Anniversary Trip To Cuba in July from the US

n0s4atu

Hello all!  Work has been keeping me from the forum and enjoying as many cigars as I'd like, this summer I'll have time to slow down and after reading so many great threads here I've decided to make a short trip to Cuba happen for the wife and I. 

We'll be flying from Baltimore, MD to Havana for 3 days and 4 nights.  It looks like booking a place to stay will be easy through AirBNB (if you have a great Casa feel free to post it up as I haven't booked yet), and the wife will be chatting up Jorge about driving and giving us a tour, but my main concern are the Visas.  How do we obtain these? The airport in Baltimore is an International airport, can we obtain them there or must we get them in Fort Lauderdale during our transfer?  What's required?  My wife is a history teacher, so for her part this really is an educational trip and my family's business is art, so heading to museums and galleries will be on the agenda as well.  

I plan on using this thread as sort of the pre and post trip diary to detail everything and perhaps in the end someone will find it helpful, like I've found many of the threads I've read thus far.  I'm just trying to collect all the info and stuff it into one place for myself to refer back (as well as anyone else who may stumble on this). 

So, if anyone wants to post or shoot a private message on any of the following topics I would really appreciate any and all help!

While Havana isn't huge, is there a place to look to stay that's centrally located to the LCDH's and museums?

Must see museums and or galleries?

We plan on bringing Euros with us, but where's the best place to exchange? I've seen both local banks and the airport, but is there a definitive way to get the most bang for our buck?

Custom rolls by Alex and Reynaldo are on my list, what's the best way to contact them ahead of time? I know I saw it mentioned that Alex was on Facebook.  Or is it easy just to walk in and grab a bundle when they are there?

I know many folks have been from the US in 2018, so if there's something I haven't listed, but we shouldn't miss in our brief trip, please share!  I'm just awful about cameras, social media, etc, however the wife is not and plans to take many pics, which I plan on sharing as we go along. 

Thanks so much everyone, I'm sure this will be an anniversary to remember.

PS: If anyone's local to Maryland or planning on being in the DC area (we're in Frederick 40 mins outside DC), feel free to reach out, I'm happy to host and provide cigars and drinks all in the name of researching the trip! 

Has anyone been to the Museo del Ron?  I was using Google to look around at the locations of things and saw it and thought it might make a fun stop one of the days we are there. 

Oh and as I plan to add to this post to help with the itinerary, please forgive repeated postings here by me.

On 6/3/2018 at 5:11 AM, n0s4atu said:

Hello all!  Work has been keeping me from the forum and enjoying as many cigars as I'd like, this summer I'll have time to slow down and after reading so many great threads here I've decided to make a short trip to Cuba happen for the wife and I. 

We'll be flying from Baltimore, MD to Havana for 3 days and 4 nights.  It looks like booking a place to stay will be easy through AirBNB (if you have a great Casa feel free to post it up as I haven't booked yet), and the wife will be chatting up Jorge about driving and giving us a tour, but my main concern are the Visas.  How do we obtain these? The airport in Baltimore is an International airport, can we obtain them there or must we get them in Fort Lauderdale during our transfer?  What's required?  My wife is a history teacher, so for her part this really is an educational trip and my family's business is art, so heading to museums and galleries will be on the agenda as well.  

I plan on using this thread as sort of the pre and post trip diary to detail everything and perhaps in the end someone will find it helpful, like I've found many of the threads I've read thus far.  I'm just trying to collect all the info and stuff it into one place for myself to refer back (as well as anyone else who may stumble on this). 

So, if anyone wants to post or shoot a private message on any of the following topics I would really appreciate any and all help!

While Havana isn't huge, is there a place to look to stay that's centrally located to the LCDH's and museums?

Must see museums and or galleries?

We plan on bringing Euros with us, but where's the best place to exchange? I've seen both local banks and the airport, but is there a definitive way to get the most bang for our buck?

Custom rolls by Alex and Reynaldo are on my list, what's the best way to contact them ahead of time? I know I saw it mentioned that Alex was on Facebook.  Or is it easy just to walk in and grab a bundle when they are there?

I know many folks have been from the US in 2018, so if there's something I haven't listed, but we shouldn't miss in our brief trip, please share!  I'm just awful about cameras, social media, etc, however the wife is not and plans to take many pics, which I plan on sharing as we go along. 

Thanks so much everyone, I'm sure this will be an anniversary to remember.

PS: If anyone's local to Maryland or planning on being in the DC area (we're in Frederick 40 mins outside DC), feel free to reach out, I'm happy to host and provide cigars and drinks all in the name of researching the trip! 

For the visa it depends on the airline. I’ve only flown American and for them you have the option of buying your visa online ahead of time for $85 (if you have time to wait for it to arrive in the mail). If you don’t do that, there is always a small kiosk at the gate for Miami flights at least where you can buy the visa for $100. Either way, they won’t let you board without the visa so they will have some sort of arrangement for you to get one before boarding. Check with the airline. Most of the others arrange the visa for a cheaper cost than American does. 

