USA / customs limits

pdxcigarguy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great information here.  If I brought back 25 boxes, it wouldn't be customs I'd have to worry about, but my wife. lol 

He took a picture of his cigars being confiscated.

I think it all depends on who you get at customs. Of course, I bet if the customs agent sees that you’re going to Cuba once a month and you’re bringing back 800+ sticks, they will likely be suspicious

5 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

If I have to pay duties on 25 boxes, I am thinking about bringing an empty suitcase with me and filling that up as well. Might as well get my monies worth

I took an extra suitcase. My duty was $190.00.

On 5/28/2018 at 7:49 PM, JY0 said:

Just got home. We had an amazing trip, our first but definitely not our last. I claimed the truth, 3 liters of rum, 25 boxes and 3 bundles of customs. The agent was shocked and we went back and forth a few times with me reassuring him that yes, I said and meant 25. They pulled me into a back room with my 3 suitcases and had us sit down. It was my wife, me and 2 uniformed agents. I think he was just testing me. 

"These are for commercial use, right'? No sir, I smoke a lot of cigars, had a big humidor and this was my first and probably last opportunity to bring these cigars in legally. I know the law and honestly disclosed what I was bringing in. He told me to go sit down. He called a supervisor and had a short conversation. I was too far away and couldn't hear anything. He came over and asked me who told me that I could bring this amount of cigars in. I told him that I did my homework, had all the receipts and the rules are published on their website. 

While we were sitting there I pulled out my phone to look at me email. He told me that we were currently being detained in a federal facility and cell phone use was not allowed. That 'detained' word alarmed me a bit. 

He supervisor called him back. He hung up and came over with a big smile and said, "We are going to let you bring all of these in but you will have to pay duty.". I told I was aware of the rules and fully expected to pay the duty. He said that he is a cigar smoker and asked if I had a picture of my humidor. I told him I did not. 

At that point he took my into an office and prepared a bill for $190.00.

He never looked in my bags or asked to see any cigars. He ignored the bundles and the rum completely. After I paid he told me there is a lot of confusion about the rules out there. I kept my mouth shut. 

The takeaway: At least at the Miami ship port you can bring in 100 boxed cigars per person duty free. If they feel like it they will charge you 4% on anything above that.

Damn at least I’m glad you got to bring everything home. I think they have some clause where there is a lot up to the discretion of the agents. I usually visit distilleries in Scotland and Mexico and bring back 5+ liters of alcohol and it usually depends on the specific agent. Some of them just wave me through, some of them send me to secondary inspection and open everything up to look at the bottles and then let me go. Never brought in a large quantity of cigars though cause I burn through my supply slowly.

• 7 months later...

When I came back through the port of Miami on Jan6 there was no declarations forms being used or questions asked. I made it home with 300 sticks (150+ custom) and could have brought home more than double that amount. Cuban customs didn’t ask either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I went thru cuban customs, they opened all of my bags and were counting how many non-boxed cigars I had.  As long as I had a fractura, they were happy.  Luckily I had split my customs among other people in my party.   They were really cracking down on customs.  This was on 1/11/2019

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 7:34 PM, Monterey said:

When I went thru cuban customs, they opened all of my bags and were counting how many non-boxed cigars I had.  As long as I had a fractura, they were happy.  Luckily I had split my customs among other people in my party.   They were really cracking down on customs.  This was on 1/11/2019

How many customs did you bring?

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my carry-on suitcase opened and checked when leaving Jose Marti Terminal 2, one time out of all the times I've been there. But I think it was because I had a loose bottle of rum in there, and they were looking for liquids over 3.5 oz. So they said. Then they saw 7 boxes of cigars and asked if they were for "all for you?" and I said yes, and showed them receipts and they were quick to zip up the suitcase and just take the $8 bottle of rum. Fine with me. I bought more in the duty free shop. BUT...the part I'm never sure about is what to tell the US customs people--I fly in and out of Newark when visiting Cuba.When they ask if I have alcohol or tobacco, I always say no, and they just say welcome home, and let me thru. I'd rather tell them what I have and be honest, and don't mind paying 4% duty over x amount, but I never want to spend the time, and don't want them to even consider taking anything away.

1 hour ago, DSegal said:

I have had my carry-on suitcase opened and checked when leaving Jose Marti Terminal 2, one time out of all the times I've been there. But I think it was because I had a loose bottle of rum in there, and they were looking for liquids over 3.5 oz. So they said. Then they saw 7 boxes of cigars and asked if they were for "all for you?" and I said yes, and showed them receipts and they were quick to zip up the suitcase and just take the $8 bottle of rum. Fine with me. I bought more in the duty free shop. BUT...the part I'm never sure about is what to tell the US customs people--I fly in and out of Newark when visiting Cuba.When they ask if I have alcohol or tobacco, I always say no, and they just say welcome home, and let me thru. I'd rather tell them what I have and be honest, and don't mind paying 4% duty over x amount, but I never want to spend the time, and don't want them to even consider taking anything away.

Oooooo good luck with that. I am always honest with Customs. I've never had to pay a duty for anything, brought from any country. Surprisingly.

A guy posted on another forum the other day about a case gone wrong.  He had 32 boxes.  They determined it was for commercial purposes and took all but 4 boxes.  They didn't even give him the option to pay the fee.  It was the Miami Florida airport.

25 minutes ago, Monterey said:

A guy posted on another forum the other day about a case gone wrong.  He had 32 boxes.  They determined it was for commercial purposes and took all but 4 boxes.  They didn't even give him the option to pay the fee.  It was the Miami Florida airport.

Flipper or non-flipper?

Maybe someone at CBP had a bad day...