Intensely sweet, young vitolas?

It seems that one of the biggest long term effects of my cigarette habit earlier in life, is that I don't taste sweet flavors as well as I used to. My whole palate is less sensitive than it used to be before I ever took up cigarettes, really. I can still pick up a broad range of flavors, just not nearly as acutely as I used to. So a very subtle sweetness will probably manage to pass under my radar. That being the case, I tend to steer more toward cigars with intense flavors, as they give me more pleasure these days.

I just got my first box of JL2s, and am hoping I get to enjoy some of the sweetness I've heard so many of you rave about from them. I'll ask though... Do you guys have any particular vitolas that you find to be *intensely* sweet, specifically when they're young (under 3 years, let's say)?

I tend towards 'smoking what I've got' rather than trying to put something away for the next couple years before I get to enjoy it. I'm craving some of that sweetness, and I just don't really want to wait 5 years for a cab of plpcs to melt into caramel. Is this a quixotic dream?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

I'm craving some of that sweetness, and I just don't really want to wait 5 years for a cab of plpcs to melt into caramel. Is this a quixotic dream?

Yes maybe a quixotic dream. 5yr's for PLPC is realistic, but RGPC particularly SOM JUN 16 box codes are great. Or maybe San Cristobal Principe's or TOS La Punta. LGCMD No4

I think in actual fact your pretty lucky, so many these days are focusing of flipping or smoking big gauge cigars that there are suppliers where you can pick up 14-15-16 stock for Petit Coronas, that are showing that sweetness in spades. 

To me JL1's are the sweeter choice between two, but you wont be disappointed. 

You can still pick up 15 PL Picadores stock that has a lovely sweet green pea/caramel sweetness

Good luck on the quest

• Like 1

I have found the HdM Elegantes to be very sweet right out of the box! 

• Like 3

I have never smoked a cigar from any country that was described as you say "intensely" sweet. Perhaps if you dip your cigar into a bowl of honey or maple syrup you may acquire that flavor description. That is not a flavor that I associate with cigars, and I have been in the hobby 30 odd years.

• Like 3

Of all the boxes in my humidor, I find the Diplomatico 2’s to be the most intensely sweet, with a vanilla element front and center.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thedame007 said:

I have found the HdM Elegantes to be very sweet right out of the box! 

This! Sweet to the point of reminding me of candy with a floral/perfume like scent mixed in from start to finish. (In a good way mind you)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 99call said:

Yes maybe a quixotic dream. 5yr's for PLPC is realistic, but RGPC particularly SOM JUN 16 box codes are great. Or maybe San Cristobal Principe's or TOS La Punta. LGCMD No4

I think in actual fact your pretty lucky, so many these days are focusing of flipping or smoking big gauge cigars that there are suppliers where you can pick up 14-15-16 stock for Petit Coronas, that are showing that sweetness in spades. 

To me JL1's are the sweeter choice between two, but you wont be disappointed. 

You can still pick up 15 PL Picadores stock that has a lovely sweet green pea/caramel sweetness

Good luck on the quest

3 hours ago, NotLawReview said:

I've found the PL Panetelas to be quite sweet when young, and you can find them for ~$60 a box! Short filler though, just FYI

2 hours ago, NYgarman said:

I have never smoked a cigar from any country that was described as you say "intensely" sweet. Perhaps if you dip your cigar into a bowl of honey or maple syrup you may acquire that flavor description. That is not a flavor that I associate with cigars, and I have been in the hobby 30 odd years.

I wonder if my receptors for sweetness are just pretty much shot. I've gone through more than a handful of picadores, principes, mdo4s and pl panetelas and just never picked it up - regardless of how much i enjoyed all 4.

@NYgarman I haven't either. That's why, despite thinking I may be dreaming the impossible dream, I figured I might as well ask. After ~20 years of this myself, it's not something I've ever found either.

Sounds like , as I presumed, I just have to accept that that's not a flavor element that I'm going to be able to appreciate. Oh well. 'Know your limitations', right?

3 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

I wonder if my receptors for sweetness are just pretty much shot. I've gone through more than a handful of picadores, principes, mdo4s and pl panetelas and just never picked it up - regardless of how much i enjoyed all 4.

@NYgarman I haven't either. That's why, despite thinking I may be dreaming the impossible dream, I figured I might as well ask. After ~20 years of this myself, it's not something I've ever found either.

Sounds like , as I presumed, I just have to accept that that's not a flavor element that I'm going to be able to appreciate. Oh well. 'Know your limitations', right?

So I think a lot of it has to do with what I'm drinking along side of the stick... The last two PL Panetelas that I had were smoked alongside one of those new mango diet cokes and the two actually paired incredibly well together and the coke brought the sweet flavors of the PL out in spades 

7 hours ago, NYgarman said:

5 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Once I had a Vigia and right after that a PLPC.

It was sweet, sweet as sugar, at least in the first third. Besides that I cant remember any other time.

