Things I don’t understand... how people have cigar ‘rotations’. I don’t think in the decade-ish I’ve been smoking cigars I’ve had a set rotation of smokes. 

I’m not the most organized but seems like it would kill the fun a bit. Would love to know the amount of people who have a set run of what they smoke vs spontaneous selection. 

4 minutes ago, Weaponiz'd1 said:

I pull about 12 different sticks so I have a choice, early on, at least.

I can understand that, it’s just deciding on a specific smoke on a specific day which seems weird to me.

Out of interest do you keep your large humidor and desktop at significantly different RH or is it a ease of access thing? I’m yet to experiment much with dry boxing, I keep my fridge at 65% and it works for me.

• Like 1

Things I don’t understand... how people have cigar ‘rotations’. I don’t think in the decade-ish I’ve been smoking cigars I’ve had a set rotation of smokes. 
I’m not the most organized but seems like it would kill the fun a bit. Would love to know the amount of people who have a set run of what they smoke vs spontaneous selection. 

I could be wrong, but I never understood “rotation” in a rigid way. Rather, I felt it was a way of stating what cigars you keep going back to on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PrairieSmoke said:

I could be wrong, but I never understood “rotation” in a rigid way. Rather, I felt it was a way of stating what cigars you keep going back to on a regular basis.

I agree. I think of it as choosing from the pool of what I have on hand that I like and is ready to smoke.

• Like 1

it’s just deciding on a specific smoke on a specific day which seems weird to me.

Does anyone actually do that? I think of having a rotation as a supply that you always have on hand while others come and go.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thig said:

Does anyone actually do that? I think of having a rotation as a supply that you always have on hand while others come and go.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just my incorrect interpretation of the term rotation. By definition does it not suggest a repeating order? i.e. cigar ABCD ABCD

Not a set rotation per se, but I usually have 3-4 boxes at any given time that are smoking great, so I tend to smoke more from that group than others. But size befitting the time I have available is also a factor, I don’t like starting a cigar I know I can’t finish.

• Like 2

No such thing as a “rotation” for me.

I stand in front of my humidor/cooler/cabinet and pick the first thing that tickles my fancy at that particular time. Usually, something that’s easy to reach :lookaround: or something I haven’t had in a while.

Sometimes I pick out verticals of certain Marcas but I usually get distracted after a few sticks and resort to the above.

• Thanks 1

I dont have a rotation per se but I do have a tupperdore I keep at 58% and any cigars that I’m going to smoke in the next month or so I keep in there. Anything I’m aging stays at 65%. This is in my basement so the temps run between 55 in the winter and 65 or so in the summer. 

I usually know who’s going to pitch on what day. But still have to take into account doubleheader’s and rain delays. That’s  why it’s also good to keep a quality reserve of Petite Coronas in relief to help get you through those tough stretches. They’re the real workhorses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, luckme10 said:

I usually know who’s going to pitch on what day. But still have to take into account doubleheader’s and rain delays. That’s  why it’s also good to keep a quality reserve of Petite Coronas in relief to help get you through those tough innings. They’re the real workhorses.

Not the way I roll, but I dig your rationale!! 

I am probably the most rotational person out there.  I have major OCD.  I have around 110 boxes at the moment.  All are loaded into excel by size and date.  How much I paid, where I got it from, etc . . .I know exactly the cigar I'll be smoking all the way until 2024.  I have 14 main cigars that I smoke every year with one "wild box" that changes from year to year.    Every box is labeled and placed into the humidor based on the year I'll be smoking.  Every January 1st I pull out the 14 boxes and move the cigars into my smoking humidor.  Every tray is carefully labeled and I track my progress through out the year.

OCD is a bitch.  Most of my life falls under the same goofy rules. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I am probably the most rotational person out there.  I have major OCD. 

Wow, just wow. I am pretty anal about knowing what I have, where I got it, what I paid, etc. But beyond that it's just smoke whatever I feel like.

No rotation for me. I fill my small traveldor with the day’s smokes, either in the morning or the night before. I just grab whatever i feel like in the moment. 

