The next cigar trend....and why?

Habanos/Tabacuba will start producing plain packaged cigars maybe alongside existing packaging.

Only if it's done before it leaves Cuba can they hope to keep any security features/anti-counterfeit measures on the box, bar code, serial number etc.

I can understand why they'd fight it but all cigars were "plain-packaged" once and there were more smoked then than there are today.

That serial number will have to be traceable from factory to retailer. That expectation already exists from many jurisdictions but again, it will take Habanos a while.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm hoping the jaw breaker movement fizzles and we start seeing more Lonsdale and Lancero come on line.

Virtual cigars. (patent pending) Put on the specially crafted googles, insert the nose plugs/inhaler tube and away you go! Easier to store than real cigars that can become mouldy, have tobacco be

Since the current trend is bigger cigars...I say they go all in. Take The Woody for example. Who doesn't want a 21" 100rg stick?...Just think of how many bands they can fit on it!

I think we'll see history repeat itself.

From thick to thinner and long (and then back).

Hopefully the nazis will be defeated, and cigar freedom will once again shine brightly upon us all!

There seems to be a micro trend in aging tobacco in liquor barrels.

Cuba could be late for the party but hey! As supplies are limited Cuba is doing all they can to increase the profit margins per stick!

So we may be seeing some Cuban Rum barrel aged Partagas pretty soon me guess :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More 10 packs and possibly exclusive 5 pack presentation.  Tobacco keeps getting more expensive and 25 count box is not a financial reality in most markets.  Perhaps packaging that has more narrow regional focus beyond just a Regional band.  Commemorative  packaging is something that could emerge. 

• Like 1

Habanos goes the Apple route and produces products under the HABANOS brand because of long term brand recognition and loyalty. Produce all popular cigars under that one brand. 

Have a second line of special releases under old marcas at a huge markup.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, looseleaf said:

DNA testing will become available to determine whether you are susceptible to cancer from smoking or whether you can smoke with impunity

As more cigar smokers visit Cuba, the restroom facilities and other conditions for workers in the cigar factories will improve

Terroir will get greater emphasis

Optimistic, but i like it.

Whilst not wholly positive ?the next trend is TAX ?

Tobacconists are predicting that by 2030 Habanos will release flying cigars.  They will be LEs and the size of blimps and most will need a mortgage just to purchase one. People will be lining up.

Well, the cigar marketing machine seems to glorify what's new; even when they're appealing to the heritage of a certain brand or tobacco, it's always geared towards what's new and different.

To that end, I see a return of skinny cigars being fashionable. I remember in like '07 or '09 when lanceros were popular in the NC market. They were eventually supplanted by the fat ring gauges, a trend Cuba eventually picked up on.

If they want to stand out from the crowd, I predict a return to long n skinnies. I don't think most NC blends stand up well to the format (too much pepper, it seems like), but the Cuban blends certainly do!

Or maybe the industry starts calling a spade a "spade" and starts doing all volado rolls. Time will tell...

19 hours ago, Monterey said:

My guess/hope.  Robots take over working for us.  With so much free time on our hands we all have time to smoke "A's" and "Double Corona's" all day. 

It's already happening, and job loss will continue. I think other, life sustaining concerns will outweigh anything cigar related.

18 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

just as the finest wine in the world is no longer de-facto French.

For some (meaning me), it's been Italy for a long time.

But back to the initial question, I don't know that it will be a trend as much as wishful thinking, but I look forward to open competition (read end of the monopoly) in the production of Cuban cigars.

• Like 2

Over the past six months, I've seen a huge uptick in Cuban cigar interest from acquaintances who have never smoked cigars before.  I see parallels between this and the bourbon craze that started a few years ago in the states albeit not on the same level of demand.. yet.  My fear is that the demand for popular Cubans in the states will be so high that it will completely eliminate the attainable supply of cigars I enjoy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

The finest cigars in the world will no longer be de-facto Cuban, just as the finest wine in the world is no longer de-facto French.

Finest wines are no longer French?  When did this happen?  The most sought after producers are still from Bordeaux and Burgundy.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Monterey said:

North Koreans don't live in the United States.  The embargo is about appeasing cuban americans who vote in the swing state of Florida.

Yes but a read a good article about how the ratio of older cuban americans is changing. The jest of the article was the younger cuban americans don't care about upholding the embargo like the older generation does. Once the votes tilt in favor of the younger crowd....politicians are whores. They will develop positions based not on intellect or ideals, but on votes.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CigarmanTim said:

They will develop positions based not on intellect or ideals, but on votes.

It's been about votes from conception of our nation. 

Creating USA market Habanos will happen as soon as it can and quick.  Easy as a new Regional Edition cigar or releasing a new trademark's that are reserved already.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:19 PM, SenorPerfecto said:

Regular production quality will decline precipitously with the opening of the US market and Cuba growing seedlings on every square inch of soil to try to meet demands in the newly legal US market and the insatiable China and India markets.

Overall the reputation of the Cuban cigar will suffer, while growers in other regions continue to hone their craft.

The finest cigars in the world will no longer be de-facto Cuban, just as the finest wine in the world is no longer de-facto French.

TLDR: stock up on regular production— as much as you can store! And keep an open mind to tobacco from other places...

I would only add that cuban cigars will start becoming blends with other tobacco...

11 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

Well, all it takes is a solid blue Florida. Might be closer than you think. Young Cuban Americans are much more open to this idea than their (ageing, dying-off) parents...

Not to mention that autocratic regimes have a habit of imploding without warning and quite speedily.  Who predicted the Arab Spring even six months before it kicked off?  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

More 10 packs and possibly exclusive 5 pack presentation.  Tobacco keeps getting more expensive and 25 count box is not a financial reality in most markets.  Perhaps packaging that has more narrow regional focus beyond just a Regional band.  Commemorative  packaging is something that could emerge. 

I agree with the 5 pack presentation thing. I mean let's be honest, the Party E2 is a nice cigar but it's not a specialty stick. They've already started pushing those in 5 packs. 

With lack of amazing materials to go around... What's better marketing? One box of 25 amazing E2's or five boxes of amazing 5ers? Once you're familiar with the blend and you're hooked. Forget it. You'll buy the inferior looking cigars for the blend and forget the aesthetics.

More 5ers in our future I think.