AirBnB: Broncos 'n' Bellamy.

MoeFOH

Just hit the airwaves (I see an NRL notification on my mobile) that the Broncos are in discussions to bring Craig Bellamy on-board in 2020 to replace ol' John Wayne Bennett. Probably no great surprise, but I can't help but feel it's poorly timed and somewhat mismanaged to air this now. Interested to see what, if any, ripples or waves emerge from this as far as their season pans out, both Melbourne and Brisbane. 

I read that article last night and it was implying that the Broncos could be trying to get Bellamy from 2019. This would mean that Supercoach Bennett would be shown the door early in his contract (he's contracted until the end of 2019) for the first time in his coaching career. And, it's only because the Broncos currently consider Bellamy the best coach in the game that they would even consider getting rid of Bennett in such circumstances.

Oh, and welcome back home, Steve!

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

I read that article last night and it was implying that the Broncos could be trying to get Bellamy from 2019. This would mean that Supercoach Bennett would be shown the door early in his contract (he's contracted until the end of 2019) for the first time in his coaching career. And, it's only because the Broncos consider Bellamy the best coach in the game that they would even consider getting rid of Bennett in such circumstances.

Oh, and welcome back home, Steve!

I'm not-so-secretly pining for this to happen. Coaching achievements aside, I'm no fan of Wayne Bennett, and I think it'd be a much needed changing of the tide to see Bellamy move on from the Storm. I'd prefer he went elsewhere, but you can't have everything. I wonder what Kev Walters is feeling right now--is he not the heir apparent?

And thanks, John. Nice to be back! 

Craig Bellamy would have to wait until at least 2020 if he wanted to coach the Brisbane Broncos, with Wayne Bennett ruling out ending his tenure a year early if it meant luring the Storm mastercoach to Red Hill.

image.png.d361d3a8fba6aec3aaae68c5475534fe.png

"I don’t want it unfolding without me having some control, some part of it. I spent 25 years of my life here": Wayne Bennett.

Photo: AAP

Brisbane went on the front foot on Wednesday morning to address reports that management had tried to recruit Bellamy behind Bennett's back. Broncos chief executive Paul White said Bennett not only knew of the plan but planted the seed.

Bennett said he wasn't aware of a specific meeting between Broncos officials and Bellamy four days ago, but didn't believe the club was planning to show him the door one year before the end of his current deal.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett says they have a good team and will do well even if they part ways with the veteran coach.

"It’s part of a conversation I had a month ago which I organised with the chairman (Karl Morris) and Paul White. We talked about our future going forward as a club. It was all part of the discussion," Bennett said.

"I told Paul one of his responsibilities was to get the best coach he could for this club. I initiated it mate. You have to be honest in life. I don’t want it unfolding without me having some control, some part of it. I spent 25 years of my life here."

White went on to guarantee Bennett's tenure for 2019, although whether he remains at the club beyond that depends on available coaches and perhaps Bennett's motivation and health. He will be 69 on January 1.

image.png.921200c899f9fc81d4e6bbccc8e7356e.png

Wanted man: Brisbane have confirmed plans to have Craig Bellamy succeed Wayne Bennett.

"We have a coach for 2019. We’re not sitting here today saying who is coaching the Broncos in 2019. That’s Wayne Bennett... I want to be totally clear about that. And take all the noise out of that argument," White said.

"We will keep working collectively, that’s everyone within the organisation but particularly Wayne and myself, about what happens beyond 2019."

In that case, if Bellamy were to take up one of the genuine blue-chip coaching roles in the game, he would have to find a club willing to take him on a one-year deal or become an observer for 12 months.

Bennett ruled out any co-coaching arrangement, although the Broncos are perhaps the only club that could bankroll that arrangement between the two highest-paid mentors in the code.

image.png.da92b2fcf6cdf50eaff87692b01bd659.png

No chance of one year reunion: Bennett and Bellamy will not join forces in 2019.

Photo: Colin Whelan

"That’s not going to happen. That’s just not going to happen," Bennett replied when asked if he could work alongside Bellamy for a year.

"Craig has come off contract. He’d have to sit out a year. No club would sign him for one year."

But he did say he would help smoothe out any transition should Bellamy sign for 2020 and beyond, while revealing he has already fielded calls from rival NRL clubs to coach after the expiration of his current deal. He ruled out any move to England despite coaching their national side.

He also backed Bellamy as a worthy candidate to take control at Brisbane.

image.png.8391f753fd68554660ed8dcc5ea335a4.png

In the dark: Bennett was not aware of CEO Paul White, left, meeting with Bellamy.

