FOH: A Week In Pictures.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent the weekend away in Canberra, the national capital city of Australia, to celebrate my 24th Wedding Anniversary with my wife... We went into Parliament House and took some photos in

SOUUeeeeee!!!! What a pig out of San Diego!!! We were using WAY too light of gear for this 220# bluefin this morning and it KICKED our asses for 5 hours. 

Happy Birthday Dad. 88 and you are a dead set legend. Love you dearly.   

11 hours ago, havanaclub said:


Beautiful views! Crazy the altitude and climate/temperature change just 45 mins away.
Btw nice Sweater emoji6.png


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you brought the sweater up, we have been wanting to go back to Whistler for the last 2 seasons, but Canada wouldn't let us in.  I think that has changed now?  Or no?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

As long as you brought the sweater up, we have been wanting to go back to Whistler for the last 2 seasons, but Canada wouldn't let us in.  I think that has changed now?  Or no?

As far as I know vaccinated Americans can visit Canada since around October I think.

Omicron might conceivably throw a wrench in the works but I doubt it. The main risk was back when it hadn't spread yet. Now that it's everywhere it would be totally pointless.

Anyways here's the government website:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bijan said:

As far as I know vaccinated Americans can visit Canada since around October I think.

Omicron might conceivably throw a wrench in the works but I doubt it. The main risk was back when it hadn't spread yet. Now that it's everywhere it would be totally pointless.

Anyways here's the government website:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start

Thanks.  I thought I heard something about it changing.  When you travel in a group of 5 people, you have to plan everything far in advance.  If I do make arrangements, hopefully they don't revert back and screw me up right before my trip is supposed to happen.  I have been wanting to do a Swiss Alps trip one of these years too, but haven't for the same reason. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2021 at 10:54 PM, SigmundChurchill said:

Every winter I take my family on a ski trip.  Most often, Vail or Aspen, but occasionally Canada.  This year we decided to try somewhere we have not been before, so we went to Breckenridge, CO, about 45 minutes from Vail.  We are having a great time, but I think this one trip is enough.

We took a day trip to Vail today, figuring we couldn't bare the thought of being so close to Vail without skiing there for at least a day.  All it did was remind us why we should have just gone to Vail again instead of trying somewhere new.  Breckenridge has a beautiful, quaint downtown which is very nice.  Main Street is like an old fashioned American Main Street, that looks remarkably like "Main Street USA" at Disneyworld.  Vail is a Swiss-style ski village, also quaint, and also Disney-like in it's own way, but the difference is, if you are in Vail village, you are also right at the main gondola, while at Breckenridge you have to decide whether you want to stay near Main Street OR by the slopes.

Also, the altitude is noticeably higher in Breckenridge.  There are Breckenridge shirts that say "Got Oxygen?" in all the tourist shops.  (That's a satirical take on the "Got Milk?" commercials we have here in the US). 

I find myself having to catch my breath going down a challenging run, or...bending over to tie my shoe, or...standing completely still.  It also negatively impacts the cigar smoking experience.  There is not enough oxygen to keep the cigar lit, so you start puffing on it more frequently, but you are not inhaling.  So you are taking an already oxygen starved body and depriving it even more of oxygen while you are puffing away trying to keep the cigar lit, and next thing you know, you are completely out of breath.  

On our day trip to Vail today, we all noticed how much easier it is to breath.  And it is at least 10 degrees warmer.  If I had known in the planning stage that the nickname for Breckenridge, was Brecken-fridge, I might have altered my plans.

All that aside, we are still having a great time.  After all, we could all be at work or in school right now.

1C4E2FDC-C107-4D2B-B5D8-75F3ABDE55A8_1_201_a.jpeg.deae3c55f9f7abd096e04b03417bce30.jpeg

Christmas dinner at a Swiss restaurant.

C57CA386-045D-45A5-8CC0-F13AD5B9A390_1_201_a.jpeg.5e0d0472f2152be7253ed27c70d4bfd4.jpeg

48C77BD7-B8D6-4CD2-AD9C-859C5ED867E5_1_201_a.jpeg.ba02c23cd33e1a4fba1db7807c017ae5.jpeg

Their absinthe setup.

CD12F583-DB82-4D8B-8DB3-8B3A66212EAA_1_201_a.jpeg.adbf103f17d0d356c5c9f1f376a5655e.jpeg

FF708183-1911-4BB5-A2BF-F6D5C493CCF2_1_201_a.jpeg.6652ebc7b2ef3873897108d3c68977a7.jpeg

Our day at Vail.

