Ken Gargett

Pappy Van Winkle prices

Bourbon by definition describes the mash bill, must be at least 51% corn, so it can be distilled anywhere, and there are some deviations on bourbon:
1) Bourbon, by law, must be aged in a brand-new, charred white oak barrel to be called straight bourbon whiskey—that means, a barrel can only be used once for bourbon.
2) Nothing can be added to bourbon in the distilling process except water. So, that means that all the flavor comes from the charred oak barrels.
3) The angel's share. By law, bourbon must be aged in barrels for at least two years. As bourbon is "sleeping " in the barrel, it loses some to evaporation every year and that's called the "angel's share." A sign at the Buffalo Trace distillery explains why: "Because we like to think it is the bit of bourbon we are sharing with the angels."
To be a Kentucky Straight Bourbon it has to meet certain requirements including the above, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, it has to be aged at least 4 years for the designation.
To be called bourbon it also has to be distilled in the United States

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Bourbon by definition describes the mash bill, must be at least 51% corn, so it can be distilled anywhere, and there are some deviations on bourbon:

1) Bourbon, by law, must be aged in a brand-new, charred white oak barrel to be called straight bourbon whiskeythat means, a barrel can only be used once for bourbon.

2) Nothing can be added to bourbon in the distilling process except water. So, that means that all the flavor comes from the charred oak barrels.

3) The angel's share. By law, bourbon must be aged in barrels for at least two years. As bourbon is "sleeping " in the barrel, it loses some to evaporation every year and that's called the "angel's share." A sign at the Buffalo Trace distillery explains why: "Because we like to think it is the bit of bourbon we are sharing with the angels."

To be a Kentucky Straight Bourbon it has to meet certain requirements including the above, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, it has to be aged at least 4 years for the designation.

Slight correction- Anything under 2 years cannot be called a “straight bourbon whiskey”. The term “straight bourbon whiskey” is when the spirits reaches and exceeds 2 years in the barrel.

And 4 years to be a “bottled-in-bond”..with a few other requirements. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a great selection, including Van Winkle 10, Blanton’s, the others above etc.

My favorite is Eagle Rare, not caring how much any of them cost.

Cheers!

CB

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bpm32 said:

Yeah, especially popular too quickly. I like the fact that there are so many distilleries  popping up everywhere, but it’s all young whiskey sold at insane prices.

Couldn't agree more.  Young whiskey, usually not very good, at crazy prices.  I see new offerings almost weekly here in Colorado and unfortunately most are not very good. 

Man am I glad I have but one vice and the Happy Meal has remained a reliable staple!!! -LOL

-Piggy

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2018 at 12:44 PM, PigFish said:

Man am I glad I have but one vice and the Happy Meal has remained a reliable staple!!! -LOL

-Piggy

Wait until minimum wage hit $15/hr...that Happy Meal will cost you $19.99...and no straw for the drink...

The 15 is actually priced below present market price considering conversion rates

On 7/27/2018 at 7:22 AM, ShortFatHokie said:

Wait until minimum wage hit $15/hr...that Happy Meal will cost you $19.99...and no straw for the drink...

... I will bet that the kiosk will get the order right more often than not! -tP

• Like 1

Years ago I was buying bottles of pappy 15 for 45 dollars a bottle wholesale from the owner of the store I worked at the time. Times sure have changed.