Planning a trans-continental move. Who's on my path??

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... It's been 11 years in the making. I've been wanting to move to Alaska for that long. It has never materialized in that time, unfortunately. Now, through a very strange and unpredictable (and w

Made it!! Next stop: ANCHORAGE!!!

I’ve been smokin like a chimney. @awkwardPause sent me north with a treasure chest. I’ve been sharing a lot of those sticks with other folks too, but I’ve been smoking ~3-4 cigars/day since i left for

6 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

Rest stop in Boise for a few days to recover from the big hike and catch up wjth old friends. 

Went to the fair yesterday and played with GOATS!

E1467D0E-DC26-408F-87A9-D6DAC7C8F6A9.jpeg

0A047332-EB0E-46BF-A8C5-3C269DED6F29.jpeg

They are cute little buggers aren’t they.  There is something where I live called Goat yoga.  Saw a news story about it.  They were walking on people’s backs while doing yoga.  Pretty funny to watch.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, luv2fly said:

They are cute little buggers aren’t they.  There is something where I live called Goat yoga.  Saw a news story about it.  They were walking on people’s backs while doing yoga.  Pretty funny to watch.

Dude they’re the best. I seriously love pretty much every single thing about them. You’ll never see me smile like when I’m playing with a goat. I could go for a goat massage. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Monterey said:

Nice!  I'm going to be in Sequim, WA tomorrow.  If I wasn't driving all day, I would drive over to Seattle!

Nice! I’m gonna be driving through the firestorm of sea/tac later today to close out the boxpass with @awkwardPause . Vancouver tomorrow for a smoke with @MrGinger, hopefully, then I’m buggin north up the Alcan!

11 hours ago, bpm32 said:

My Motherland. Dad and his brothers used to ride their dirt bikes near Roslyn.

Really cool little town. This place was inadvertently my first inspiration to move to Alaska. Watching Northern Exposure as a kid was when the bug first hit me. I’m gonna shell out a little more support for the local economy here before makin my way to seattle. 

How is the air quality in Vancouver? I was in Seattle over the weekend and the sky looked like nothing I’d ever seen there. At night the moon was red. I guess it was even worse in Spokane.
Absolutely horrendous right now.

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

Vancouver, BC? Roughly when do you expect to pass through there?

Also, make sure to check the fire maps. It's a mess right now.

I’m gonna try and meet a non-cigar buddy by 1pm. Then I’m meeting with @MrGinger at a lounge (of his recommendation) whenever he’s free. I’m not hard-pressed for an exact time for that. Whenever works. Would love to have you come join us! I pm’ed you my number. Shoot me a text. 

3 hours ago, bpm32 said:

How is the air quality in Vancouver? I was in Seattle over the weekend and the sky looked like nothing I’d ever seen there. At night the moon was red. I guess it was even worse in Spokane.

It’s been nasty the past couple of days, though Seattle doesn’t look as bad today as SE Oregon looked yesterday. It’s cooling down right now significantly, and the moon isn’t red. Feels like a good indication that we’re finally getting the smoke-clearing wind they’ve been telling us about. Fingers crossed ? 

It was a crazy ~6 hours of work getting the boxpass closed out tonight with Brian. So much fun though. Feels so good to have such a monumental event completed on my final night in the lower 48, and with such a good friend helping me do it, no less. 

Every step of this journey has just been awesome. I’m on cloud 9.  

E9431277-6605-49E8-9B18-951896A55EE0.jpeg

5713039B-47F8-4E4D-8281-F5EE3E16023E.jpeg

EB76EE56-0F0E-4190-BA8D-C6252E4B98B4.jpeg

EA7D5E8A-1404-4DF6-9E75-C355F7EFBDEB.jpeg

5709145C-C511-4E9C-8F17-CCD655172D81.jpeg

19947DCD-40C6-465E-8DD6-A4DC080EBEDF.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m sitting in a dairy queen in Cache Creek BC right now, availing myself of their wifi. Figured I’d post an update. 

As I crossed the border into BC, i learned that verizon doesn’t cover Canada, and neither does my garmin GPS. I was traveling blind into Vancouver for my visit with @MrGinger . I managed to get data roaming turned on and used the phone to get me to my meetup with MrGinger. Upon closing googlemaps i saw a text notifying me that that had cost me ~$50 in roaming data charges. Ouch. Soooo I’m finally downloading some offline google maps in the hopes that that’ll get me safely to Alaska. 

Vancouver was loads of fun. Apparently MrGinger’s local spot isn’t in the best neighborhood, so we carried my kayaks a block and brought them into the ‘office’. Had to be a first for them, lol. Huge props to MrGinger for goin with the flow and improving. Awesome time was had at the office, with great company. Chille got a much needed break from the road/work. I even got to meet a personal hero who lives in Vancouver - Chris A., creator of ‘Scratch Radio’ my all time top favorite Internet radio station. What a cool guy, and an honor to meet him. After that I followed the expert advice of te folks at the office and got beef/chorizo/bacon poutine at ‘Belgian Fries’. It was GLORIOUS.