"He’s one of the top coaches in the game. It’s a huge club here. You need a coach with the best profile you can get and the best coaching ability. (Current assistant) Jason (Demetriou) is good and Kevin Walters could do the job down the track.

Bennett said he believed White had acted ethically despite not informing him of the meeting, which was between White, Bellamy and a Broncos director in Melbourne.

"I was aware that they were going to talk to him. I wasn’t aware they had. I would have liked to have known. We’re all busy people. A third-party told me about it," Bennett said.

"My priority are these players. It would have been nice to know but it’s no big deal. It happens sometimes. I don’t think he did it deliberately."

Insiders are suggesting Bellamy will take the current deal being offered by the Storm and the timing now presents as the main issue for the Broncos, who would be far more bullish if Bennett was finishing at the end of this season.

White dismissed reports that an offer had already been tabled to Bellamy.

"Melbourne have put an offer in for Craig. It wasn’t immediately accepted. We knew he was on the market. Wayne and I had a chat and he strongly recommend I pick up the phone and I did that," White said.

"Where that has landed us is that Craig is not in any position and he’s considering Melbourne’s offer. We’re not in negotiations. That just speaks for itself."

Bennett said he had not decided whether to ask for an extension beyond this season but didn't rule out coaching other clubs if the desire remained.

Curiously, both Bennett and Bellamy are due to speak at a lunch in Toowoomba next Friday. Caterers at Clifford Park can expect a few more attendees than they had previously guessed.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wayne-bennett-won-t-leave-early-to-bring-craig-bellamy-to-brisbane-20180523-p4zgyf.html

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 4:10 PM, JohnS said:

Craig Bellamy would have to wait until at least 2020 if he wanted to coach the Brisbane Broncos, with Wayne Bennett ruling out ending his tenure a year early if it meant luring the Storm mastercoach to Red Hill.

interesting to see how little support bennett getting from some former stars. lazarus and tallis both not 'overly supportive'. seems the feeling is that bennett was absolutely cut-throat when it came to others and now he is getting a little karma. still an exceptional coach but i think most feel time to move on.

bennett loves money. he'd insist on a pay-out from the broncos and then move on to another big pay day. rob suggested england and i see wigan has interest. there will be others. i can't see bellamy sitting out a year. if this happens, it happens next year. no one wants bellamy out for a year and no one wants to be a lame duck coach or have a lame duck coach. 

be interesting to see what happens to storm. bellamy has been amazing but he has had superb cattle. smith (i saw the stats - when smith plays, they win 70%, when he doesn't they win 40% - so it is not just bellamy). also slater. both at end of their careers. both may not play next year. and they have had inglis, cronk, folau, lazarus, chambers, so many greats. it does seem that the storm are coming to the end. 

the broncs are struggling this year but have some massive talent in the ranks - haas, izaccko, staggs, fifita, pangai, sua among the kids, plus the milfords, roberts, gilletts, oates, mcculloughs, maguires, and others (bird, who knows). 

i could see bellamy to the broncos, bird released back to sydney, sam retires (like to see boyd retire as well and he may well move on with bennett - never played for any other coach) and so we can cover the contracts of the kids coming through and perhaps even add munster. 

interesting to watch. 

What is paramount with the Broncos is the fact that they have not won the premiership since 2006 and they want to re-establish themselves as a powerhouse club again, as they were in the 90s and as Melbourne is now.

Just now, JohnS said:

What is paramount with the Broncos is the fact that they have not won the premiership since 2006 and they want to re-establish themselves as a powerhouse club again, as they were in the 90s and as Melbourne is now.

very much so. huge expectations and patience running thin.

to be fair to bennett, after the mess with henjak and that dill bruno cullen (i have it on extremely good authority that bellamy was almost certain to come to the broncs quite a while back but then he met cullen and could not run far enough fast enough) and then griffin, though i think he was poorly treated (and even though gone, bennett's fingerprints were over so much of all this), he came back and in his first season back, he took us to within 3 seconds of another premiership (after finishing 2nd in the regular season). that was above and beyond hopes and expectations at the time. since then, i think, we finished 3rd and 5th regular season (missing the top four on differential). most clubs would be pretty happy. although this year proving a struggle and some really puzzling contract decisions - bird? and boyd? the latter four years on a dud hamstring at his age. i know they have the father/son thing going on but really? 

i think it is time, especially if we can attract bellamy. 

i think the storm are in huge trouble from next year.