Bill S-5, aka Plain Packaging law, passes in Canadian Parliament

Aussies can purchase some stock using the offshore JV. They are shipped from HK.  It is legal for Australians to purchase offshore non plain packaged. 
95 % of box buyers in this country now purchase their boxes offshore.  Retailers sell ties and accessories to survive. 
Best to leave it there before this loophole for Aussie buyers is closed as well. 

Man that’s too bad for the local retailers. Looks like our country of Canada will soon have the same issue. I am one of the 95percent that buy my CC on the island when visiting or online and especially from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My previous message violated a forum rule I had forgotten about.  Apologies for that.

Either way, I think this is a horrible idea for Canadians, for all the reasons already given.  This will really hurt retailers.  I can't think of anyone who spends the outrageous amounts we do for cigars in this country because of any packaging!

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

My previous message violated a forum rule I had forgotten about.  Apologies for that.

No problem. 

After Canada it will be 1/2 the EU, then all. Even the UK exemption won't last forever.  Asia will run down the same road. 

Solutions? Almost none.  The only one I have thought of is to go retro.  

For Canadians with locker stock, it would be worthwhile checking to see if you will be able to import non plain packaged stock on a personal basis.  In Oz you can (at this time).  Check the legislation. If you can, no problem. if you can't then you should repatriate your stock home now or sell it. 

22 minutes ago, El Presidente said:
For Canadians with locker stock, it would be worthwhile checking to see if you will be able to import non plain packaged stock on a personal basis.  In Oz you can (at this time).  Check the legislation. If you can, no problem. if you can't then you should repatriate your stock home now or sell it. 

What about when we buy overseas?

Is there anyone versed enough in the law who can verify if this applies to cigars or not?

All I can find are mentions of additives not allowed in cigars and a bunch of stuff on "little cigars".

Of course, since this bill proposes amendments to a current act, I'd also have to read the current one, which I haven't gotten around to.

I fear that if they have to eliminate box and band branding, this will help all the unscrupulous people selling fakes. The box features and bands are a major part of detecting counterfeits.

Sad to see that good old precious classy Cuban packagings are now covered with foolish looking plain black cardboard packaging as well as cigar band in Canada...

By the way, in Korea its anti tobacco policy is almost same as America. For example, we are not allowed to smoke cigars indoor (include most of cigar bars which is surprising) and outdoor, etc. Only two differences are showing smoking any tobacco product on TV is absolutely restricted (censored if it exists), selling cigars on online is prohibited. This is getting worse and worse as time goes by due to more restrictions unfortunately.

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

Sad to see that good old precious classy Cuban packagings are now covered with foolish looking plain black cardboard packaging as well as cigar band in Canada...

By the way, in Korea its anti tobacco policy is almost same as America. For example, we are not allowed to smoke cigars indoor (include most of cigar bars which is surprising) and outdoor, selling cigars on online is prohibited, etc. Only one difference is showing smoking any tobacco product on TV is absolutely restricted (censored if it exists). This is getting worse and worse as time goes by due to more restrictions unfortunately.

Depends on the state - in my home state California, we can still smoke indoors at lounges - for now.
  • Like 1

Depends on the state - in my home state California, we can still smoke indoors at lounges - for now.

Agreed but I found some similarities between Korean anti smoking policy and American's (forgot to add it depends on states) IMHO. There are some places like Pierre that allow to smoke cigars indoor in Korea though (rare and difficult to find).

What is your opinion about US anti tobacco policy against cigars (as well as view of people about cigars)?

Agreed but I found some similarities between Korean anti smoking policy and American's (forgot to add it depends on states) IMHO. There are some places like Pierre that allow to smoke cigars indoor in Korea though (rare and difficult to find). 
What is your opinion about US anti tobacco policy against cigars (as well as view of people about cigars)?

I would say people that generally don't like tobacco don't like cigars even more. It appears to me that cigars are gaining a stronger following with the younger generation. I'm 28, and just graduated college. There was a cigar club, and every year I was there the numbers doubled.

Every state is different, most have a rule that says any space that serves food can not allow smoking of any kind. The loophole there is to build a separate HVAC system for the smoking lounge area. There are lots of cigars lounges in the states, I've never had an issue finding one when traveling.

I'm in a tobacco shop right now, enjoying a smoke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I would say people that generally don't like tobacco don't like cigars even more. It appears to me that cigars are gaining a stronger following with the younger generation. I'm 28, and just graduated college. There was a cigar club, and every year I was there the numbers doubled.  Every state is different, most have a rule that says any space that serves food can not allow smoking of any kind. The loophole there is to build a separate HVAC system for the smoking lounge area. There are lots of cigars lounges in the states, I've never had an issue finding one when traveling.  I'm in a tobacco shop right now, enjoying a smoke.  Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Got it. Number of cigar smokers is slowly increasing (Elie Bleu is officially imported nowadays) in Korea though (mostly in Seoul).

For indoor smoking at cigar bars in Korea with more details, the owners of bars/lounges must register their business as entertaiment establishment not normal restaurant (but most of them choose not to do so since they have to pay more taxes if they register their business as entertainment establishment) for acquring indoor smoking permit from government according to Korean law.

17 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Solutions? Almost none.  The only one I have thought of is to go retro.  

While I enjoy the pageantry of cigar bands and will miss them, I also won't mind the bandless, old school look.  It's more of a hard-core aficionado look anyway.  Heck, you never saw Winston smokin' a R&J with a band on it! :cigar: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PapaDisco said:

While I enjoy the pageantry of cigar bands and will miss them, I also won't mind the bandless, old school look.  It's more of a hard-core aficionado look anyway.  Heck, you never saw Winston smokin' a R&J with a band on it! :cigar: 

I take the band off before I even light up, usually (unless it requires a bit of heat to loosen up).  But I still like them to help identify potential fakes...And there are a *lot* of fakes out there.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Man that’s too bad for the local retailers. Looks like our country of Canada will soon have the same issue. I am one of the 95percent that buy my CC on the island when visiting or online and especially from you. emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assure you local retailers already have major issues. 70% of cigars smoked are ordered either from the US, brought in from abroad, or ordered abroad. 

Adding plain packaging to the mix will be the death knell of quite a number of retailers.

15 hours ago, PhilB said:

Is there anyone versed enough in the law who can verify if this applies to cigars or not?

It does. They specified tobacco products with no exemptions. So it applies to pipe tobacco, and cigars. The real question is how tobacconists are expected to comply with existing inventory levels, because they're not going to be able to afford to pay for the packaging themselves.

20 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Import? No.  You can bring in your duty free allotment with 48 hours travel (which all cigar smokers tend to do) but there are no import freebies.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:55 AM, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Wow that sucks!  Some of my finest memories were smoking Cubans at the intercontinental coex in Gangnam backin 2004.  That was a fantastic cigar shop and an even better bar!

Wow that sucks!  Some of my finest memories were smoking Cubans at the intercontinental coex in Gangnam backin 2004.  That was a fantastic cigar shop and an even better bar!

Yup, It is just getting worse and worse with more regulations! I am not surprised if plain packaking bill (includes cigars and pipes) would be passed in Korea like Cananda and Australia in near future.