Bourbon query

Ken Gargett

i know there are lots of thoughts on bourbons and rums on this site (and more) but i have a query seeking thoughts on woodford reserve. most comments i've seen are positive. i have always been a fan. their standard has the batch number on each bottle and for reasons i never worked out, i was sent one of the bottles from the very first batch as a sample. always thought it exceeded everything else i have seen from them but not uncommon for the first batch to be stellar - gets people in.6

that said, i've never been disappointed by woodford. 

what i am interested in is their master's collection. anyone any thoughts, greatly appreciated. i've never tried it. worth the extra? 

• Like 1

Just now, rguinn said:

The two I’ve had (white corn and brandy cast) were seriously overrated for the price. Have you tried their double oak? It’s my favorite of the woodford lineup. 

double oak certainly appeals. the one i have not is this masters collection. appreciate the feedback. 

No problem. Let us know if you find one you like. I’m certainly willing to give them another go, but probably not on my dime. At the moment Maker’s 46 is hitting the spot as a daily sipper. My special treat is currently Elijah Craig 18. Pricy but absolutely delicious. 

1 minute ago, rguinn said:

No problem. Let us know if you find one you like. I’m certainly willing to give them another go, but probably not on my dime. At the moment Maker’s 46 is hitting the spot as a daily sipper. My special treat is currently Elijah Craig 18. Pricy but absolutely delicious. 

i think we only get elijah craig small batch and 12 year old. both high $70s. 

• JohnS changed the title to Bourbon query

Is the 12 yr barrel proof or the regular 93 proof? They stopped selling the 93 proof a couple of yrs ago in the States. It was very good for the price. The barrel proof is also excellent and comes out about 4-5 times a year here. Very strong and a bit spicy of course but you can water down to taste. Tons of flavor...

The new(er) small batch is ok but probably only about 7 yrs old with a NAS. 

2 minutes ago, rguinn said:

Is the 12 yr barrel proof or the regular 93 proof? They stopped selling the 93 proof a couple of yrs ago in the States. It was very good for the price. The barrel proof is also excellent and comes out about 4-5 times a year here. Very strong and a bit spicy of course but you can water down to taste. Tons of flavor...

The new(er) small batch is ok but probably only about 7 yrs old with a NAS. 

does not specify as far as i can see. let you know if i can find out more. 

11 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i know there are lots of thoughts on bourbons and rums on this site (and more) but i have a query seeking thoughts on woodford reserve. most comments i've seen are positive. i have always been a fan. their standard has the batch number on each bottle and for reasons i never worked out, i was sent one of the bottles from the very first batch as a sample. always thought it exceeded everything else i have seen from them but not uncommon for the first batch to be stellar - gets people in.6

that said, i've never been disappointed by woodford. 

what i am interested in is their master's collection. anyone any thoughts, greatly appreciated. i've never tried it. worth the extra? 

Ken, if you're generally enthusiastic about the Woodfords, you might like these, especially the "Batch Proof" version. I'm not the biggest fan of Woodford generally, especially when it comes to value. But the added punch of the barrel strength is nice on that one. But wow, spendy, at $130 a bottle here in New Jersey.

I might be willing to have a mixed drink, Old Fashioned or Manhattan, made with Woodford but thats about it. I dislike their flavor profile as it tastes very “wheaty” to me.

I have the cherry wood smoked barley masters collection and it's pretty good. I prefer a store pick double oaked though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk