Planning a trans-continental move. Who's on my path??

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... It's been 11 years in the making. I've been wanting to move to Alaska for that long. It has never materialized in that time, unfortunately. Now, through a very strange and unpredictable (and w

Made it!! Next stop: ANCHORAGE!!!

I’ve been smokin like a chimney. @awkwardPause sent me north with a treasure chest. I’ve been sharing a lot of those sticks with other folks too, but I’ve been smoking ~3-4 cigars/day since i left for

17 minutes ago, JohnInCleveland said:

Cuyahoga as in Ohio?  I'll feed ya and share a cigar if you come this way, and I can tell you everything there is to see between there any Iowa.  

Spoiler alert, I hope you like corn as far as the eyes can see.  

Yeah I’m actually thinking i might skip the nights stay in Ohio and just power through to des moines. I would be stopping for a couplefew hours at a time at rest stops for powernaps, but maybe not spend a whole night. I aim, based on knowledge of my personal capacities (I’ve logged ~670,000 miles behind the wheel lifetime), to cover ~700-800 miles per calendar day. Cuyahoga is only ~500 miles from dc (WAY less than i want to be covering per day), and des moines is only ~1,000 - totally doable in ~1.5 days with a few rest stops. I know from experience. I’ve driven the 900+ mile route from dc to orlando (and back), straight through, more times than I care to admit, lol. 1,000 miles in 36 hours is totally reasonable. Besides I want to make sure to have as much time as possible in Glacier. That’s my primary sightseeing destination along the way.

I would still likely be traveling that route though, regardless of whether or not I end up camping in Cuyahoga. Are you along my planned route through Ohio? If so, I’d be happy to make a stop to see you, have a cigar, and chat!

Sorry to say I don’t eat corn, lol. Trust me though, I know what it looks like. I’ve driven across north dakota a couple times. Oof. 

19 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

@JohnInCleveland click the googlemaps link in my first post. It shows my planned route. Are you within ~50 miles of that route?

I'm 15 miles from your route. That town that says "Strongsville" is where I grew up.  Lunch or dinner, whenever you come thru.  I used to live in DC area, it can be a tough leg, I'd probably try to get to South Bend that day.  Give or take.  

20 minutes ago, JohnInCleveland said:

I'm 15 miles from your route. That town that says "Strongsville" is where I grew up.  Lunch or dinner, whenever you come thru.  I used to live in DC area, it can be a tough leg, I'd probably try to get to South Bend that day.  Give or take.  

Hmm. I guess I’ll have to monitor traffic at different times. I imagine though, that it’d be easier to leave dc around 1000hrs and hit cleveland around 1700-1800hrs. Then when i leave, I should be able to clear Chicago before morning rush hour. Chicago is basically the last major ‘rush hour town’ i need to plan around, til spokane and seattle. I’ve driven through chicagoland during afternoon rush hour before. That was not fun. 

Portland OR, but off your path. 

You may have issues with your cigars, unless you have less than 2 boxes you may be hit with a huge fine.  the funny part is once you get thru, you can bring as much as you want back into Alaska/US.  If you have more than 2 boxes, you may want to ship them to your self.   If you take them with you, make sure it takes you 2 or more days to drive thru Canada.  Less than 48 hours in Canada will result in big fees bringing the cigars back into US soil. 

Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

i have to say i'm jealous.  i've visited anchorage only once and could spend a year there.  i went during may and remember the darkness only from 11pm to 4am.

funny that you're moving from DC, that's my 2nd favorite city.  i know your route up to des moines, then from spokane to the border.  cost wise, maybe consider buying remaining everyday items in bellingham before you cross over?

the canadian part of the drive looks awesome.  when you get to anchorage, restock at northern knives.  great shop.  maybe check out reflections lake and the scenic drive to portage?

i live nowhere near your path, but safe travels and best of luck!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Portland OR, but off your path. 

You may have issues with your cigars, unless you have less than 2 boxes you may be hit with a huge fine.  the funny part is once you get thru, you can bring as much as you want back into Alaska/US.  If you have more than 2 boxes, you may want to ship them to your self.   If you take them with you, make sure it takes you 2 or more days to drive thru Canada.  Less than 48 hours in Canada will result in big fees bringing the cigars back into US soil. 

Best of luck!

Can you elaborate? Does canada fine or the US? I doubt I’d cross the ALCAN in under 48 hours, lol. 

2 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

Can you elaborate? Does canada fine or the US? I doubt I’d cross the ALCAN in under 48 hours, lol. 

You will be importing Cuban cigars into Canada.  They have a limit of 2 boxes tax free.  Anything above that will be taxed around 300% (no joke) by the Canadian government.  The US will only tax you if you bring cigars into the country and you were out of the country less than 48 hours (2 nights).

15 minutes ago, Monterey said:

You will be importing Cuban cigars into Canada.  They have a limit of 2 boxes tax free.  Anything above that will be taxed around 300% (no joke) by the Canadian government.  The US will only tax you if you bring cigars into the country and you were out of the country less than 48 hours (2 nights).

Oh wow that’s hefty. I guess I’ll keep em with me til i get to seattle. Vacuum seal everything at @awkwardPause ‘s, and ship em from there to anchorage, with just my traveldor on my person for the crossing. I can cross canada with <50 cigars, lol. 

5 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

Oh wow that’s hefty. I guess I’ll keep em with me til i get to seattle. Vacuum seal everything at @awkwardPause ‘s, and ship em from there to anchorage, with just my traveldor on my person for the crossing. I can cross canada with <50 cigars, lol. 

Yup, that is exactly what I would do.

• Like 1

Question.  If one can prove that they are only transiting Canada back to the US, will they let you through with no tax?  Just a thought but I think I know the answer.  NOOOOOO! :bsmeter:

I think mailing them to yourself is the best option.

Have a great and safe trip! :perfect10:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, luv2fly said:

Question.  If one can prove that they are only transiting Canada back to the US, will they let you through with no tax?  Just a thought but I think I know the answer.  NOOOOOO! :bsmeter:

I think mailing them to yourself is the best option.

Have a great and safe trip! :perfect10:

Big no on that.  "I PROMISE that they are mine and I'll take a picture of myself in Alaska and email you, whats your email address?"  Once in Canada, nothing to stop you from dropping them off to someone trying to skirt the law.

You could google "how to smuggle drugs".  You may get some interesting ideas on ways to hide box in a gutted out car.  That or you may get a knock on your door with such a google inquiry :) 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Big no on that.  "I PROMISE that they are mine and I'll take a picture of myself in Alaska and email you, whats your email address?"  Once in Canada, nothing to stop you from dropping them off to someone trying to skirt the law.

You could google "how to smuggle drugs".  You may get some interesting ideas on ways to hide box in a gutted out car.  That or you may get a knock on your door with such a google inquiry :) 

Lol. I’m happy to just play by the rules. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Knew the answer but, I had to ask....:lol: Keistering cigars would not be a good idea....they would taste like crap!:moon:

Play by the rules and all will work out!!

32 minutes ago, luv2fly said:

Knew the answer but, I had to ask....:lol: Keistering cigars would not be a good idea....they would taste like crap!:moon:

Play by the rules and all will work out!!

Funny thing. When you play by the rules, people are usually pretty nice to ya ??

• Like 1