The rise of the conscious machines

“Take off your smart watch now”

I have a dumb watch. It has a big hand and a little hand.  It won’t be eradicating the human race anytime soon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe you should just buy the pills/timeshares/Nigerian Princes Ken is offering you and see if it is spam after all...

Could be the start of a magical friendship!

Just now, FatherOfPugs said:

Quite interesting isn't it!  I really like that show.

AI, machines gathering data unbeknownst to us, this is why I will never have a Smart TV, no Amazon Echo, no Google Home, nope, no passive listening devices for this household. And, my wife and I disable all passive listening on our smartphones.

Me too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Quite interesting isn't it!  I really like that show.

AI, machines gathering data unbeknownst to us, this is why I will never have a Smart TV, no Amazon Echo, no Google Home, nope, no passive listening devices for this household. And, my wife and I disable all passive listening on our smartphones.

True this.

If I need Alexa to do something for me I'll turn her and and ask.

Don't need her listening to anything and everything going on just to easily call her immediately for something trivial.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The age of machines with consciousness has arrived.  They appear capable of remarkably accurate judgements of character. 

I think individual humans are just more simple in terms of taste than it appears. I think it's more a function of the amount and quality of data able to be collected and sold these days--TV shows watched, online purchases made, internet searches--the algorithms for isolating these patterns are fairly straightforward. I think if a human were up to it, it could probably make these determinations with enough time--at least for one person.

Now, real AI, when the so-called singularity is reached (AI more intelligent than the most intelligent human) is an interesting concept that's decades away. But only decades. I think most of us will live to see it. And it's also interesting that some very, very bright people are afraid of it. I've given it some thought, but not a lot. One would think the developers of such AI would realize it's risks and take measures to protect us from it. An entity with such incredible intelligence is a fascinating concept. It's so intelligent it can increase it's own intelligence. We're talking about virtually unlimited intelligence, and practical sentience. 

I think perhaps it will result in either the destruction of humanity or the exponential advancement of humanity. And it could only be 20-30 years away.

Whoa.

My new coffee maker has a mind of its own.  And, it has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  The thing is constantly cleaning itself.  

Which wouldnt be a bad thing if I didnt have to constantly refill the water compartment because of it.

15 hours ago, El Presidente said:

We have been warned by Elon Musk and Professor Stephen Hawking that one of the greatest risks to the survival of the human race is the unchecked advancement of Artificial Intelligence. 

I have always assumed that meant that one day your smartphone is giving you map directions and the next day it has decided to call in a drone strike.  All very "Terminator" and I had given it no thought. 

Until now. 

Since Monday the 18th of June 0700 hours, my laptop has taken the decision to classify all Ken emails as spam.   I have unblocked Ken, i have put ken on my whitelist (laptop and phone)...all to no avail. All electronic devices will now only recognise him as spam.  Worse, it is spreading to other computers in the office. 

The age of machines with consciousness has arrived.  They appear capable of remarkably accurate judgements of character. 

Take off your smartwatch now ;)

Stephen Hawking allegedly threw a party for time travelers, giving invitations out the day after the event--no one showed up.  That includes robots, mind you, so best argument against the singularity I've ever heard. 

The post above about data mining algorithms is accurate. 

The real promise of true AI is the ability to create  (not interpolate) real data that fills gaps in existing data. This is now being done in some science and engineering disciplines. 

Soon the Healthcare industry will be creating customized, lifetime treatment plans for patients based on their DNA mapping. No more 'one med fits all'. AI is a key component of how this is being developed. The technology already exists and is being refined / trialled. 

Big Al 

Ooh, I love a science joke...

Two atoms are in a bar, one says "Ouch!"

The other says "What's up?"

"I've just lost an electron"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm positive"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I think individual humans are just more simple in terms of taste than it appears. I think it's more a function of the amount and quality of data able to be collected and sold these days--TV shows watched, online purchases made, internet searches--the algorithms for isolating these patterns are fairly straightforward. I think if a human were up to it, it could probably make these determinations with enough time--at least for one person.

Now, real AI, when the so-called singularity is reached (AI more intelligent than the most intelligent human) is an interesting concept that's decades away. But only decades. I think most of us will live to see it. And it's also interesting that some very, very bright people are afraid of it. I've given it some thought, but not a lot. One would think the developers of such AI would realize it's risks and take measures to protect us from it. An entity with such incredible intelligence is a fascinating concept. It's so intelligent it can increase it's own intelligence. We're talking about virtually unlimited intelligence, and practical sentience. 

I think perhaps it will result in either the destruction of humanity or the exponential advancement of humanity. And it could only be 20-30 years away.

Whoa.

Well hell, another reason to begin smoking through our carefully hoarded stocks of cigars now and not later.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 7:39 PM, El Presidente said:

We have been warned by Elon Musk and Professor Stephen Hawking that one of the greatest risks to the survival of the human race is the unchecked advancement of Artificial Intelligence. 

I have always assumed that meant that one day your smartphone is giving you map directions and the next day it has decided to call in a drone strike.  All very "Terminator" and I had given it no thought. 

Until now. 

Since Monday the 18th of June 0700 hours, my laptop has taken the decision to classify all Ken emails as spam.   I have unblocked Ken, i have put ken on my whitelist (laptop and phone)...all to no avail. All electronic devices will now only recognise him as spam.  Worse, it is spreading to other computers in the office. 

Take off your smartwatch now ;)

Are you sure this isn't just an excellent example of machine learning?

Kidding aside, who is your email provider? If it's Office 365 I know a guy...

I read a news snippet on Facebook, and if it was true, it reported that some tech company immediately shut down its A.I. section because two of the "beings" there had created its own encrypted language and were talking to each other:  Also Consumer Reports magazine about 3 months ago advised that indeed your SMART TV, while you're watching it IS indeed watching YOU! But that is just for knowing what ads to save and show you based on what you watch. Could and can lead to other things, no doubt.

9 hours ago, cigcars said:

I read a news snippet on Facebook, and if it was true, it reported that some tech company immediately shut down its A.I. section because two of the "beings" there had created its own encrypted language and were talking to each other:  Also Consumer Reports magazine about 3 months ago advised that indeed your SMART TV, while you're watching it IS indeed watching YOU! But that is just for knowing what ads to save and show you based on what you watch. Could and can lead to other things, no doubt.

If you read it on Facebook, it has to be true......:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, TBird55 said:

If you read it on Facebook, it has to be true......:rolleyes:

*Yeah that's why I told you where I go the info just in case anybody else may have seen the article or be able to verify whether authentic or "made up" by ne're-do-wells!

18 hours ago, cigcars said:

This was debunked,  trash tabloid (aka the sun) reporting,  it was a Facebook ai setup asking two ai creations to barter in shorthand. It was closed down as the conversation was also intended to be usable by humans chatting with the ai modules and it went sideways.  Nothing sinister just a failed experiment.

When you read anything on Facebook that rings your wtf alarm,  Google (other search engines are available)  is your friend. 

• Thanks 1