For Reynaldo customs at Conde de Villanueva, he had a large humidor with many cabinets well stocked with lot’s of his customs. I’d estimate he had around 50 of each vitola last month. If you want something very specific, call Conde de Villanueva and ask them to connect you to the tobacco shop or get the tobacco shop number and let them know what you want ahead of time. Many people were coming in and picking up bundles of pre-orders. I personally preferred opening up the humidor and talking with Reynaldo about the different vitolas and cherry picking good looking sticks from there. 

For money exchange, if you search “cadeca” on whichever maps app you have it should pull them up. There is one on the main tourist street Calle Obispo in Old Havana. You will need your passport to exchange currency there. I exchanged Mexican Pesos, Euros and USD. If you have non USD currency left over like I did, take that because you’ll get a good rate. That bank on Obispo is open 7 days a week so you can exchange a little bit at a time whenever you need. There are many small museums and galleries on the same street as Conde de Villanuena (Calle Mercaderes) so you’ll have no trouble finding them. Enjoy the trip!

You’ll love Jorge. Great driver. We were with him for several hours yesterday. 

I preordered customs from Alex & Reynaldo, also picked up some from Yolanda & from Club Havana. Alex, Reynaldo, & Yolanda all had stock available in addition to my orders. 

Alex is on Facebook. Jorge contacted Reynaldo for me.  I didn’t contact Yolanda prior to this trip. 

I will post up a report & photos sometime this weekend. 

I would recommend staying at The Nacional if you’re going the hotel route. It was a happening place yesterday afternoon. 

Thanks JY0, Raccoon and Stogie! 

Here's where we're at. We're flying Southwest out of Baltimore on July 30th, connecting in Fort Lauderdale and then it's on to Cuba for a 3 days/nights and coming back on August 2nd. 

Because of Raccoon's post I was able to track down via Southwest's site how to preorder our visas.  Anyone thinking of doing this make sure to have your confirmation number handy as it's required. Doing it this way, just about double's the cost of the Visas, for both it was $195 and they will be shipped to our house.  100% worth it because the visas were what had my wife worried.  So to alleviate the worried wife and reduce 2nd hand stress it was a no brainer. lol

We have our Casa booked via AirBnB and our hosts seem really friendly and have great reviews. 

My wife, who's always on Facebook has already talked to Jorge and gotten us squared away there and he'll pick us up at the airport and take us back on the 2nd, as well as give drive us around during our stay to the various sites.  What everyone here has said is accurate, he's friendly and already going above and beyond.

At this point it's all about figuring out how to properly plan out our days during our visit, since the major details are taken care of. Because I wasn't aware of how easy you guys would make this the only thing I regret is booking it for July 30th and not June 30th.  

Oh and because the wife was worried, but looking forward to going when I grilled some steaks this week I did my best to help her take her mind off the stress, by preparing her a drink made with Havana Club 3yr, some strawberry daiquiri mix and orange Rockstar Zero. Odd combo, but it's what was on hand and turned out surprisingly good. I had to do something with the left over pineapple after I threw it on the grill. 
Seriously, thanks all you really are making planning this trip a breeze, and since she normally handles vacation planning I greatly appreciate it!

PinayRon.jpg

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, garagedragon said:

Wow, thanks for the trip details! My son and I are heading down this Monday for 3 days. Glad you had a great trip.

You will have an amazing time.  I think a Father/son trip won't be dampened at all by a little sweat (pun intended).  Post up everything you guys do!  

@n0s4atu thanks so much for the great trip report.  Glad you go to experience that.  It is truly an amazing place.  Jorge really is a great guy.  I got the same treatment at the Nacional as you.  And like you, luckily I had already spent my budget and really wasn't looking for anything there more than a couple of sticks to smoke on the veranda.

12 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

@n0s4atu thanks so much for the great trip report.  Glad you go to experience that.  It is truly an amazing place.  Jorge really is a great guy.  I got the same treatment at the Nacional as you.  And like you, luckily I had already spent my budget and really wasn't looking for anything there more than a couple of sticks to smoke on the veranda.

By the way Jorge spoke VERY highly of you.  Seriously anyone who goes should really get him, as it's like driving around with an old friend.  Well unless I plan on being there at the same time and then you people find someone else Jorge is mine!!! Dibs. See, I called dibs, I'm pretty sure that's legally binding in Cuba.

I'm sad to hear that you got the same treatment at the Nacional as the humidor looked impressive and well stocked.   Oh and @Campanas these were two younger ladies one in her 20s the other in her 30s. I will be on a mission to get in there on my next trip. lol  Now, the lady who sold us the ashtrays upstairs couldn't have been nicer.

@n0s4atu I wasn't in the market for an ashtray as I already have one courtesy of @madandana, a GREAT BOTL!  I just didn't have the room in my luggage for one what with all the other booty.

