Recommendations 4 A Newb

I’m definitely not new to cigars, but am new at Cuban cigars. What I have tried thus far are Monti 2, PSD4, Cohiba Short/Siglo 2/Robusto/Siglo IV/Genios, RA Club, HOYO Double Carona.... I’m definitely leaving some out, but anyways, today I smoked my first RASS from a box of 50 I just received from our host. Not only is it my favorite CC, it might be my all time favorite smoke. That creamy nugget taste remains long after cigar is gone. I am haunted by that taste.

It’s way too early for me to settle down with one cigar and so I’m wondering what else is in this cigars wheelhouse? Any I should seek out with a similar’ish profile?

d387f0532f5c7fb652879e6d4ead4209.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Enjoy the ride but keep in mind, unless you have let it rest for 90 days, you haven't tasted a RASS as yet  That goes for all of them.  If you enjoy a RASS, then look for some great value cigars with flavour in spades. partagas Serie E2/ Juan Lopez Seleccion 2/Punch Punch 

I’ll have to order a few more boxes to age, but these, I’m happy Smoking now. Everything I’ve bought thus far requires aging, but i needed at least one to smoke now ☹️ these are so good I can’t imagine what better tastes like.

I’ll absolutely try those suggestions. Much Thanks!

The Pres is not necessarily talking about aging, as much as he is talking about allowing things to settle down in your environment for a couple three months.  RASS in particular can be all over the board til they reach steady state.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, liquid360 said:

I’m definitely not new to cigars, but am new at Cuban cigars. What I have tried thus far are Monti 2, PSD4, Cohiba Short/Siglo 2/Robusto/Siglo IV/Genios, RA Club, HOYO Double Carona.... I’m definitely leaving some out, but anyways, today I smoked my first RASS from a box of 50 I just received from our host. Not only is it my favorite CC, it might be my all time favorite smoke. That creamy nugget taste remains long after cigar is gone. I am haunted by that taste.

It’s way too early for me to settle down with one cigar and so I’m wondering what else is in this cigars wheelhouse? Any I should seek out with a similar’ish profile?

d387f0532f5c7fb652879e6d4ead4209.jpg

Yes - Por Larrañaga. I'm more partial to the Monte Carlos, but the PC is a winner as well. I was once just like you - started trying different things and RASS struck me quickly as the best of the best. Perhaps it was the perfect mix of elegant and rustic, or perhaps it was the amazing 2007-2009 vintages, but RASS maintained its spot as my favorite cigar above all others until I went through my first box of PLMC. Now, RASS is in second place and, likely, there to stay.

• Like 1

Yes - Por Larrañaga. I'm more partial to the Monte Carlos, but the PC is a winner as well. I was once just like you - started trying different things and RASS struck me quickly as the best of the best. Perhaps it was the perfect mix of elegant and rustic, or perhaps it was the amazing 2007-2009 vintages, but RASS maintained its spot as my favorite cigar above all others until I went through my first box of PLMC. Now, RASS is in second place and, likely, there to stay.

I have 14 Padron Millenniums I’ve kept since buying them in 1999 along with a bunch OpusX bought at same time. I actually enjoyed the first RASS more than either the Padron and the Opus. That’s CRAZY!!
ef78ba8dd068b51352e8d4c54cc729e6.jpg4b9d334903922926355bf7b310a7d6d0.jpg

I have 14 Padron Millenniums I’ve kept since buying them in 1999 along with a bunch OpusX bought at same time. I actually enjoyed the first RASS more than either the Padron and the Opus. That’s CRAZY!!
ef78ba8dd068b51352e8d4c54cc729e6.jpg4b9d334903922926355bf7b310a7d6d0.jpg

Interesting. Very different flavor profiles.
Just be prepared to buy a lot of cigars....a lot.

This hobby is a bit addictive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Don’t button hole your self after 10 or 12 Cuban cigars. There are loads of cigars out there and it is hard to know what suits until you smoke a few of them. And, the flavors evolve over time with Cuban’s. Sometimes a lot. Take it easy on that cab of RASS and enjoy the ride.  

• Like 1

Don’t button hole your self after 10 or 12 Cuban cigars. There are loads of cigars out there and it is hard to know what suits until you smoke a few of them. And, the flavors evolve over time with Cuban’s. Sometimes a lot. Take it easy on that cab of RASS and enjoy the ride.  

I’m not. This is why I asked for suggestions. I know it’s too early to stop exploring. I’ve bought a box of each of Cohiba Robusto, Siglo II, piramides, Genios, Siglo V, Secretos, BBF, and two boxes of the. RA clubs. Only the Robustos have arrived, rest is all in transit. I’ll likely continue to order a box or two per week. I tend to explore by brand as you can see. Montecristo is next.

Wow, those are some full bodied NC bombs you have there. I'd say sell one of those of the Millennium Padrons and get yourself a box of R&J Churchills. They have some of that RASS fruity familiarity to them. R&J Cazadores also is another one to consider if you're used to those  full bodied bombs. Wouldn't hurt to try a Bolivar either. Not sure if they can compare to an opus power ranger though. The last time I had one I was spinning.

After smoking Cubans for a few years, I think my palate became softer.  I find it harder to go back to some of the full bodied NCs I have lying in my humidor: Padron 64s/26, Fuente Anejo/Opus, I may pull out 1 after every 7 or 8 cubans. They sort of just sit there until I want to change things up a bit. Usually after getting a little annoyed with the CC construction issues or looking for a spice bomb.

• Like 1

I’ll have to order a few more boxes to age, but these, I’m happy Smoking now. Everything I’ve bought thus far requires aging, but i needed at least one to smoke now ☹️ these are so good I can’t imagine what better tastes like.
I’ll absolutely try those suggestions. Much Thanks!

My friend if you like those RASS the way they are now, then SMOKE THEM! RASS, to me, and a lot of others are way better with age, but if you like the way they smoke now—go ahead, enjoy yourself. Smoke the whole box. No one can tell you when you will like a cigar. Experience tells me sometimes I don’t like certain cigars as much after they age. CCE and Siglo 2 I enjoy fresh, not as much with age. PLPC, CORO and Connie 1 are quite the opposite. Don’t touch for 4 years. You’re a pipe smoker I know—so I know you’ve smoked pipe tobacco which is better fresh than aged. Same thing here. Just my 2 lousy cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I made that mistake a month ago. Only rested a PSP box for 30 days and it wasn't close to being ready to smoke. Bummed that i took one out of the box and wasted it for no reason. You live in you learn I guess.

Enjoy the ride but keep in mind, unless you have let it rest for 90 days, you haven't tasted a RASS as yet  That goes for all of them. 
If you enjoy a RASS, then look for some great value cigars with flavour in spades. partagas Serie E2/ Juan Lopez Seleccion 2/Punch Punch 

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When you have two hours of distraction free time, smoke a Lusitanias with at least 2+ years on it.  It will change your life.  Also Upmann #2 and JL2 are almost always fantastic.

How did you know I needed my life changed?!?!