Save 'em or smoke 'em?

This is an interesting question.   A member like Rob at some point with probably hundreds of boxes can choose to stop collecting and start smoking.  But what about the new member when do they say ok stop collecting and smoking.  Or do you do both.  Awesome question just different perspectives based on their cigar journey.  I for myself am a saver always waiting for that special moment that years later wonder why I did not just smoke it.
Simple answer is to buy more than you smoke. Or, to look at it slightly more frugally, smoke less than you buy. At the moment I have around 400 cigars without really thinking about it, it's just sort of happened. Something comes up on 24:24 and you think "Well, I can afford that" and another box magically appears. Then, a few days later something comes up on 24:24 and...
  • Like 1

Wonderful and wise advise shared by many here.

As an aside, I’ve recently come to the conclusion that if I’m hesitating to smoke a particular cigar because of a larger initial investment (not sentimental reason), then I probably couldn’t truly afford it (or didn't “need” it) in the first place. Just trying to be brutally honest with myself recently, especially with a newborn at home. Sometimes a bit of self-reflection and introspection can go a long way to slow me down and refocus on the truly important things in life.  Now, I personally don't believe that an occasional splurge or a bit self-indulgence is harmful by any means - in fact I'd argue the opposite. But really it all comes down to moderation, as can be said about anything in life really.  In regards to cigars as a consumable luxury item, I feel I should be a able to smoke anything in my collection without feeling even a tinge of regret or buyer’s remorse. Honestly, I'm not sure I could say that about everything I have currently. Makes me appreciate that box of JL2’s or Connie 1’s even more! The best smokes I've had have been cheap to moderately-priced but shared with good company. 

Cheers!

• Like 2