The border crossing was impressively smooth. I had all my documents prepared and they didn’t even check any of them... OR MY TRAILER. It was crazy. I answered some questions for ~5 minutes and breezed through. Crazy time. 

Had a nice rest last night in Hope, BC and am now pushing through as far as i can manage today. I packed my travel humi with nothing but great gifts from @awkwardPause . I figured on this last leg, I might as well smoke nothin but the good stuff. Delicious VR famosos to start my day. Once i get a coffee, I’ll be lighting up something else that I’m sure will be excellent. Lusitania perhaps?...

56DF3266-3133-4BE2-A31B-C001AA787D99.jpeg

5208DE77-42B7-43FF-846F-E10F38BBC226.jpeg

34F6B92A-821E-416E-9CE6-523E6ED5CDCB.jpeg

882642E9-51EE-423B-90F2-C883E19B66AD.jpeg

4CEEFDD8-94F3-4B2E-85B0-15A2FBCEC838.jpeg

A028A397-08AA-4664-B74D-682726A25E57.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

I’m sitting in a dairy queen in Cache Creek BC right now, availing myself of their wifi. Figured I’d post an update. 

As I crossed the border into BC, i learned that verizon doesn’t cover Canada, and neither does my garmin GPS. I was traveling blind into Vancouver for my visit with @MrGinger . I managed to get data roaming turned on and used the phone to get me to my meetup with MrGinger. Upon closing googlemaps i saw a text notifying me that that had cost me ~$50 in roaming data charges. Ouch. Soooo I’m finally downloading some offline google maps in the hopes that that’ll get me safely to Alaska. 

Vancouver was loads of fun. Apparently MrGinger’s local spot isn’t in the best neighborhood, so we carried my kayaks a block and brought them into the ‘office’. Had to be a first for them, lol. Huge props to MrGinger for goin with the flow and improving. Awesome time was had at the office, with great company. Chille got a much needed break from the road/work. I even got to meet a personal hero who lives in Vancouver - Chris A., creator of ‘Scratch Radio’ my all time top favorite Internet radio station. What a cool guy, and an honor to meet him. After that I followed the expert advice of te folks at the office and got beef/chorizo/bacon poutine at ‘Belgian Fries’. It was GLORIOUS.

The border crossing was impressively smooth. I had all my documents prepared and they didn’t even check any of them... OR MY TRAILER. It was crazy. I answered some questions for ~5 minutes and breezed through. Crazy time. 

Had a nice rest last night in Hope, BC and am now pushing through as far as i can manage today. I packed my travel humi with nothing but great gifts from @awkwardPause . I figured on this last leg, I might as well smoke nothin but the good stuff. Delicious VR famosos to start my day. Once i get a coffee, I’ll be lighting up something else that I’m sure will be excellent. Lusitania perhaps?...

56DF3266-3133-4BE2-A31B-C001AA787D99.jpeg

5208DE77-42B7-43FF-846F-E10F38BBC226.jpeg

34F6B92A-821E-416E-9CE6-523E6ED5CDCB.jpeg

882642E9-51EE-423B-90F2-C883E19B66AD.jpeg

4CEEFDD8-94F3-4B2E-85B0-15A2FBCEC838.jpeg

A028A397-08AA-4664-B74D-682726A25E57.jpeg

Sounds like fun dude. Smoke something for me. I just got my wisdom teeth extracted, so it will be a couple weeks till I can smoke one. Be safe, and enjoy weekend brother.

• Like 1

I’ve been smokin like a chimney. [mention=30093]awkwardPause[/mention] sent me north with a treasure chest. I’ve been sharing a lot of those sticks with other folks too, but I’ve been smoking ~3-4 cigars/day since i left for canada. 
Sitting at walmart in Whitehorse, YT, right now, catching up on a few things briefly. Should be hitting anchorage tomorrow afternoon. 
D7041E28-6D64-4642-BBBD-F5263ECE0430.thumb.jpeg.2b9e44f741b8cda35da7f8475da1e8ed.jpeg
E5200CE2-AB19-40E5-BE0A-1098AE3D3160.thumb.jpeg.edbfb0eeeff4636892966e6a906a094d.jpeg
28C661C8-C5B2-454C-A867-72487F455326.thumb.jpeg.f50be3d4afed4d4810f70486f29b1d97.jpeg

Cool, I pastored a church in Delta Junction for a couple of years. There is a drive-in restaurant in the middle of town that serves a good buffalo burger and the milkshakes are really good as well. If it’s open on your way through it’d be worth stopping for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

All great journeys come to an end! Straight back to work today! Thanks for all the support from the community along the way. You guys are awesome!

image.jpg

F255EC0B-45A9-4992-B8A9-DDCD6E09630C.png

What will you be doing?

Chinm chimney chim chimney chim chim charoo

6 hours ago, OllyBond said:

Chinm chimney chim chimney chim chim charoo

I’ve always had a secret unhealthy / passion / obssession / addiction / attraction to Mary Poppins!

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1