Bill S-5, aka Plain Packaging law, passes in Canadian Parliament

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-plain-packaging-vaping-law-1.4662112

All media are portraying this as cigarette plain packaging, but the bill quite specifically names tobacco products. I can see nothing that exempts cigars or pipe tobacco, so the end result will be devastating to the tobacconists in Canada (which I am one of).

• Sad 2

So sorry to hear mate.  Ireland also goes plain packaging this year.

Canada may just be the catalyst to HSA considering new strategies for PP (bundles, bandless, simple ribbons etal). 

• Like 1

Just absolutely ridiculous!  Simply cannot believe the incompetence our current government has exhibited across numerous fronts with this being just the latest example. The fact that the vast majority of people have no issue with these restrictions being placed on their rights and free will is simply astonishing.  The expansion of the nanny state truly knows no bounds.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jimmy_jack said:

I’m not gonna lie...I enjoy a band less look. However I always considered CC to have a classic timeless look, certainly not to attract children. Non Cuban...well they can be downright gaudy.

I've always found the LGC and HDM DC bands in particular to be timeless, classy, and just downright beautiful.

• Like 1

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-plain-packaging-vaping-law-1.4662112
All media are portraying this as cigarette plain packaging, but the bill quite specifically names tobacco products. I can see nothing that exempts cigars or pipe tobacco, so the end result will be devastating to the tobacconists in Canada (which I am one of).

Will this actually affect the bands? Or just the outer packaging on the boxes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

It affects everything. Bands, ribbons, boxes. 

I feel for the members affected. I feel for the retailers even more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm really annoyed with my new country but it doesn't surprise me. The fact that booze can only be sold in Ontario by a state run monopoly.

The reason I started smoking cigarettes aged 14 was nothing to do with advertising, or pretty packaging. The sole reason was Helen Cabble!!

Two articles about Canada.

Alcohol: http://www.ottawalife.com/article/lcbo-monopoly

General: 

http://business.financialpost.com/opinion/philip-cross-toronto-has-become-a-monolithic-suffocating-liberal-swamp

• Thanks 1

People are too stupid to realize for themselves that tobacco products have negative consequences to our health, so the Gov't steps in. Welcome to Nanny state Canada where the great and glorious Gov't tells us what to do and how to think. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long to pass through and get approved. Really getting tired of all these rules Canada and I am not alone....

• Thanks 1

I understand about the restrictions of tobacco retail and cigarettes, but in the same time going retail with weed, give me a break.

Free world and peace to all,  but getting a stoned kid to do his homework is a much bigger problem than packaging.

Cheers,

CB

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, shlomo said:

People are too stupid to realize for themselves that tobacco products have negative consequences to our health, so the Gov't steps in. Welcome to Nanny state Canada where the great and glorious Gov't tells us what to do and how to think. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long to pass through and get approved. Really getting tired of all these rules Canada and I am not alone....

Yup. I remember going online to provide feedback on the matter a while back. I'd like to see the results of that feedback. I'm betting if it was 51% to > 75% it would have made no difference. They are just going to do what they want to do.  What it comes down to is the few making policy for the many regardless of their feedback.  And the lumping of cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco into one category of "tobacco" is misleading and unscientific at best.  Cigarettes are not equal to cigars and pipe tobacco in terms of content.  It's like comparing an apple to an apple flavoured Jolly Rancher candy.  Completely different make up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

Yup. I remember going online to provide feedback on the matter a while back. I'd like to see the results of that feedback. I'm betting if it was 51% to > 75% it would have made no difference. They are just going to do what they want to do.  What it comes down to is the few making policy for the many regardless of their feedback.  And the lumping of cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco into one category of "tobacco" is misleading and unscientific at best.  Cigarettes are not equal to cigars and pipe tobacco in terms of content.  It's like comparing an apple to an apple flavoured Jolly Rancher candy.  Completely different make up. 

As per our conversation the other Monday.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hedgeybaby said:

As per our conversation the other Monday.

Yes.  A conversation many of us have had over the past few years.  Sadly, pro-marijuana activism far surpasses that of pro-tobacco.  One is very much still illegal, yet users will congregate to hold 420's in public spaces as a form of protest.  Cigar smokers wouldn't get away with that and TBH, many just don't have the time or inclination to voice their opinions publicly.  Any politician who smokes dares not get behind tobacco either.  Tobacco has filled tax coffers here for over 100 years.  MJ has not, but is the new tax darling provincially and federally.  Governments just cant wait to get a hold of that windfall, public health be damned.  And there will be health and societal fallout to this.  Cigarettes are the real enemy IMO, but the distinction doesn't matter.  Even Statistics Canada skews the data on tobacco related illnesses and death. Obese, diabetic and smoke the odd cigarette?  Your cause of death will be tobacco. /rant off.

• Like 2

Thankfully when the UK ratified its own plain packet regulation in 2017 cigars were specifically exempts, though the delightfully 'knee-jerk' picture got slightly larger. Unlike with cigarettes, i find the branded box/band/ribbon to be a real artistic treasure with cigars.

My thoughts go out to all of the Canadians - whilst secretly worrying how long it takes for such extreme measure to be rolled out everywhere - we all know the UK doesn't like to be out 'nanny'ed' !! :angry:

• Like 1

Also - cigar smokers are a distrustful, anal, paranoid lot at the best of times (hello Anejados theorists :ph34r:), so God alone knows what they're going to be declaring is in their boxes if all of the cigars are unbranded...conspiracy theorist galore! :surprised:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, havanaclub said:

They've modeled it after the Australian implementation so we're expecting plain boxes and bands.

13 hours ago, El Presidente said:

It affects everything. Bands, ribbons, boxes. 

I feel for the members affected. I feel for the retailers even more. 

We have 18 stores across Alberta. I've been talking about it for 2 years but I don't think it's sunk in yet for any of our owners.

They've modeled it after the Australian implementation so we're expecting plain boxes and bands.

If that’s the case in Oz, then why are Aussie’s posting cigars from Rob that have clean boxes and bands without plain packaging?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

If that’s the case in Oz, then why are Aussie’s posting cigars from Rob that have clean boxes and bands without plain packaging?

Sticky ground... :unsure:

Lets just say they're aged stock, pre-hypocrisy era... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, canadianbeaver said:

Free world and peace to all,  but getting a stoned kid to do his homework is a much bigger problem than packaging.

True CB, but try getting a 14-y old, indulged in a delish Punch DC, do his homework - that's even impossible... :cigar:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Weaponiz'd1 said:

Being an import doesn't relieve them of the requirements in country manufacturers must abide by?

we should leave it at that before mods step in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Aussies can purchase some stock using the offshore JV. They are shipped from HK.  It is legal for Australians to purchase offshore non plain packaged. 

95 % of box buyers in this country now purchase their boxes offshore.  Retailers sell ties and accessories to survive. 

Best to leave it there before this loophole for Aussie buyers is closed as well. 

• Like 2