Do you smoke different marcas/vitolas at different speeds?

I’ve just smoked a PLPC, and followed it up with a Juan Lopez Minutos.

Both from 2013.

I’ve noticed that, to maintain the flavour sweet spot, I’m smoking the JL noticeably faster.

Do you smoke different marcas/vitolas at different speeds?

14 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

I’ve just smoked a PLPC, and followed it up with a Juan Lopez Minutos.

Both from 2013.

I’ve noticed that, to maintain the flavour sweet spot, I’m smoking the JL noticeably faster?

Do you smoke different vitolas at different speeds?

I definitely think theres something in this. I think the blend plays a part. There are some 50+RG cigars I don't give too much respect to (in terms of drawing speed) but I always find I want to slow down with something like a good Upmann mag 50. I think blend ratios, and quality of tobacco play a big roll.   

• Like 2

I like to experiment and smoke fast then slow down once the ash is there to help even more. You'll find new flavours and hidden complexity. Almost got rid of my o.r. box of Unicos because of this till I slowed down and realized it wasn't just a pepper bomb back then.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've never really thought about it, but I think the cigar provides its own feedback by turning harsh or going out and my job is to find the balancing point in between those two extremes.  I have no idea if this would be marca dependent, but I would expect other factors such as construction would have a much bigger impact.

Different marcas? No. Different vitolas? Yes. I am a slow smoker in general, just think the cigar tastes better when you go slow. Having said that, I purposely smoke smaller ring gauge cigars like PC’s slower than I would smoke a Robusto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comes down to the actual cigar, nothing to do with the marca with rare exception.  There are a few I like to savor more than others like LGD MdO's.  Patience wins big time with them.  Just too special.

Not different marcas, for me, necessarily. Different vitolas, yes, and specifically thin ring-gauged cigars, 40/64ths of an inch and under. These vitolas, when combined with a length greater than 150 mm (or 6 inches) in my opinion, require slower smoking to prevent over-heating and thus avoid the onset of bitter flavours.

Other than that, I smoke various marcas at the same rate.

35 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Not different marcas, for me, necessarily. Different vitolas, yes, and specifically thin ring-gauged cigars, 40/64ths of an inch and under. These vitolas, when combined with a length greater than 150 mm (or 6 inches) in my opinion, require slower smoking to prevent over-heating and thus avoid the onset of bitter flavours.

Other than that, I smoke various marcas at the same rate.

That’s the norm for me, too.

Both of these cigars were 42rg, yet I noticed I was smoking the JL notably faster to maintain the sweet spot of flavours.

I’ve never been conscious of such a difference before.

The cigar tells you how it should be smoked.
Mine just say Light That End, Now Suck
  • Like 1

Interesting point, I do try to smoke thinner ring gauges slower and look at the ash for indicators on how fast I'm smoking a cigar, the dark it is I feel I'm smoking it too fast.

I've been doing a lot of reviews with friends recently, all smoking the same stick and when we smoke at different speeds we do get slightly different flavours.

Not intentionally but I often find CC's don't burn well for the second half of the cigar and it's more of a problem with bigger ring gauge. Because of that I end up smoking bigger ring gauge cigars quicker for the second half to try and keep it lit. 

• 2 years later...

Thin cigars tend to heat up easily. A  Laguito No. 1 or 2, for instance,  are always cigars that I sip rather than suck.  As the RG increases this becomes less important. I don't suck them down like I used to, I'm more in the savor camp now.

Okay...I don't know how that last/first post answers the question, but this is a worthy topic to revisit.

To @cfc1016's comment, I try to be attentive and responsive to how the cigar is "telling" me to smoke it. That said, It's more common than I'd like to admit that I end up  rushing the smoking. Honestly, it's just hard to find a few hours to myself at any time of the day, weekday or weekend.  

When I do have the time to be completely free and responsive, I test several different aspects of the "smoking." These are relatively independent factors.

• draw depth - this is the duration of the draw: short pulls "sipping" versus long pulls "quaffing"
  • draw speed - this is the pace of the draw: slow, languid versus a quicker intake
  • draw cadence - this is the resting interval between draws: from several seconds to a minute or more

For me the only marca I could generalize where I find myself smoking slower than others is QdO. Not a rule or complaint, but just my observation now that your question makes me think back..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My speed depends on the weather, if I like the cigar, and if the size is prone to overheating.  Needless to say, if I really like the cigar and the weather is nice I will smoke slowly regardless of the size.