The next cigar trend....and why?

16 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

...Ken, halp!

He’s far too busy wrestling bears to help you out, sir!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm hoping the jaw breaker movement fizzles and we start seeing more Lonsdale and Lancero come on line.

Virtual cigars. (patent pending) Put on the specially crafted googles, insert the nose plugs/inhaler tube and away you go! Easier to store than real cigars that can become mouldy, have tobacco be

Since the current trend is bigger cigars...I say they go all in. Take The Woody for example. Who doesn't want a 21" 100rg stick?...Just think of how many bands they can fit on it!

On 6/12/2018 at 4:51 PM, prodigy said:

I mean, we just made progress with North Korea, so I say anything is possible haha

Edicion Regional Corea de Norte? Model would be...Dictadores. And you had better like it or else. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 13/6/2018 at 10:39 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

Finest wines are no longer French?  When did this happen?  The most sought after producers are still from Bordeaux and Burgundy.

Yeah as far as the Chinese and other nouveaux rich go, but for those who know wine, we know better - I turned my back on Bordeaux/Burgundy years ago - and I've never looked back :lol: 

7 hours ago, Hookmaker said:

Yeah as far as the Chinese and other nouveaux rich go, but for those who know wine, we know better - I turned my back on Bordeaux/Burgundy years ago - and I've never looked back :lol: 

Where are the best wines in the world from?  Not saying the best wines you can now afford, but the absolute best wines?  Still Bordeaux and Burgundy.

Hard to dismiss wines from a big historic region and also hard to say unequivocally they are the best. With so many variables like with cigars it’s best just to enjoy and try different things as you figure out what works for you. It is a personal preference, not an absolute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:34 PM, SenorPerfecto said:

Well, all it takes is a solid blue Florida. Might be closer than you think. Young Cuban Americans are much more open to this idea than their (ageing, dying-off) parents...

Cuban Americans make up a small small percentage of Florida population. Turning the whole state Blue? Uh, Nope.

Unfortunately, I believe the trend to curtail cigar smoking will continue worldwide. We can forget about indoor smoking but outdoor smoking bans will continue to rise.  Watch and see when they tell me no more cigars on the golf course . Taxes will increase along with local and federal laws. 

Its a shit show and we’re all front row.

on a lighter side it’s Fathers Day And I will be enjoying some special cigars with my 2 sons and my father. Some of Robs best stock.

• Thanks 1

On 16-6-2018 at 10:32 AM, Hookmaker said:

To each their own - can't really recall have drunk better than these two bottles below - but please enlighten me as to much better New world wines. I am always open to learn.

Btw smoked a Monte #2 from 1998 with them.

CIMG_2324.thumb.JPG.95f147399a7ad72e5ee6af69d037f487.JPGIMG_2328.thumb.JPG.64f5bbd3b0a8b598ad86cb86b7695811.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

2 hours ago, RijkdeGooier said:

To each their own - can't really recall have drunk better than these two bottles below - but please enlighten me as to much better New world wines. I am always open to learn.

Btw smoked a Monte #2 from 1998 with them.

CIMG_2324.thumb.JPG.95f147399a7ad72e5ee6af69d037f487.JPGIMG_2328.thumb.JPG.64f5bbd3b0a8b598ad86cb86b7695811.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

Sure nice bottle line there ( I don’t follow Bordeaux vintages any more), however as with anything else it’s a personal taste and purse size. For the price of those two I’d buy a case of (debatably of course) equally great CdP any day.

19 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Cuban Americans make up a small small percentage of Florida population. Turning the whole state Blue? Uh, Nope.

Especially with the tax laws in FL.

What a world we live in where in the same breath we are discussing banning tobacco, and legalizing pot.

It seems like we have crossed over into the bizzaro world.

My Prediction;

Pot will be legalized in the majority of the world, leading to major medical breakthroughs, and marijuana cigarettes will displace tobacco cigarettes. All tobacco sales will plummet and Cuba will start commercially producing marijuana within the next 5-7 years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

What a world we live in where in the same breath we are discussing banning tobacco, and legalizing pot. emoji44.png

It seems like we have crossed over into the bizzaro world.

My Prediction;

Pot will be legalized in the majority of the world, leading to major medical breakthroughs, and marijuana cigarettes will displace tobacco cigarettes. All tobacco sales will plummet and Cuba will start commercially producing marijuana within the next 5-7 years. emoji44.pngemoji38.pngemoji12.png

It's funny because smoking marijuana is just as bad for you. Any smoke you're inhaling and letting sit in your lungs for periods of time is going to produce a negative effect over time. 

23 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Where are the best wines in the world from?

Piemonte! (someone in MA actually has / had a BAROLO license plate :)

That aside, I do think great pinots to be some of the world's finest wines. But over the years, I've gone away from cab and merlot regardless of origin.

4 hours ago, RijkdeGooier said:

but please enlighten me as to much better New world wines. I am always open to learn.

I don't think you need to go new world.

:)

And yes, I'm fully aware all of this is not related to the next cigar trend, but discussions do meander... :wink2:

3 hours ago, Hookmaker said:

Sure nice bottle line there ( I don’t follow Bordeaux vintages any more), however as with anything else it’s a personal taste and purse size. For the price of those two I’d buy a case of (debatably of course) equally great CdP any day.

Which one would you buy? I am curious, as anyone I am aware of the cost/reward ratio and wouldn't mind switching to better at a fraction of the cost.

Maybe @Ken Gargett has any suggestions?

Which one would you buy? I am curious, as anyone I am aware of the cost/reward ratio and wouldn't mind switching to better at a fraction of the cost.

Maybe [mention=9]Ken Gargett[/mention] has any suggestions?

How about giving this its own thread?

Maybe [mention=9]Ken Gargett[/mention] has any suggestions?

Oh, I’m all in for a separate thread, and I certainly never meant to displease any of our viewers with negativity towards those two fine districts, but as I said I moved away from Bordeaux and Bourgogne 25 years ago, partly appauled by the skyrocketing of prices due to shortsale to rich Chinese, but mostly because of the bright lights that suddenly started shining elsewhere.  As you mention [mention=9]Ken Gargett[/mention] I am big in Australian wine also, and incidentally this is a gem from last night - if you can find it.

2567a9131799d4482f75bd1bc8bab668.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 7:34 PM, GWG said:

I would only add that cuban cigars will start becoming blends with other tobacco...

As long as Cubatabaco exists this won't happen. Cuban tobacco production would need to be completely privatized for raw leaf to be sold to private parties. Interestingly, the vast majority of the cigars sold in the US pre-embargo were US-rolled with Cuban leaf. The US market for Cuban puros was very limited. Cuba sold most of its leaf to the US. The US was working hard to find a substitute for Cuban wrapper as it it's the most expensive part and after 1900 much of the leaf used was Sumatra and Connecticut. 

If the industry was completely privatized it would be very interesting to see what happens though. Obviously the production infrastructure in the US has vanished and moved to Central America. 

Just now, Derboesekoenig said:

It's funny because smoking marijuana is just as bad for you. Any smoke you're inhaling and letting sit in your lungs for periods of time is going to produce a negative effect over time. 

Technically true, but the volume of smoke ingested is much smaller in a joint than it is in a cigarette. One or two hits of a joint vs. 15-20 in a cigarette, and multiply that by however many cigarettes one smokes in a day. And there are also harmful chemicals used in processing the cigarette tobacco that aren't found in marijuana. One can also use a vaporizer for marijuana to avoid smoke intake. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 6:42 AM, SenorPerfecto said:

...Ken, halp!

i think one can argue that there is a difference between finest and most sought after but a fine line. and usually they line up. 

in general, i think france still rules - especially with the great burgundies and the great champagnes. not much sits with the best of them. less convinced that bordeaux has the field to itself. still makes some of the greatest but a much more crowded field these days. 

for me, not so much that france has slipped. more that others around the world have improved so much. but other regions have long had certain great wines - riesling from germany, fortifieds from portugal and spain and barolo. then we have the new world and more and more fantastic wines. we had a 1962 Hill of Grace from Henschke a few days ago. hard to imagine that there are many wines from 62 anywhere in the world looking that spectacular. 

as for the two bordeaux in the pics, if i have the right pic, interesting comparison. i would expect both to be superb wines. 09 considered a far better vintatge than 04 but lafite is always one of the greatest. not that angelus is a dud. but at the prices of both would likely send me elsewhere if i was paying. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Piemonte! (someone in MA actually has / had a BAROLO license plate :)

That aside, I do think great pinots to be some of the world's finest wines. But over the years, I've gone away from cab and merlot regardless of origin.

I bet that guy is pretty cool and has good taste.

29 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I bet that guy is pretty cool and has good taste.

i've seen a BAROLO here as well as MERLOT, HUNTER, KRUG and a few others. MERLOT was a winemaker from Pepper Tree. like to know who has KRUG. 

as for moving to pinot, ditto here. and you see so many winelovers do exactly that. 

The future... hmm let's see.

Cigars will become the next opium in China.

Cigars will get smaller to help mask the rising inflation and costs and keeping production up with rising demand. This also coincides with the tragedy of 2024 whereby a man choked on a Siglo 6.

The overall quality of fakes will improve to satisfy the increasing market and skyrocketing price of non cuban premiums. Padron and Fuente decide to invest in state of the art research, self humidifying tobacco leaves that up the cost of production by 3x.

Cigars become the new symbol for the #metoo movement and feminism as a whole.

California bans smoking in/on your own personal property in addition to all public places, citing the ravaging deaths caused by second hand smoke. With no where left to smoke, Whole Foods will capitalize on the mystic. Only cigars to be found in state will be edible cigars wrapped in kale and packed with carrots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think no date boxes. Hell no real packaging will be the next thing. And the Cuban LE will be the only things with date codes associated to them.

Why? No idea. Can control some markets of vintage stuff I reckon.