FOH: A Week In Pictures.

14 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

No, I am an Anesthesiologist.  Here in the US, intensive care is a sub-specialty of Anesthesiology.  

And since basically the entire hospital is now an ICU for COVID patients, we dont have nearly enough Intensive Care docs to cover all the patients, so the anesthesiologists are treating them.  This is not just in my hospital, but in all of the ones that are overrun with COVID patients.  After all, there are only emergency surgeries anyway, so they dont need us in the operating rooms.

We commandeered these Stryker space suits from the orthopedic department.  We retrofitted the air intake with hepa filters, and we wear them when we intubate covid patients.  Intubating these patients is extremely dangerous for both the doctor and the patient.  We are right in the mouth, and the process of intubating aerosolizes the virus, so we wear these suits and make everybody else leave the room and we close the door, in case the patient coughs during the intubation.  

It is dangerous for the patient because we dont mask ventilate them.  Mask ventilating them REALLY aerosolizes the virus.  The entire room would be filled with virus within a minute or two.  So we have no way of getting oxygen into the patient after we paralyze the patient.  We have to find the vocal cords and get the tube in quickly before the patient dies.  Strange times we are in.

Those Strykers space suits look great. I am glad you have those. I am rhinologist and we have now cancelled allmost all of  our surgeries because of the risk aerosolizing the virus.

COVID sucks.

Stay safe and healthy my colleague!

• Thanks 1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great wedding weekend! My dad turns 90 in July, my mum 85 this year. They danced away until closing time.  Ben and Hattie were magnificent. My youngest Brother Rick (left) went "to town

Had a good fall steelhead trip recently. Went 13 for 13 on steelhead in 2 and a half days. Excellent weather! The young angler James was successful as well!

Went to Cuba, smoked good cigars, ate good food, saw cool stuff.

3 hours ago, smitte3 said:

Great start to the weekend.

IMG_0233.jpg

Love this pairing! PN is my new favorite rum.

Difficult to obtain unless on the island or from a friend visiting (looking at you Dr. Guano).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SigmundChurchill said:

D69B15D1-3628-484D-80F4-0C984FA5379D.thumb.jpeg.eece7955374b3546c2098ce2746fc267.jpeg

Tell him not to worry, it will grow back ?

Actually, you did a fine job there.  Good thing you went back a second time.  

• Like 2

Tried to groom our last dog. Didn't work out so well.

I use the shears to trim my beard. At least I did until the lockdown. I'll be full ZZ Top with a ponytail by the time this moves past to any degree!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

Tried to groom our last dog. Didn't work out so well.

I use the shears to trim my beard. At least I did until the lockdown. I'll be full ZZ Top with a ponytail by the time this moves past to any degree!

Beards are sneaky, they grow on you ?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...