NFL Draft - 2018

Ken Gargett

24 hours to go. 

for fans, any thoughts on what your team might do?

very interested to hear from fans of the browns and giants.

who will get barkley?

who will go 1? 

what order will the QBs fall?

for the skins, last year we had jonathan allen fall to us at 17 - the sort of thing that a skins fan does not believe should happen to them. the divinities quickly balanced that by injuring him for the year.

anyone likely to fall this year? 

hot tip is that we take a DL, most likely vea but possibly payne and i suspect i would rather him. some talk fitzpatrick falls that far, due to so many teams chasing QBs. but we have bruce allen in charge so every chance we grab the janitor. lot of talk we might trade down. not sure about that unless both payne and vea still there and we don't go far. 

will the bucs go kicker in the first two rounds? 

Latest word on No.1 pick for CLE is Allen or Mayfield. I wouldn’t want any of these QB’s with the first pick. That said, I think Allen will go first overall and sit behind Tyrod Taylor for the first 11-12 games of the season. 

Vegas has the Over/Under at 5.5  for QB’s in the 1st Round. I’d take the Under if I had to bet but it looks like there will be at least 5...

Jets fan here.  Will be watching to see how creatively they can break my heart again this year.... I like the RB personally as the best player in the draft, I don't think any of these QB's are really franchise QB's.....but, out of the QB's I like Mayfield the best mainly because of his attitude. 

• Like 1

Big Giants fan here.  I want a QB. Hopefully we will never be a #2 pick again, but all the sports talk shows are saying they are going to take Barkley.  We need a qb. Eli has maybe 2 years.

imo top 4 picks will be 3 quarterbacks and Barkley. We’ll see.

Browns fan here. 

I expect Darnold at 1 and Chubb at 4. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we took Mayfield at 1 or traded out of 4. 

As usual, this is equal to the Super Bowl for us. All or nothing. 

3 hours ago, stunod said:

Big Giants fan here.  I want a QB. Hopefully we will never be a #2 pick again, but all the sports talk shows are saying they are going to take Barkley.  We need a qb. Eli has maybe 2 years.

imo top 4 picks will be 3 quarterbacks and Barkley. We’ll see.

I agree. I’d be very upset if I were a Giants fan and heard Barkley’s name at 2. 

Broncos fan.  Want to trade down and pick the best defensive player available.  Also really, really want Mason Rudolph in the second round.  Steal of the draft if he reaches his potential.

1 hour ago, benfica_77 said:

Redskins taking a kicker first round :P

would not be the first time. 1966. took a kicker with the 6th pick overall. charlie gogolak. lasted two seasons. in typical skins fashion, his brother had been drafted a few years earlier, in the 12th round. by the bills and then to the giants and is one of their hall or fame, or whatever they call it, players. typical.

but hey, that was way way better than the biggest draft bust ever. no not ryan leaf or anyone else. cal rossi. worst ever.

in 1946, we took him with the 9th overall pick. things were different back then and no one had bothered to ask cal, or check, if he was eligible. as a junior at the time, he was not. wasted first pick. 

but wait, it gets so much better.

the skins were not to be denied. the following year, with the 4th overall pick (note the rising up the charts) they went back to the well. and took, you guessed it, RB cal rossi (apparently he was good). whoops.

although he was now eligible, no one had asked cal if he was interested. he had no intention of playing professional football. so that was another wasted first round pick (anyone know if bruce allen had a time machine?). 

• Like 1

Loyal Redskin fan here.  :tantrum:  With Allen you never know.  But what they need is run stopping players more than anything in my opinion.  Vea out of Washington or Payne from Alabama are my choices if possible.

35 minutes ago, anacostiakat said:

Loyal Redskin fan here.  :tantrum:  With Allen you never know.  But what they need is run stopping players more than anything in my opinion.  Vea out of Washington or Payne from Alabama are my choices if possible.

for me, payne then vea. if fitzpatrick fell, then probably. unless someone else falls out of the blue, that will do me. 

Raiders fan here, I hope they go o-line or secondary, but I would not be the least bit surprised if they traded the pick to get more picks. Lot of info out there stating they will grab Smith the LB from GA. I would not mind that either since it would be great pairing him up with Mack. Being from the tri-state are in US (NY,NJ,CT) I am also interested to see what the Jets and Giants will do. I think the Jets will draft a QB and I think the Giants will trade the pick and still get Saquon. 

What are everyone's thoughts on Lamar Jackson? Another RG3? I honestly like him the most out of all the quarterbacks, but definitely needs some polishing/grooming. 

-Shake

10 hours ago, sjmistry said:

Raiders fan here, I hope they go o-line or secondary, but I would not be the least bit surprised if they traded the pick to get more picks. Lot of info out there stating they will grab Smith the LB from GA. I would not mind that either since it would be great pairing him up with Mack. Being from the tri-state are in US (NY,NJ,CT) I am also interested to see what the Jets and Giants will do. I think the Jets will draft a QB and I think the Giants will trade the pick and still get Saquon. 

What are everyone's thoughts on Lamar Jackson? Another RG3? I honestly like him the most out of all the quarterbacks, but definitely needs some polishing/grooming. 

-Shake

Jackson's stats are inflated a lot due to garbage time.  He's talented but has pretty high bust potential.

Can't believe Chubb fell to us.

22 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

for me, payne then vea. if fitzpatrick fell, then probably. unless someone else falls out of the blue, that will do me. 

First round down and I am very happy with Payne!  Roll Tide!  :2thumbs:  Looking forward to round two!!! 

3 minutes ago, anacostiakat said:

First round down and I am very happy with Payne!  Roll Tide!  :2thumbs:  Looking forward to round two!!! 

hoping we are thinking RB guice but i believe we will have to trade up for him. possibly sit and wait for chubb? i have no problem with trading up for him if he is as good as they say. i know depth crucial but depth is overrated if they are all bog average. quality over quantity. 

12 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

hoping we are thinking RB guice but i believe we will have to trade up for him. possibly sit and wait for chubb? i have no problem with trading up for him if he is as good as they say. i know depth crucial but depth is overrated if they are all bog average. quality over quantity. 

Yea Ken.  We need help at running back.  Kind of discouraging (I know we had a ton of injuries) that we didn't perform better at the position and the O Line.  Tough staying healthy but there were just too many players hurt last year.  Really looking forward to see what they do.  A little scared with Allen calling the shots but they did good on first round. 

As a Longhorn fan, I've greatly enjoyed Aussie import Michael Dickson, drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round. The Ray Guy winner, he brings an amazing ability to place his punts that will absolutely win the Seahawks games over the years by flipping the field. Not that many would have been interested in watching Texas and Missouri in the Texas Bowl in December, but Dickson won the game MVP for keeping the Tigers red-hot SEC offense pinned in their end of the field with:

• 10 of those punts landed inside Mizzou’s 15-yard line. 
  • 7 landed inside the 10-yard line.
  • 4 landed inside the 5-yard line.
  • ZERO touchbacks.

He's a great kid and now his cousin will be the punter at UT. Looks like there's an Aussie pipeline to Austin!