79BD4A6F-AE50-4791-8266-50B25C17602F.jpeg.94af8ab2a8a3d00b3cb838c4c842d208.jpeg

EF8EFB9A-14AC-4386-AE09-165B543DC3C6.jpeg.642a119f77e698b662a49d46546f511b.jpeg

9BD90FBC-4874-405B-A6F8-E3B17A2306E5.jpeg.9171c3c9ebe0ce0038abbc8904958b76.jpeg

1739CE93-A382-4FFE-86A6-85A2D0774781.jpeg.6de8bc8c212725b12c7e8dbd6b7bce88.jpeg

My wife and I joke that for many people, including many or our good friends, there is only one place to ski in the US and that is Vail! I totally get it! You should check out Steamboat if you’re ever looking to switch it up again. I’ve been fortunate to ski just about every major resort in the US and many places around the world and we love Steamboat - so much so we just bought a condo there. Steamboat is undergoing a pretty major expansion to make the base feel more like Vail, Alterra is looking to make it their official flagship resort. United even has a direct flight from EWR now into Hayden/Steamboat.

As of right now it is still a bit of a “Main Street” type of thing 5 min away from the mountain, but great restaurants and lower elevation than even Vail. Anything above Steamboat - even at Vail - I rent an oxygen machine for my room to suck on the first couple of days…really helps. We head out next week to Steamboat for three weeks…my son is barely 3 so we can still get away with that!! Looks like a great trip your family had. 👍🏻

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SigmundChurchill said:

 I have been wanting to do a Swiss Alps trip one of these years too, but haven't for the same reason. 

Covid has been screwing up me visiting CH (friends and family) for some time.  I am going this year no matter what! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

My wife and I joke that for many people, including many or our good friends, there is only one place to ski in the US and that is Vail! I totally get it! You should check out Steamboat if you’re ever looking to switch it up again. I’ve been fortunate to ski just about every major resort in the US and many places around the world and we love Steamboat - so much so we just bought a condo there. Steamboat is undergoing a pretty major expansion to make the base feel more like Vail, Alterra is looking to make it their official flagship resort. United even has a direct flight from EWR now into Hayden/Steamboat.

As of right now it is still a bit of a “Main Street” type of thing 5 min away from the mountain, but great restaurants and lower elevation than even Vail. Anything above Steamboat - even at Vail - I rent an oxygen machine for my room to suck on the first couple of days…really helps. We head out next week to Steamboat for three weeks…my son is barely 3 so we can still get away with that!! Looks like a great trip your family had. 👍🏻

Thank you.  Steamboat is a mountain that is always on the list.  My wife used to go there with her family as a teenager, but I have never been.

And 3 years old is the perfect time to start skiing.  Congrats!  That is when I learned, as well as my wife, and all of my kids.  

And if this comes to fruition about creating a Vail-like village there, buying a property there might be a good investment opportunity.  I will look into it.

Thanks again!

P.S.  Is that direct United flight every day of the week?  Or is it just certain days?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Thank you.  Steamboat is a mountain that is always on the list.  My wife used to go there with her family as a teenager, but I have never been.

And 3 years old is the perfect time to start skiing.  Congrats!  That is when I learned, as well as my wife, and all of my kids.  

And if this comes to fruition about creating a Vail-like village there, buying a property there might be a good investment opportunity.  I will look into it.

Thanks again!

P.S.  Is that direct United flight every day of the week?  Or is it just certain days?

That was part of my logic, Steamboat real estate is still relatively reasonable compared to say Vail and with some growth it might just appreciate a bit. And with low property taxes in Colorado I can rent it out Xmas/NYE and Presidents weekend and cover all of my overhead. 

Pretty amazing he just turned 3 in December and can already ski and snowboard pretty well (albeit I keep him on a leash!). I learned at that age as well…my wife learned at 30. Luckily she is pretty determined! 

I believe the EWR flight to Steamboat is every Saturday with some Sunday flights. I live in South Florida and Jet Blue also now has a new direct flight from Ft. Lauderdale on Wed/Sat…..that also played into my decision to pull the trigger on a place out there. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 5:16 PM, El Presidente said:

Dinner propped. Time to read the paper.

You’re drinking a Negroni without me?

 

14 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Another SpaceX launch this week.

 

Third this month. Starlink coming soon...

If Peter finds out about this he’ll be camped out at your door step

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Goodfortune said:

Looks great! Where is this at? 

Scarborough western Australia ... fourth day in a row of 40 degree Celsius ....so hot 🔥

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2021 at 8:13 PM, El Presidente said:

At.my brothers farm. Frogs coming out.

just saw this. how absolutely brilliant. 

 

50 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Touch cloudy but in need of a swim

put your big boy speedos on and go to the surf. this is for toddlers and grannies and pregnant women (something we should know?). 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

 

put your big boy speedos on and go to the surf. this is for toddlers and grannies and pregnant women (something we should know?). 

Now you are in trouble.

 

That is where I drop Di off. Showing her now. 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.