1 hour ago, NotLawReview said:

So I think a lot of it has to do with what I'm drinking along side of the stick... The last two PL Panetelas that I had were smoked alongside one of those new mango diet cokes and the two actually paired incredibly well together and the coke brought the sweet flavors of the PL out in spades 

I drink coffee with most cigars, as most of what i smoke is full bodied and not overpowered by the coffee. When i smoke lighter cigars, i pair with canda dry DIET cranberry ginger ale. I still never pick up sweetness. I’ve burned a whole lot of plps and never gotten that. I really think it’s just my palate. I’m not very sensitive to sweetness anymore. C’est la

vie. 

18 minutes ago, oliverdst said:

Once I had a Vigia and right after that a PLPC.

It was sweet, sweet as sugar, at least in the first third. Besides that I cant remember any other time.

Got both in my box. I’d say they’re probably the two that have been closest to a sweet flavor for me, but it’s more of a chocolatey sweetness than a sugary sweetness, if that even makes sense. 

8 hours ago, NYgarman said:

That is not a flavor that I associate with cigars, and I have been in the hobby 30 odd years.

Then I guess the word "sweetness" is problematic, because some habanos are regularly described as "chocolate bomb", "dessert cigar", etc.

There is a reason honey, caramel, sweet cream, sponge cake, crème brûlée, are so often cited…

I have had some SCdLH Murallas that were pure moka, or Trinidad Robusto Extra that were so sugary that I almost worried for my teeth… but "sweetness" is still very vague for me (english isn't my mother tongue), I don't know if it's "softness", "sugariness", "creaminess", etc.

25 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

There is a reason honey, caramel, sweet cream, sponge cake, crème brûlée, are so often cited…

I have had some SCdLH Murallas that were pure moka, or Trinidad Robusto Extra that were so sugary that I almost worried for my teeth…

Yes, a pure sugary sweetness can certainly be present. I once had a SP Beli that expressed such a pronounced cane sugar sweetness that i could literally taste it on my tongue. But that type of sweetness I would never associate with a particular marca characteristic, as it is more something that happens just so ocassionally in the odd single stick.

The "other sweetnesses" used in describing a smoke, I guess, are more meant to depict the aroma of a cigar.

ERDM CS box from about 8 years ago was the sweetest tasting cigar for me yet. Unfortunately I smoked the whole box in the first year after receiving. That was pure sugar tasting, but if you need more nuances, RyJ Short Churchill is the answer - cherry sweetness all the way. PLMC is also a candidate, more so than PLP for me at least.

In my humble and limited opinion / experience, i get hints of sweetness in the cigars that I have smoked. 

The only time I actually got loads of sweetness was in an (now old) sampler Trinidad Funi. I had a steak dinner with all the trimmings, then got a glass of port. 

That Funi to me tasted of Cupcakes. 

I have not got back there in the same level of sweetness since. Closest would be HdM DDs but it is different. 

You could try the PL Monte, they are quite "sweet" young as well but not sure if it has the level you are looking for. 

I had an H Upmann Mag 46, just about 1 year out from the box date, and as soon as I hit the 2/3 it definitely took on what I would consider a strong sweet cream taste.  It was a pretty significant change from the 1/3.  Might be worth picking up a few and giving them a shot

• 2 weeks later...

I just had an oliva serie v melanio torpedo, tons of brown sugar sweetness in the last third. Not a Cuban, but pretty enjoyable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, prodigy said:

I just had an oliva serie v melanio torpedo, tons of brown sugar sweetness in the last third. Not a Cuban, but pretty enjoyable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I smoked your 2014 johnnyo baby salomone from joe’s boxpass yesterday. I see what you meant about it being like a snickers bar. Lots lf chocolatiness. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 10:10 AM, NYgarman said:

You must’ve never had a Baccarat.  I recieved one in a sampler once, and decided to burn it on my way home from work.  Well, as soon as I lit it and took the first puffs to light it, I pitched it out of the window onto the street :lol:.  Now I like sweetness in cigars, but not THAT sweet.  It was intensely sweet to me, cause it had a sweetened tip.  At one point in time I used to like those sweetened tips, but that was before I started smoking premium cigars, and back in the Lars Tetens/Hav-a-Tampa Jewels/Swisher Sweets days for me.

Anyways, I don’t know of any intensely sweet premium cigars unfortunately (besides the Baccarat).  But one I found pretty tasty that had some great sweetness, is a SCdLH Principe.  First Cuban I nubbed...or, if you’re up for it, give up smoking for a few weeks, give your palate time to reset.  So with that, I wish you good luck in your quest, and I hope you find what you are looking for.

On 5/11/2018 at 9:38 AM, alloy said:

Although NC, try a baccarat if you want sweetness.

I actually started writing the response above yesterday, about the time you posted your response.  I suppose we may be in agreement about Baccarat :lol:.

There’s no such thing as extreme sweetness in untreated tobacco. Cheap or flavored cigars, as well as cased tobacco, are what you’re after if seeking extreme sweetness on the lips