Planning a trans-continental move. Who's on my path??

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... It's been 11 years in the making. I've been wanting to move to Alaska for that long. It has never materialized in that time, unfortunately. Now, through a very strange and unpredictable (and w

Made it!! Next stop: ANCHORAGE!!!

I’ve been smokin like a chimney. @awkwardPause sent me north with a treasure chest. I’ve been sharing a lot of those sticks with other folks too, but I’ve been smoking ~3-4 cigars/day since i left for

7 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Neat idea, but it would get so smokey.  Inhaling all of that smoke. 

You are making me want to do a road trip.  Been too long!

That’s why I’d install something like THIS in the roof; THIS in the door, and a small fan/space heater for extra circulation/heat in winter

• Thanks 1

That set-up! Nice work.

Dude, now you just need a wood burning stove and you can turn it into an ice shanty as well! There’s nothing you won’t be able to do in this beast. Mostly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, awkwardPause said:

That set-up! Nice work.

Dude, now you just need a wood burning stove and you can turn it into an ice shanty as well! There’s nothing you won’t be able to do in this beast. Mostly...

I thought about a small stove.. for about 5 seconds. Having installed ~1,300 woodstoves myself, I know all too well that 200 cu ft would get WAY too hot with a stove installed. 

Small space heater running on a battery would be adequate. 

1 hour ago, mozart23 said:

I'm impressed with not only all the work involved in this but managing the box pass as well! Where do you find time to sleep??? :)

Thanks. I guess I’ll sleep when I’m dead??

17 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

Man, this is brilliant!--the whole shebang! Kudos. Good luck and safe travels. 

Look forward to more updates. : )

Thanks bud! Everything in life worth having requires work/sacrifice, right? I keep reminding myself of that...

?

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 8:18 PM, Optic101 said:

Enjoy loading ?

Don’t forget a ? break from time to time 

Finally enjoying my first long awaited partagas serie club. Got the trailer all loaded up today, and moved over to my parents’, where I’ll be staying til i leave. Just a few more things to get out of the other house tomorrow then that chapter is finally closed. 

3D63B9BB-885F-42B1-A059-452CD0B7BB32.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Finally enjoying my first long awaited partagas serie club. Got the trailer all loaded up today, and moved over to my parents’, where I’ll be staying til i leave. Just a few more things to get out of the other house tomorrow then that chapter is finally closed. 

3D63B9BB-885F-42B1-A059-452CD0B7BB32.jpeg

Lots of space in there ?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Monterey said:

When are you due in Alaska.  Seems like you are going to be getting there just as the nice summer ends..

End of August. Is what it is. I had/have a lot of business to attend to before leaving. Don't want any loose ends

19 hours ago, akpreacher said:

I’ve lived in Alaska all my life and there is nowhere that compares to it!!! Looking forward to following your trip down.

Where are you? I'll be in Anchorage

• Like 1

16 hours ago, akpreacher said:

I live in a remote village called Naknek, lol the only way to get here is boat or plane.

Yeah that’s a bit of a trek from anchorage. I’m sure we can make it work at some point though. Maybe I’ll charter a bush pilot to take me out there for a visit at some point!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

What a day. Covered 1,200 miles in 24 hours on only 45 minutes nap. Southern Maryland to western Iowa (just across the Missouri from Omaha). What a HAUL.

Blitzed through Md, Pa, Oh, In, Il and Ia to get to my family’s historical farm house outside of Des Moines. Had a nice update on the property from the site’s education director, cruised around the mansion, and helped with some updates to our family tree. Spread some of my grandpa’s ashes in our historical home. Posed for some pics with my 3x great grandpa’s portrait (can you see the resemblance?!? ?) and shared family stories with the folks who are in charge of charting my family’s history/impact on the american agricultural industry. My 3x great grandpa built the bloodlines of the american Short Horn beef industry and was a founding father of Des Moines.

After all that, I’ve just finally pulled in to my cigar-friendly ‘clean room, reasonably priced’ (as Coop would say). Time for the pooch to rest and for me to have a bath.

Tomorrow will be occupied with prep for my drive to/4 day camping trip in Wyoming’s Wind River Range (just south of the Grand Teton National Park). 

3D3B08CD-8D19-4FFA-97E3-3168810B0832.jpeg

DC402ED1-4700-4057-90A3-06CC272A8F7B.jpeg

51D0F52A-6ADC-4B5A-895C-5F1DA4A29E59.jpeg

91B37F34-BB92-4A6F-9D40-CDD313E75B26.jpeg

DDE737CC-E026-4B34-B551-6D5B6BD7B5E4.jpeg

A68138CE-DD54-42B9-9D04-983121857BAD.jpeg

588CEECA-76ED-4FC1-9ED7-B45811AD1022.jpeg

0FD15FE9-5422-42B2-87F0-776D172881CB.jpeg

9E17E24E-78A9-4C4A-BB69-7D5F5C8175C3.jpeg

FC3E9569-76B5-4403-8B68-A1FDB0EAF1B4.jpeg

72A637BD-5B61-4D53-81A3-61F42E8E44F5.jpeg

9244B925-09CB-4C14-A2C2-77662CE13A58.jpeg