you (eventually). 

3. Resentment, anger and bitterness are poison. The only winner is the one who can avoid these.  There can be more than one winner. 

That's actually really deep and good advice.  I too am going to need it.  Especially tough when kids are involved.

Sorry to hear this, divorce is never a good experience. 

As many have said, get a good and mean lawyer but understand that the said lawyer will be expensive. 

As Rob has said, it is only stuff. Obviously, some of that stuff you want but others you won't care for. I hope it works out for you. 

Treat it like a business, cause that is what the lawyers and court will be doing, once it is finalised, move on from the negative emotions. 

Again, sorry to hear that you are going through this. 

Cigars come in boxes yes?

Look on eBay, it is the box that is of real value. Leave one or two cigars in each box, the boxes in the humidor and take the worthless weed with you!

There is more than one way to skin a cat... -the Pig

Oh, and tell her not to eat anything from the fridge while you are gone... nor to use your half of the lightbulbs!

sell them to a friend for $5......split it with her and buy them back from the friend later.....Im a Doctor not  a lawyer and this is not medical advice, but sounds good to me. or value them really high, insist they are her part and take the real assets....just to piss her off. Just being a dick again. Its the Bourbon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1