Build your own Double Corona

I've had a quick look through search terms on the forum, (as I would of imagined something like this would of been done to death) but couldn't find anything. Hell, even if it has been done before, lets give it another crack. 

For me ideally you would be wanting to to have every next cigar, pick up at the body point of the last, but I know all of you 'do not affect my freedom of speechers' may want to go 3 x BBF or maybe have a Culebras matted dreadlock, who knows? blend as you like. 

Remember it's not an actual Sancho Sancho, stuck to a Monte A stuck to a Hoyo Particulares (although I'm sure this will be Kens choice), but a condensed version of their blends in  3x 2.3/4 chunks. 

I'll go a:

Cigar 1 = Quai D'Orsay Corona

Cigar 2 = Upmann Connie A

Cigar 3 = Partagas 898

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 11.29.36.png

I think a cigar that could progress from Partagas to Cohiba to H Upmann, in that order, would be perfect. Those are basically my favorite profiles and would provide sharp, noticeable changes that really keep you engaged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HDGSN said:

I think a cigar that could progress from Partagas to Cohiba to H Upmann, in that order, would be perfect. Those are basically my favorite profiles and would provide sharp, noticeable changes that really keep you engaged.

Out of interest, are you saying Partagas in the 1st 3rd?. Do you think the heft of those oils, would or would not sully the more delicate Cohiba in the 2nd?

Not criticising, just interested, as I've always wondered how much the accrual of power in the final 3rd, is the blend, and how much is the saturation of oils being drawn through from the initial smoke.

Not a CC, but La Gloria Cubana did a special release just like this a few years back called the Artesanos De Tabaqueros.  It had a a Connecticut Shade wrapper at the foot with an abrupt transition to an Ecuadorian grown Sumatran wrapper for about the last 2/3rds of the cigar. It starts off fairly mild with creamy coffee notes and a bit of hay and then picks up in strength and body once you hit the Sumatran wrapper where there is a bit of pepper and leather and earth.  It was described as enjoying the appetizer before the porterhouse steak.  I loved them and went on a box which have only got better over the years as the 'porterhouse' section has mellowed out.  

LGCreview007.thumb.jpg.90f578cd1a6f0dad3826790cee61e519.jpg  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

Wouldn't work for me. The last thing I want from a long cigar is a sudden, brutal change of the flavours. It has to be a progression, not a right angle turn.

Yep, I can definitely (like you've pointed out) see the obvious limitations of the concept. The reason I thought it was interesting topic, is that I can find DC's quite monotonous. They are my least favoured vitola, and I think it's more my short attention span then anything else. 

out of interest are their any two blends that you think could merge well. for example a Ramon Allones into Partagas,   or Rafael Gonzalez into Quai D'Orsay?

32 minutes ago, 99call said:

Yep, I can definitely (like you've pointed out) see the obvious limitations of the concept. The reason I thought it was interesting topic, is that I can find DC's quite monotonous. They are my least favoured vitola, and I think it's more my short attention span then anything else. 

Same for me.  Much rather prefer a PC, Robusto, or Corona Gorda :ok:

12 minutes ago, Doctorossi said:

Sadly, the first, though. I was going to say the exact same thing.

Do you think the idea of "progression" of a DC or "having a trick up it's sleeve" is miscommunicated by seasoned smokers. I see DC's like concept albums. Marvin Gays "Whats Going On" or Van Morrision's "Astral Weeks" they are often lilting soft journeys, which is great, but I do often think it's a lost opportunity for just a touch more creativity. not acid jazz though...Jesus, that would be awful

46 minutes ago, 99call said:

Do you think the idea of "progression" of a DC or "having a trick up it's sleeve" is miscommunicated by seasoned smokers. I see DC's like concept albums. Marvin Gays "Whats Going On" or Van Morrision's "Astral Weeks" they are often lilting soft journeys, which is great, but I do often think it's a lost opportunity for just a touch more creativity. not acid jazz though...Jesus, that would be awful

I'm not sure how to answer that, but I do think something of the "album programming" (running order) would be lost with the "compilation album" approach you describe, if I can continue the analogy too far. For me, the development of tar and residue over the length of a DC are sufficient to effect change and development, even assuming none is inherent in the leaf or blend (which it is, anyway, in both cases). Also, the bunch in a DC is typically made of longer leaves; creating a tri-partate blend of shorter leaves to do this three-bunch approach could be terribly wasteful (although I'd happily puff away on that "waste" any day).

