Blind Tasting Reviews Cigar Number 4 : FOH INT 2018 Blind Tasting Comp

I smoked my #4 cigar last night. Thought I would try it out during the #3 controversy. 

It seems like a cigar I am unfamiliar with. A little reminiscent of #1. Salty and cedary with driftwood to boot.

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I propose that everyone mans up and take their lickings. I'm pretty sure one of the forum rules is don't be a wanker.  We are talking about Cuba here right? The cigar being on the deleted list me

When I last played, in typical Scottish fashion, I was defeated 5-0. So I never got any discounts. But I did get the 5 cigars I paid for. And had a good bit of fun along the way. T

I’d like to give the FOH team a big thank you for their efforts in putting this together. I would not want to be the one wrapping nearly 100 little PC’s with those little white bands! I personally ha

11 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Much more striking to me is that it seems to have become more important to "win the prize", than have some fun and share some camaraderie..... True, you paid your entry, you have your expectations.

Very well put. It isn't an Olympic sport (as much as some of us would like it to be). I entered this comp to learn something new and to have fun!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 10:38 AM, El Presidente said:

For the record, I haven't seen this as a major issue or anyone in particular having a crack. 

What occurred was from left field. HUPC were readily available at the time both here and around the world and it never even crossed my mind that there would be confusion.  The reality is that there has been confusion and that is my fault and it is up to me to rectify it as best I can. 

On the list of my screw ups for 2018, this doesn't rank in the top 100 and you are taking it far harder than I am! :D

Now, I haven't had a chance to give it much thought but off the top of my head.

1.  Everyone gets 0 for this round. 
  2. We record an asterix against those that got it correct and they can have their voucher. 
  3. On completion of the comp, If any of those 4 miss out on a win because of this faux pax , then I will put up an additional prize for them (for me to determine). 

I may have missed something but in this case the only one really out of pocket will be myself. 

I need to assess it a little further this evening when I am back. Outside of that, all good.  Tranquilo. 

let's run with the above. 

Apologies again.  Lisa isn't in tomorrow but I will ask her to tidy it all up on Monday and we will post when done. 

Thanks for your patience and input. I think we have got it right. 

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

More than anything else... It's about bragging rights. It's like a FIFA futbol friendly. You think when Argentina v Brazil play friendlies the players don't complain about the whistles or lack thereof cause it's a friendly? 

I didn't know how I was gonna do in this comp. There's only one first prize. So chances of winning that prize are small and you know that going in. But when you're 4/79 (5%) on a stick...I think that's fairly elite company and you wanna be able to brag about it a little. With the round not counting that celebration is slightly muted. We're now the *Barry Bonds of the blind taste test. Hahahahha! 

That being said, I think this new approach will work. As usual, Rob to the rescue and willing to take the L for the greater good of the group. Thank you for dousing the fire.

Now I just gotta go 2/2 the rest of the way. Good luck all.

• Like 1

Just now catching up on this and I will admit the discontinued nature of HUPC threw me off.  Regardless, this is El Prez’ competition so I’ll take my blows. It’s all in fun and testing our cigar palettes correct?  The whole time reading through this thread it made me think of how the term “kangaroo court” ever came to be and it may have originated from an FOH competition!  Good luck to everyone on number 4.  

I eliminated the HUPC as a possible choice as well, but I couldn't care less.  I'm having a blast, which is why I signed up in the first place (after missing last year's)!  Would I like to win it all (or even guess 1 correctly)...sure!  But, this matters not the least bit to me!  I'm a guest here and enjoying all the fruits of someone else's labour!  :peace:

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 5:38 PM, El Presidente said:

For the record, I haven't seen this as a major issue or anyone in particular having a crack. 

What occurred was from left field. HUPC were readily available at the time both here and around the world and it never even crossed my mind that there would be confusion.  The reality is that there has been confusion and that is my fault and it is up to me to rectify it as best I can. 

On the list of my screw ups for 2018, this doesn't rank in the top 100 and you are taking it far harder than I am! :D

Now, I haven't had a chance to give it much thought but off the top of my head.

1.  Everyone gets 0 for this round. 
  2. We record an asterix against those that got it correct and they can have their voucher. 
  3. On completion of the comp, If any of those 4 miss out on a win because of this faux pax , then I will put up an additional prize for them (for me to determine). 

I may have missed something but in this case the only one really out of pocket will be myself. 

I need to assess it a little further this evening when I am back. Outside of that, all good.  Tranquilo. 

In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty low on the screw up list. Hey this reminds me, so when is there going to be another test run of the new 24:24? :D

• Like 1

I was sure I knew what this cigar was as soon as I lit it. Everything about it was very familiar. After about ten minutes, the flavors changed into a completely different, yet also familiar cigar. I’m so confused. I guess I have three choices...base my pick off the initial flavors, off the final flavors, or go to the dart board. I’m guessing my greatest chance of success here is the dart board.

Oh, and for me, this was the best cigar yet. I think I already have a box or two of these, but if not, definitely worth a purchase.

I smoked this cigar last night with the usual Kentucky bourbon. It was really hot and humid where I am and it lead to the cigar going out once, but the construction was perfect and the draw just the way I like it so I'm blaming it on the moisture in the air. The cigar was very well rolled, had invisible seams and a nice uniform colorado claro wrapper. It smelled like hay and bread. From the first puff to the end it was a dominant bready note with the grass coming in and out. It was an absolute pleasure to smoke, I loved it. Medium bodied and milder on the strength, really great for the hot weather. The cigar was good until the very end and never got hot and I did not want to put it down. Definitely box worthy. My gut tells me I've had this flavor before, but the brand I'm thinking of is hit and miss in my experience. If they produced examples like this one more regularly I would add them to my rotation.

MVIMG_20180701_193421_1.jpg

light cream to start, lots of wood, toasted tobacco, a light citrus, coffee.

based on the vitola, i was looking for some other identifying flavors but couldnt find any.

toss up between 2 for me but we'll see if even either of those 2 are right.

Sent from my SM-G955N using Tapatalk

I can only speak for myself, but I signed up for this to have fun and, in the off chance, win a few bucks.

I'm 1 for 3 so far.   Smoking cigar #4 now.  

Still havin' fun! ;)

• Like 3