The first family car driven by your dad (that you can remember).

1 hour ago, SMQQKIN said:

1970 RR with a 440. That's a beast & worth a lot of $$$ now. I hope your Dad took you out & showed you how to do a proper burn out.

Indeed he did, not that I could reach the pedals! 

He also had a Blue 1970 Plymouth Superbird, which was my personal favorite but he sold it a while back and got a nice sum of cash for that one.

• Like 1

Mercedes Benz 180 - back in the early sixties it took 3 days to drive from central Germany to Spain ....

Still see like 4-5 of them in Havana every day... :-)

Mercedes-Benz_180_B_1961.jpg.e0842c867a111e4dab6aa7e008de6128.jpg

• Like 3

The first I can recall is a 1979 Ford LTD:

A1BEEA31-525D-40E1-90EA-901C86CFF9E3.jpeg.a16d94e706afc0ee535daad77179bf8e.jpeg

Red on Red leather/vinyl/whatever slick skin was used back then. I remember, because somebody left a black ball point pen within reach and I gladly used to turn the backseat into my personal canvas.  I'll never forget the look on my Dad's face at the discovery. 

• Like 1

1969 Oldsmobile Toronado. It's not the first car I remember but is the first one I was aware of. All sorts of things about this model. Ahead if it's time, they say. Front wheel drive was unusual at the time. Front wheel drive with a huge V8 was nuts and the cars had loads of front end problems. I think the old man said it got 8 miles a gallon.

29528430001_large.jpg

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

Red ‘76 Olds Cutlass Supreme with white vinyl top. Living in Texas, touching any part of the car during the summer resulted in burns.

09-08-2012-037.jpg

After the Vega's engine imploded, my dad got one of these in white.  It lasted a year or two before he pulled the car over on the highway to discipline us for fighting. He sideswiped the underpass pylons while he was looking back at us and pulling over.  That was the most quiet drive home ever.

Next was the brown 1978 Chevy Malibu Station wagon.  That one lasted the longest as the family car.

I’m a little younger than Nino but I also remember our summer trips from Germany down to Spain for camping holidays.

The first car I remember was a cow pad green Opel Rekord, just like the one below. No AC and my dad hated the draft if we rolled down the window, no idea how we survived sitting in the back seat for two days/1900km! On top of that my dad would smoke his pipe while driving and mom loved cigarettes - ah, childhood in the early 80’s!

3A808B60-DF12-4942-8F1F-BB16453AE6B7.jpeg

We got here June 8th, 1980. 18 hours on a shrimping boat from Port to Port. Mariel Harbor to Key West, FL. We spent 28 days in refugee camps and finally settled down in Newark, NJ with my aunt. A month after we got here my dad had a job, we had our own apartment, and a few weeks later he had this thing... From what he recalls the engine block gasket was leaky and it ran hot but from owning nothing in Cuba, to some new freedoms. Including our 1974/75 Ford Gran Torino. Ours was a little greener than this one but we were on our way. 

ia0711-112236_1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KnightsAnole said:

I remember I lost a snake in this car while driving home from school. I just couldn’t keep the shoebox closed. Mom wouldn’t drive it for weeks after... looked just like this:

1976 cougar XR7

i did exactly that as well. i thought i'd scare my sister with it. apparently telling your parents that it was only very mildly poisonous is not a mitigating factor. 

• Like 1