I am finding, however, that there are certain cigars i want to have regularly. Brc/bcj, qdoc, scdlh principe, rg perlas, chicos. I’m probably going to start, at some point, focusing my purchasing on maintaining a deep supply of each of those. I definitely wouldn’t mind smoking one of each every day, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

I am probably the most rotational person out there.  I have major OCD.  I have around 110 boxes at the moment.  All are loaded into excel by size and date.  How much I paid, where I got it from, etc . . .I know exactly the cigar I'll be smoking all the way until 2024.  I have 14 main cigars that I smoke every year with one "wild box" that changes from year to year.    Every box is labeled and placed into the humidor based on the year I'll be smoking.  Every January 1st I pull out the 14 boxes and move the cigars into my smoking humidor.  Every tray is carefully labeled and I track my progress through out the year.

Nice work! Maybe you could fly out to Hawaii with your label maker and help me out! I probably have at least a hundred boxes but storage location etc is an unknown to me. I love the digging and remembering where I got it or the last time I had a certain cigar. For me the spontaneity is most of the fun.

• Like 2

If only I could just walk in a pick a random cigar.  Mind you, I can select randomly from any one of the 14 boxes.  I probably would have a panic attack if I closed me eye, pointed and just smoked a random cigar.

It goes well beyond cigar.  Coke for example.  It went on sale due to the holiday.  I calculated how many cans a month I will drink (5) and then figure how many I will drink before the expiration date. Then I bought that many.  I will make sure to stick to that schedule.   The other day I got side tracked going down the stairs and I got on uneven steps.  So I had to go back to the top and walk down properly.  

It is hell inside my head. 

11 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Things I don’t understand... how people have cigar ‘rotations’.

10 hours ago, PrairieSmoke said:

I could be wrong, but I never understood “rotation” in a rigid way

I've pretty much always just considered it another cigar term. I think of it as variety of cigars currently smoked on a fairly regular basis. I've never really thought of it as "this cigar on Monday, this cigar on Tuesday", etc...

I do not put certain cigars in the “on deck circle” for a planned rotation. I pick cigars based on the moment - time, weather, what’s smoking good or not good, mood, testing progress, etc. But, I do have cigars I always want to have on hand: Party 898, Party Shorts cab, Party Presidente, RASS, H Upmann Connie 1, SCdLH El Principe, Punch Punch. That is my “rotation”

5 hours ago, Monterey said:

2 Questions. 

How do you know you will be alive and still smoking cigars in 2024? (No ill will meant).

If you are married, how does your wife handle your OCD regimen? Cheers!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NYgarman said:

2 Questions. 

How do you know you will be alive and still smoking cigars in 2024? (No ill will meant).

If you are married, how does your wife handle your OCD regimen? Cheers!

OCD people are very clean and organized.  Good things for a marriage.  Good things for employment.

Probably won't die by 2024, however, I will at some point die with a large collection.  I have a feeling many people here will be dying with a large collection.  My death just comes with instructions on what to smoke for the next guy :)

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Monterey said:

OCD people are very clean and organized.  Good things for a marriage.  Good things for employment.

Probably won't die by 2024, however, I will at some point die with a large collection.  I have a feeling many people here will be dying with a large collection.  My death just comes with instructions on what to smoke for the next guy :)

I am similar to the effect I like a clean, organized house, garage, vehicles. I have a hard time with chaos. When life is smooth sailing, I do better than when there is turmoil and drama. But for some OCD can be a detriment to quality of life and for loved ones in the house. I don't take things that far. But trying to get my 12 year old daughter to clean up behind herself and start bearing some of the responsibility in the household is challenging at best. As far as cigars, at 40+ boxes I most likely have enough to last several years. Have slowed down my box buying and just enjoying what I have in the end table cabinet. 

My rotation rationale:

What do I feel like smoking?  Like many here, I have many different marcas and many different cigars in the marcas.  A lot of what I choose to smoke is influenced by how much time I have.  If time is not an issue I’ll gravitate towards Upmann #2, RASS, JL#2.  Many have been neglected which one can translate to aging.  I’ve another wine fridge that I strictly age which I never touch.  Those are the Winstons, BCG, Parti Lusis as well as my fave longer smokes.  They’re generally born on dates of greater than a decade.  Those are definitely not in the rotation.  One day they will be though.

I have two modes; random and routine. Today routine means I go to get a Partagas Chicos, and random means I end up smoking something else.

I spend most of my day going around in circles. There is no need to carry any circular pattern (other than air movement in a humidor) into the cigar world.

-the Pig

• Like 3
  • Haha 1