My first time with beetles...

I've read about this happening, but it has never happened to me.... :(  I cleaned out the humidor this weekend as it's FINALLY above freezing here in Minnesota, and to my horror I found beetles!!

I pulled out all the sticks with holes, and immediately pulled everything out and bagged them up.  I currently have them in the freezer hoping that it holds off any others getting ruined.  

What else should I do to prevent losing any other cigars?

Cigars.jpg

• Sad 6

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've read about this happening, but it has never happened to me....   I cleaned out the humidor this weekend as it's FINALLY above freezing here in Minnesota, and to my horror I found beetles!! I

Okay. Okay. We all need to stop. This thread is having a greater effect than any government campaign.  They should put beetles on the front instead of the tumours.  Heck, the pictu

Deep breaths.  if you smoke cigars long enough, you are going to see at least a beetle hole.  It is a little like driving....you are eventually going to have a bingle.  99.999% of what you s

Get everything in the freezer and give your humidor a thorough clean. Check your humidity levels as I would be surprised to see a beetle outbreak if the temperature was low. 

• Like 2

If it’s not expensive, I would just toss the humidor and buy a new one. Safer than attempting to sanitize the infected humi

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ohhey!itskev said:

2 beetle posts in one day, you've got me paranoid now, think I'll check my own stash.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Same here, I know what I'm doing tonight!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, iahawk36 said:

Thanks guys....I'll get them in the freezer today, and I've already got a new humidor on the way.  How long should I freeze them for?

I have a chest freezer and freeze them for 48 hours at 10 degrees below zero F. 

If you only have the freezer part of your fridge, crank it up to coldest setting and place cigars in the bottom the coldest spot for at least 48 hours. Get a freezer thermometer.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this - I've been through the same horror but mine was slightly more severe. To this day I freeze everything, I don't care where it's from, it gets frozen.

I follow this kind of regime: fridge for 24 hours, freezer for 3-5 days (or when I remember to take out), back in the fridge for another 24 hours or so. Some others will have a variation on this, it is just personal preference.

• Like 3

I just got a box of Trinidad Reyes yesterday, few cigar had holes in them,  they are in the freezer now, and probably leave them in for a week!  I've already contacted the vendor.

I'll inspect them again after a week in the freezer.  I store all my cigars in tupperware with Boveda packs.

IMG_8080.thumb.JPG.79b700b0b221f805feee3ac319dd6ba1.JPG

• Sad 2

If you cant keep your temp under18 C then  you should freeze.

It only takes one live beetle from any source.

Number one source are cuba customs or cuba boxes mixing with your other stock (even briefly)

• Like 2

I have 5 tuppies and 4 ammo cans of Cubans. Some of them I never froze, ( about half) but I know which ones... when I got home today I rounded all the unfrozen ones and put them in the deep freezer.
Your post got me worried.

36 minutes ago, crking3 said:

One freeze treatment ? Even I they’ve gone months and months without showin signs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are above 18C, I would. Minimal risk but why not? There is so much trading of cigars in the world today, you never know if your cigars have had an encounter with a cigar from the wrong side of the tracks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Presidente said:

If you cant keep your temp under18 C then  you should freeze.

It only takes one live beetle from any source.

Number one source are cuba customs or cuba boxes mixing with your other stock (even briefly)

18C?   Always thought it was a little higher 

Just now, GotaCohiba said:

18C?   Always thought it was a little higher 

21 C is the accepted. 

We run our walk in at 18 C and our lockers at 16 C. 

Beetles are very sluggish but can still be active between 18-21.  18 is a just to be sure measure. 

Oh God, i have been playing the whole 'should I' or 'Shouldn't I' for a year now...:wacko:

I mean I'm in the UK so it's hardly blisteringly hot, but for about 30 days in the year its certainly in the 20's...-_-

It's going to take a while and some tears to bag and freeze my stash...though I guess all precautions are worthwhile :huh: ...

But part of me, okay a large part of me, just cannot be bothered :blush:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

...that's the part that generally wins with me :D

...and you seem to be doing just fine :lol:!

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

21 C is the accepted. 

We run our walk in at 18 C and our lockers at 16 C. 

Beetles are very sluggish but can still be active between 18-21.  18 is a just to be sure measure. 

Thanks for the quick reply

I’ve been keeping the aristocrat at 65

May take it down a couple more after seeing those pics

Question for the those in the know.  Do y’all take into account the temp of the cigars during shipment?  Surely temps get above 18C/65F during shipping to the vendor, AND then to the customer.  If there are no signs of beetles upon receipt of a box of cigars, isn’t more than likely that you’re good to go?  Or does the temp have to be sustained for a longer period of time?  I always read it was a combination of temp and humidity, and not just temp?  I’ve learned over the years to keep my humidity lower through trial and error due to living in a high humidy area along the coast, from 69% to 67% and now to 65%.  I’m thinking about taking my humidity down to about 63%, cause I think my cigars are ever so slightly not quite where I want them to be.  Anyway, doesn’t humidity have to be above 72% with a temp greater than 70 degrees F?  Or, what are the “safe” conditions that cigars should be stored at, to avoid beetle infestation without freezing?  I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I think its relevant to the subject at hand...y’all have a nice day.

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

High temp (standard humidity) = beetles

Standard temp and high humidity = mold

Beetles = beetles, regardless of humidity.  Once they are on the move,  the little blighters are just as happy at 50 RH as they are 80 RH.