The Cuban Crush... a silly but sometime effective means to cure a tunneling cigar

Yup, I’ll always do this when I get one of those “draw machine” quality rolls. I usually can tell when one of those “newer” sticks will perform as such... when it feels like balsa wood while handling by the foot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fugu said:

Thanks Ray, far more needed these days than a cigar-"reamer" (for the two of us anyway...;)). Good to hear from you, mate!

Yeah my friend, feeling is mutual. With how dry I store, I never really had the problems of some our mates. I have only had a handful to truly plugged cigars in my life. I would take the risk on those any day verses what the alternative is today.

Cheers amigo! -Ray

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PigFish said:

Yeah my friend, feeling is mutual. With how dry I store, I never really had the problems of some our mates. I have only had a handful to truly plugged cigars in my life. I would take the risk on those any day verses what the alternative is today.

Cheers amigo! -Ray

THIS /\  /\

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

No need for the draw machine when they are rolling 40 RGs that draw like straws

... they should try 'flaw' machines instead. 

Man or woman, IQ over 40, has smoked cigars for 1 year or more and has a tactile sense better than a granite slab!

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2018 at 8:14 PM, PigFish said:

I call this the Cuban crush, or the smash technique. Before you pitch that marginal cigar that tunnels give it a fighting chance and push the combustion back to the foot where it belongs. By crushing the 'tunnel' you can force the cigar to burn again on the foot at the cross-section instead of just burning axially up the core.

Cheers! -Piggy

Thanks for the advice, had a H.Uppman royal robusto that did this recently, I’ll give it a try, hopefully I don’t get another one!

Thanks for the tip Ray. I hadn't had this problem for years, and then bam, I had two in the past month or so that required crushing. One of the two corrected itself after the crush and smoked fine after that. The other worked for a few puffs after crushing and then tunnelled again and again until I put it down out of frustration. 

I'm literally having to do this now with a Trinidad Vigia. So annoying to have these sorts of quality issues on a cigar like these, but at least this makes it smokeable.

Happens all to often these days, particularly with Vigias :(