Best Sports Books?

Webbo

On the back of Ken’s best cricket book thread I thought it would be interesting to ask for recommendations for best sports book in general. I think some of the greatest writing ever done is about sport and I am always on the look out for recommendations. What I like is that it does not really matter what the sport is, if the writing is good it draws you in even if you are not a fan. So what is your favourite sports book??

On that note my nomination is “McIlvanney on Boxing” which is actually a collection of newspaper reports on big fights by the Sunday Times writer. Possibly the best sports reporter of all time some of the reports of fights are incredible but the chapter on the tragic last fight of the shy and introverted Welsh Bantamweight Jonney Owen is worth the price alone with McIlvanney concluding his heartfelt piece with the desperately sad and poignant summary...

“Outside the ring he was an inaudible and almost invisible personality. Inside, he became astonishingly positive and self-assured. He seemed to be more at home there than anywhere else. It is his tragedy that he found himself articulate in such a dangerous language”.

I really enjoyed 'In Black and White' by Donald McRae. Its a biography of Joe Louis and Jesse Owens. It covers their friendship but also a contrast of how their own personal lives and careers unfolded at a difficult time for each sport.

Seabiscuit, by Laura Hillenbrand   

Seabiscuit was one of the most electrifying and popular attractions in sports history and the single biggest newsmaker in the world in 1938, receiving more coverage than FDR, Hitler, or Mussolini. But his success was a surprise to the racing establishment, which had written off the crooked-legged racehorse with the sad tail. 

• 2 months later...