Anniversary Trip To Cuba in July from the US

n0s4atu

15 hours ago, n0s4atu said:

13 hours ago, stogieluver said:

@KwenkI got your response to my PM question regarding your schedule and I think you have a tremendous itinerary for the short amount of time you’ll be in Havana. 

The only thing I would suggest is you try to use Jorge as your driver and get around to see Alex, Yolanda, & Reynaldo to pick up their customs if you can work that in. I wouldn’t buy regular production stock unless you come across some EL’s or RE’s hard to find. And remember to freeze all the cigars you buy on the island before putting them in your humidor. 

Thanks to you both for information and feedback on my plans, respectively, sounds like I need to rethink my day and where I spend my time.

As a follow up, sounds like you both had trouble getting into the humidor at the Nacional, do you think it was because you arrived too late in the day? I was planning on arriving around 5 in the afternoon, you think I should get there sooner? Or is it just luck of the draw and who is working there?

Thanks to you both for information and feedback on my plans, respectively, sounds like I need to rethink my day and where I spend my time.
As a follow up, sounds like you both had trouble getting into the humidor at the Nacional, do you think it was because you arrived too late in the day? I was planning on arriving around 5 in the afternoon, you think I should get there sooner? Or is it just luck of the draw and who is working there?
No it definitely wasn't late when I arrived, it was closer to lunch time. My only thought was that while I wasn't in a tshirt, I was dressed in shorts and had been touring havana all morning with Jorge so perhaps I was too casually dressed.
And it could have simply been luck of the draw as to who was working the register as well. Which is what I sort of lean towards more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Kwenk said:

I've had the same problem before. The door has literally been screwed closed. I go in the next day, the same lady is working and its open and Carte Blanch. I haven't been able to figure out why or when they decide to close it up, but there are too many great places to smoke/buy cigars in Havana for me to linger in the Nacional's basement for too long.

• Like 1

I've had the same problem before. The door has literally been screwed closed. I go in the next day, the same lady is working and its open and Carte Blanch. I haven't been able to figure out why or when they decide to close it up, but there are too many great places to smoke/buy cigars in Havana for me to linger in the Nacional's basement for too long.
Absolutely agree 100%.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:46 AM, stogieluver said:

I  wouldn’t buy regular production stock unless you come across some EL’s or RE’s hard to find. And remember to freeze all the cigars you buy on the island before putting them in your humidor. 

Why?  Some cigars like the Conny A, Royal Robusto, Trinidad are half the price outside of cuba.    I got nothing but quality cigars.    You only need to freeze customs.  Though it doesn't hurt to do it.

As for hotel naccional, those ladies are straight up rude.  I eventually just walked in.  Others followed me.  The ladies were annoyed, but I got to go thru the stock.  Mind you this was a year ago, but there was nothing special in their humidor.  I found nothing worth buying.

If you are cheap like me, the double decker tour bus drives by all of the LCDH with minimal walking, except Club Havana.  10 bucks for the day. 

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

You only need to freeze customs.

No No No!!! Freeze EVERY SINGLE CIGAR that comes from the island. HSA does not freeze the stock that stays on the island, and its only taken a couple trips through factories to loss complete faith in any freezing that happens to the cigars marked for export. Just like everything else, I'm sure they try, but there is roughly a 0% chance that every cigar that leaves the island has been in a freezer for the proper amount of time at the proper temp.

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

Why?  Some cigars like the Conny A, Royal Robusto, Trinidad are half the price outside of cuba. 

I do agree with this completely. The only RE's you'll see in Cuba are obviously the Cuban RE's which are typically all "sold" before they hit the shelves. The prices on LCDH exclusives are CRAZY, RA Superiores at $56 a box and Upmann Noellas at $122 for the Jar are a couple of the best values in all of cigars, CC or NC. 

Trini's aren't exactly a bargain anywhere, but they are worth it if you can find good boxes. I've had pretty good luck, quality wise. 

1 minute ago, Corylax18 said:

No No No!!! Freeze EVERY SINGLE CIGAR that comes from the island. HSA does not freeze the stock that stays on the island, and its only taken a couple trips through factories to loss complete faith in any freezing that happens to the cigars marked for export. Just like everything else, I'm sure they try, but there is roughly a 0% chance that every cigar that leaves the island has been in a freezer for the proper amount of time at the proper temp.

Member LLC found that they do freeze all cigars, not just exports.  He wrote more about it in a different post.  Don't have that link

2 hours ago, Monterey said:

Member LLC found that they do freeze all cigars, not just exports.  He wrote more about it in a different post.  Don't have that link

I freeze everything from the island...

Even if they did freeze them, they are still in close enough proximity to custom rolls that are not frozen

I’m also certain that I’m not the only one that’s has seen a beetle or two moving around in the shops

I freeze everything from the island...
Even if they did freeze them, they are still in close enough proximity to custom rolls that are not frozen
I’m also certain that I’m not the only one that’s has seen a beetle or two moving around in the shops

I also freeze everything I bring back from Cuba. No matter what they do or are supposed to do, it’s better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I froze everything. Custom rolls first, then the boxes. Just got everything put away. My humidor is definitely full, but I will go back as soon as we are able. We've been talking about it since and even my wife who only enjoys the occasional cigar would go back.70a37327b5957773857f8edc750be00e.jpg

• Like 1

Regarding the negative experiences at the Nacional LCDH, I have never been denied access into their humidor. In fact, this has become one of my favorite stops. During my most recent visits, I have found their stock to be pretty impressive. The lady working there (Whom I’m assuming is the manager) has been friendly and knowledgable (Not so common amongst cigar store workers in Cuba). 
A trip to Havana would not be complete without a stop at the Nacional. Even if the humidor happens to be closed, at least grab a couple singles and head out to the patio for a relaxing and nostalgic smoke/drink. 

I also have never had an issue but they do recognize me when I go in so that may be part of it. The manager is actually the short gentleman who is often around but I normally deal with the two women that always seem to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk