Dark wrappers that won't burn!

I am currently burning through a box of RASS code MUR Nov12 with darker shade wrappers that seem on the thicker side and the damn things won't stay lit! I store year round at 65% humidity and today is a cool sunny day with very dry spring air and I have to constantly relight these things. Glad this box is almost gone! Anybody have the same issue? Thoughts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cfc1016 said:

Have you tried dryboxing them for a couple days around 60% before smoking?

I could but not sure if that will cure these thick fireproof wrappers. Just don't want to dry the cigars out so much that they become brittle and start falling apart. Real dry cigars will burn hot and harsh I would think. This box is almost gone and I have several other boxes of RASS with much lighter golden brown wrappers. This is my preferred shade.

11 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

I could but not sure if that will cure these thick fireproof wrappers. Just don't want to dry the cigars out so much that they become brittle and start falling apart. Real dry cigars will burn hot and harsh I would think. This box is almost gone and I have several other boxes of RASS with much lighter golden brown wrappers. This is my preferred shade.

I’m generally a Connecticut or Colorado man too. 

1-2 days at lower rh shouldn’t have a profound effect on the filler, I wouldn’t think. Might as well give it a shot. 

I know others have had cigars with the "fireproof" wrappers also, so I am not alone. Just a part of the joys of the hobby. I get my fair share of perfectly burning sticks, so take the good with the bad, LOL!

• Like 1

I’m frustrated with my Partagas Lusitanias.

The first couple were good. The last two have been a royal pain. One would just swell and split despite being kept at 62 percent. So this last one I dry boxed for several days and it would not stay lit at all. I got so frustrated with it I threw it out and lit up a BBF. 

36 minutes ago, fitzy said:

I’m frustrated with my Partagas Lusitanias.

The first couple were good. The last two have been a royal pain. One would just swell and split despite being kept at 62 percent. So this last one I dry boxed for several days and it would not stay lit at all. I got so frustrated with it I threw it out and lit up a BBF. 

I’ll dispose of your unwanted lusitanias. I won’t even charge you for the service. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Thick dark sandpaper wrapper are the worst of all. 

A week in an airconditioned room is the best thing for them.

Yup, that about sums up these RASS from MUR NOV12. They have been in my cabinet for the last 5 years, at 65% and burn poorly. I have to double puff on them every 30 seconds to keep it lit, otherwise keep re-lighting. Horrible wrappers. 

Just smoked a circa 2000 Esplendido yesterday, it had fireproof wrapper on it. Required a lot of touchups to keep it going, but wow it was a delicious cigar... the only Cohiba that seems to delight my taste buds. That was my last one from two that were gifted to me, so I won't have to drybox any. 

22 hours ago, NYgarman said:

I am currently burning through a box of RASS code MUR Nov12 with darker shade wrappers that seem on the thicker side and the damn things won't stay lit! I store year round at 65% humidity and today is a cool sunny day with very dry spring air and I have to constantly relight these things. Glad this box is almost gone! Anybody have the same issue? Thoughts.

Yep the good old fireproof wrappers - had it on my first box of Mag 46 which put me off the sticks and fireproof was the only consistent thing I had with that box. I had a couple of really good examples from @garbandz when I was getting my palate into things but I am afraid I've turned my back on the Mag 46 for now (I probably should give them a chance again as I love Upmann!)

Nope dry boxing didn't help the sticks I had, can't remember enjoy a single one from the box and sold most.

4 hours ago, Hutch said:

Never happens on the light colored wrappers I covet. It’s been a boon that y’all scramble for your dark and oilies. :)

I agree never seen light wrappers that were thick and fireproof.

Never happens on the light colored wrappers I covet. It’s been a boon that y’all scramble for your dark and oilies.

You’re so right... I let everybody else chase the dark wrapper stuff.

You’re so right... I let everybody else chase the dark wrapper stuff.
Good. Stay away! Lol1d3719f59916383b2b7204ae70a706c0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 3