Your favourite Old School things?

Given its renaissance, vinyl is an obvious one, but this is a best of both worlds old school thing--format and content. Love this album! Killer soundtrack...

In whatever realm you choose, what are the favourite old school things in your world?IMG_7075.JPG

• Like 4

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mostly analog modular synthesizer. I've built it myself.

Maybe this isn’t necessarily old school exactly, but a cotton dress shirt and wool trousers. Dressing for work in general. I cannot stand the new “dri fit” “microfiber” whatever they want to call po

Don't see these very often!! Much better than the modern variety....in my opinion.

Lately it has been software that resides soley on my computer vs cloud/remote server based stuff.  We had a fiber outtage at work last week and it pretty much shut us down.  Half of our software links outside the building, and then we couldn't email anyone the quotes that were due during that time frame.

I'm also thinking I want to get me an older vehicle where the only transistors are located in the manual knob stereo.  Get back to the simpler things in life.

• Like 1

My made to measure hiking boots: triple welted, half-inch thick horse leather.  Even if I wore them every day, they would outlive me.

My daily wearer pocket watch: 150 years old and still keeping chronometer-level time, and it will last another 150 years when I am done and dust.

Hifi ... I am so very tempted by the rabbit hole of vinyl and valves, but so far I have resisted.  I am resolutely stuck on transistors.  No wifi or bluetooth in this household...

Agreed with Fuzz: old school board games (or card games) are still the best.  I play them regularly with the nieces/nephews, and even they are having fun.  

Books -- I know they are so old school compared to kindles, but I love the sound and feel of them.  

My bakelite cigar case -- it looks good, feels lovely in the hand and holds five petit coronas in perfect safety while travelling.

• Like 1

My they just don't build them like they used to list:

Retro Video Games / retro arcade games, ie pinball, Jukeboxes 

LAN parties 

Fly fishing with a bamboo poll. The action just can't be replicated.

Musical Instruments. Old stratocasters. Martin Committee Trumpets.

hi fi equipment in general not just vinyls. Amp tube rolling, etc. Expensive hobby.

Light bulbs that last 100 years.

Typewriters. Sometimes you just need to get away from a computer.

Antique firearms. Just about anything from WW2 actually.

Uh Vintage porcelain?

Horses as a primary means of transportation.

• Like 2

Old school courtesy: 1- When you open a door for women, they actually thank you!

2- Cars driving slow in the fast lane, pull to the right when you approach them!

3- Back in the day a fist fight was just that and no one pulling a gun!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Guantanamera said:

Don't see these very often!! Much better than the modern variety....in my opinion.

7640634438_3a01de0b44_o.jpg

Don't laugh ... I am having one of those installed in my home, as part of the reno.  For me, it is one of the enduring mysteries of humanity why bidets in the family bathroom are perfectly acceptable, but no-one seems to have a urinal....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doctorossi said:

I'm intrigued! Where'd you get it?

Flea market in the UK.  They do come up on Ebay now and again, but that can be tricky because vendors usually know nothing about cigars, and the standard sizes in those days were much smaller.  

It looks rather like this one

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bakelite-zigarren-Case-zigarrenbehalter-D-r-p-a-to-1930-1940-K440/152947145317?hash=item239c5c3a65:g:RzEAAOSwysRaqnBm

but was a lot cheaper....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akela3rd said:

Split cane bamboo fly rod. Eventually got my self one last year. Nothing fancy - it's a Chapman 7'6" #4. Nice action and looks great. I might trade it in next week for something better as I know there's a fly fishing shop in the town I'm staying in. They've had Hardy bamboo in the past... emoji848.png
The reel in this picture is the Cascapedia II, a copy of the original 1930's reel. Matches the rod perfectly.916e42b743ab96cfda7bc1eff6340f15.jpg

You wouldn't happen to own a copy of "Fly Fishing" by JR Hartley, perchance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You wouldn't happen to own a copy of "Fly Fishing" by JR Hartley, perchance?
My name? J. R. Hartley mofo.
  • Haha 4

On 02/07/2018 at 1:45 PM, Fuzz said:

Board games. Had a chance to play a board game (Talisman) with friends two weeks ago. I really miss the times I used to spend playing them when I was a kid.

With everyone looking down into their tablet/phone, it is good to get back to the old board games, where you actually have to interact with other players... and dodge the occasional game piece thrown at you.

Sure, some board games take a long time to set up (eg Shogun), compared to console/PC games. Hell, even an electronic version of Battleship still needs the position of pieces to be programmed in (why can't they design the game to detect the positions?), but that is part of the charm of board games.

Yeah, love a good board game. Have Axis & Allies (like Shogun, a bit of a pain in the arse to set up) and used to play that with my brother a lot when I was a kid. Great fun, and I agree: always much better than any PC/console games... Nothing like a good face-to-face battle! Have always been a massive chess fan, too. 

Guitars and amps. Old Pre-war Martins sound like pipe organs. A 52 Les Paul through an old Fender tweed deluxe or Old Marshall, can’t get there with modeling. Something about the way old tube amps respond to the vintage p-90s, sublime. They got it right back in 30s (acoustics) and 50s (electrics).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Film, especially color positives! 

Although I would never shoot professionally anymore with film, working with film on personal projects or on vacation is really nice. 

• Like 2

My music  60's/70's/80's and some 90's before grunge ruined Rock.

My 1GB iPod shuffle for walks and workouts.

My almost 10YO PC.  It has 6 cores, 16GB of memory, dual GPU's and plenty of SSD drives. I'd love a new system but for what I do, this thing still has power. 

I'm sure there's more, but these items jumped out at me.