Anyway, if you're saying what I think you're saying, yes- I prefer to listen to a "whole album statement" rather than a handful of hit singles or a weekend rock-block.  :D

1 hour ago, 99call said:

out of interest are their any two blends that you think could merge well. for example a Ramon Allones into Partagas,   or Rafael Gonzalez into Quai D'Orsay?

RA—>Partagas

Diplomatico—>VR

RG—>Montecristo

SLR—>Punch

maybe San Cristobal—>Bolivar and Sancho Panza—>Upmann…

ERDM—>RyJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 99call said:

Out of interest, are you saying Partagas in the 1st 3rd?. Do you think the heft of those oils, would or would not sully the more delicate Cohiba in the 2nd?

Not criticising, just interested, as I've always wondered how much the accrual of power in the final 3rd, is the blend, and how much is the saturation of oils being drawn through from the initial smoke.

I was envisioning only the flavors of those brands and not a Frankenstein-like stitching of the actual blends where oils and nicotine effects have to be accounted for.  The ideal DC if under its own brand and blend would progress from Partagas type flavors to Cohiba type flavors to H Upmann type flavors based on when during the stage of a cigar I find the flavors of those brands most enjoyable, with those three brands being my favorites.  Otherwise, I agree, an actual Partagas flowing into an Esplendido would be a bit like drinking a California Cab and transitioning into a German Riesling or something.

3 hours ago, 99call said:

....is that I can find DC's quite monotonous.

I think this is the crux of the matter. Even if it shows nice complexity with little evolution, with two plus hours invested, any cigar might become tedious if it is the focal point.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

1.) Punch DC

2.) Punch DC

3.) Punch DC

Boom. Done. Perfect double corona. :D

Isn't that, technically, a triple-double corona?? :thinking::P 

Guest Nekhyludov
9 minutes ago, PapaDisco said:

Isn't that, technically, a triple-double corona?? :thinking::P 

Mmmm ... Punch Triple-Double Corona  :hungry:

:lol:

1 hour ago, Colt45 said:

I think this is the crux of the matter. Even if it shows nice complexity with little evolution, with two plus hours invested, any cigar might become tedious if it is the focal point.

Yep, well said. 

In a strange way it really highlights the use/importance of high quality small cigars like Cohiba shorts.   It's feels slightly wasteful to burn through three petit coronas if your looking for a long varied smoke. But if all the Marcas could put out a version of the COSHO, it would be an absolute delight.  It would also be a great entrance point for many budding enthusiasts. 

28 minutes ago, 99call said:

In a strange way it really highlights the use/importance of high quality small cigars.... It's feels slightly wasteful to burn through three petit coronas if your looking for a long varied smoke.

Yes. I hope I can properly articulate my thoughts... I'm also not the biggest fan of DCs, yet love the Churchill format, so go figure. I've always enjoyed the Hoyo DC, but smoking alone, where it is the "main event", I might find myself waiting for it to be finished, as much as I do like it.

Take that same cigar, smoked in a different scenario - with friends at a party, at the lounge, watching a sporting event, etc, it might just be less of a consideration - it's secondary / complimentary  - not the focal point.

5 hours ago, GotaCohiba said:

Esplendido/Sir Winston/Esplendido 

Esplendido/Sir Winston/Lusi 

That reminds me that there was a Cohiba Double Corona Limited Edition released in 2003. Good luck trying to source one of those!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

That reminds me that there was a Cohiba Double Corona Limited Edition released in 2003. Good luck trying to source one of those!

John what if I told you I've got two of those sitting in my humidor? ????

Smoked two with my brother about a year ago. These two will be thoroughly enjoyed.

Cheers

20180504_003025.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ElJavi76 said:

John what if I told you I've got two of those sitting in my humidor? ????

Smoked two with my brother about a year ago. These two will be thoroughly enjoyed.

Cheers

20180504_003025.jpg

That's awesome Javi. Well done to you both...they're great cigars to celebrate with!

• Like 1