So, I didn't even think about searching for the ashtray.  For future reference, where in the hotel do they sell the ashtrays?  I'm assuming somewhere off the lobby? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

@n0s4atu I wasn't in the market for an ashtray as I already have one courtesy of @madandana, a GREAT BOTL!  I just didn't have the room in my luggage for one what with all the other booty.

So, I didn't even think about searching for the ashtray.  For future reference, where in the hotel do they sell the ashtrays?  I'm assuming somewhere off the lobby? 

Yes, it is off the lobby and down to the left if I'm recalling correctly.  They sell books there, etc and had the ashtrays sitting out at a little counter. 

Yes, it is off the lobby and down to the left if I'm recalling correctly.  They sell books there, etc and had the ashtrays sitting out at a little counter. 

Correct on the location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct on the location.

I was so disappointed with myself for not buying an ashtray when I was there a year ago! I stood and stare at them for a few minutes debating it, but something inside me told me to spend the money on more boxes. Of course, had I known I was going to join FOH and very easily buy cigars whenever I want, I would have spent all my money on Havana Club, a Nacional ashtray, and art. Oh well, there’s always next time!

I was so disappointed with myself for not buying an ashtray when I was there a year ago! I stood and stare at them for a few minutes debating it, but something inside me told me to spend the money on more boxes. Of course, had I known I was going to join FOH and very easily buy cigars whenever I want, I would have spent all my money on Havana Club, a Nacional ashtray, and art. Oh well, there’s always next time!

There is always next time .
Over the years I’ve picked up four for myself. Various sizes and styles. Love em.

We were talking about it last night, and really feel like Havana is actually a great "bang for your buck" little vacation.  There really is a lot to see and do, there's tons of interesting history, even if you didn't enjoy cigars.  That being said, while you can find Cuban cigars all over the world, there was just something about going around to the various LCDH's and seeing what was available and watching Yolanda and Reynaldo roll a cigar was a real treat.

The first visit is definitely a great primer for a return trip, so you know better what you want to do and where you want to go.

I just realized most of the pictures are on my wife's phone and that Jorge took quite a few as well that we are waiting on. Random shots around Havana, plus a picture of some of the tobacco leaves used from Yolanda's shop. The last shot is from our balcony overlooking the Plaza Vieja. I of course picked when it was raining and empty to take the photo. lol And if you're wondering about the purplish tint in the picture, well that's the view through the tint in Jorge's cab, not some silly filter I used. 68c7f91cb51198d47d0d6039ace8e87e.jpg65dfd91f570d87a0d72b60b82e16d2db.jpgd9bdf5fa5b3945acfd1bd6656f5224a5.jpgf62f867c92be09453bcb7b63d29728a6.jpg318e6fea29862ce92f7eeb97b757c1b0.jpg518220c5060c48138b3e037a66f3427c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It looks like an awesome trip, I’m going in December but only have one day in Havana (cruise). I’m trying to balance the 4-5 LCDHs and cigar factory tour I want to go to with also not boring my wife completely to death.

If you have time, I (and others) would love to hear your opinion about the various cigar shops you went to, what were your favorites shops, best shops for singles, 3 packs, boxes, etc., shops people should definitely see no matter what.

13 hours ago, stogieluver said:

@Kwenk check your messages.

Feel free to share your thoughts here @stogieluverfor everyone if you like.  

@Kwenk The Partagas LCDH has the best overall selection.  Reynaldo's shop at the Conde de Villanueva also had a very good selection of things.  If you can get into the humidor at the Nacional, I suspect they have some real treasures in there.   Those were the two best and I also recommend stopping in to see Alex at the Comodoro and Yolanda at the Melia.  They not only make amazing custom rolls, but their shops were good as well.  I will visit all those shops again on my next trip and keep my eyes peeled for others that are recommended here on the forum. 

Also, if you're going to maximize your one day in Cuba, hire Jorge or another recommended driver to take you and your wife around. She'll get to see the sites and you'll get to hit all the LCDH's on your list.  Well worth the money and trying to take random taxi's to do it, based on what I saw seems like a crap shoot at best.

@KwenkI got your response to my PM question regarding your schedule and I think you have a tremendous itinerary for the short amount of time you’ll be in Havana. 

The only thing I would suggest is you try to use Jorge as your driver and get around to see Alex, Yolanda, & Reynaldo to pick up their customs if you can work that in. I wouldn’t buy regular production stock unless you come across some EL’s or RE’s hard to find. And remember to freeze all the cigars you buy on the island before putting them in your humidor. 

6 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

@KwenkI got your response to my PM question regarding your schedule and I think you have a tremendous itinerary for the short amount of time you’ll be in Havana. 

The only thing I would suggest is you try to use Jorge as your driver and get around to see Alex, Yolanda, & Reynaldo to pick up their customs if you can work that in. I wouldn’t buy regular production stock unless you come across some EL’s or RE’s hard to find. And remember to freeze all the cigars you buy on the island before putting them in your humidor. 

I'm in the process of freezing mine now. Did the custom rolls first and now the boxes are in the freezer.  It's a process, but safety first.